Hahahahaha! YES! More pictures to add to the collection! When I have a fair amount, I'll be doing something special with them.

And yes, I'm a professional craft beer taster. :P

Also, /snide at Xuvial for the 1600x900 monitor.

You could at least be like me and be really edgy. My second monitor is a 5 year old Gateway 1680x1050 (yes, 16:10, not 16:9!) monitor.

i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Should quote where the OP said that. :P
    The original post lol....
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1130MHz/1750MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: 1440p BenQ GW2765HT 1080p LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

Today was a good day.

Well look what showed up this morning, 4 months after I won the giveaway

Also I just want to give credit to Ryan Shrout at PC Perspective who ran the livesteam/giveaway with JJ from ASUS for making sure I got the board in the end. I've liked that site since I first found it back when I was researching parts for my build in the first place.

If anyone wants the back story to this, my original post is here.

So I finally got to put all those other parts to good use and here is the result.

And while I was assembling all of this Blizz managed to pick the one block of a few hours in months when I didn't have a working PC to send me a hearthstone beta key (snagged the video card and hard drives from my old PC to use in the new one).

I jumped into LFR to take the new CPU (i5-4670k) for a test drive and on the "good" preset my fps on bosses went from 3 to 40-45 (was getting about 5-8 fps on the lowest preset on the old CPU).

I haven't overclocked it.........yet.

My GPU will probably be the next thing to get changed in a few months time, thinking of getting the R9 280x direct CU TOP, followed by a monitor (a 280x on a 1600x900 display sounds like a bit of a joke when not in eyefinity), maybe one of those Korean 1440p ones that are going for ~€250-300 on Ebay, put the 2 1440x900 beside it in portrait mode and mount the 1600x900 one on the pole above the rest.
    (realized that is not in the other shots)

As a side note, it seems this was well overdue, that dust
    Last edited by BattleHawk; 2013-10-08 at 11:14 PM.
    i5-4670k 4.2Ghz | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | Patriot 16GB DDR3 | Sapphire 290 Tri-X | Corsair RM850 | Samsung 840 250GB | X3 HDD 5TB total | Corsair 750D | Main monitor: Qnix QX2710 Evolution II LED PLS 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Titan
    That Sabertooth looks even more awesome when it's actually installed in a system, so congrats on the win!

I've personally just done a massive system rebuild.
    Before:
    - GTX670
    - P8P67 WS Revolution
    - 120GB Corsair Force 3 as main drive + 3 other SSD's

After/Now:
    - 7970 Matrix Platinum (based on the Ghz edition core)
    - Z87X-UD4H
    - 256GB Samsung 840 Pro as main drive + other SSD's remained in place

I bought the drive last week, and though it was perhaps foolish, I bought the rest of the parts before the weekend and they turned up on Monday (i.e. day before R9 NDA lifted/release). Benchmark results didn't sway me so I'm not upset that I was impatient. I'd had issues with NVIDIA for a long time, and switching to AMD was the last option. It might have been the CPU or board that fixed the issues, but all the problems seemed to be related to the card or NVIDIA drivers (based upon a lot of research of similar cases).

I've not needed to OC the card as it's plenty fast enough for even BF4 Ultra at 1440p (without AA, but resolution alleviates much of that need) and still push up to 57 FPS. Perhaps I'll give it a try once I've looked up some specifics on the card -- generally I've read that this card isn't too OC friendly, but I'll need to research it properly first. I have done some overclocking on the CPU, but could only get 4.2Ghz stable at 1.22V. Even going to 1.3V and tweaking LLC and other relevant voltages couldn't push it up any further without crashing during OCCT. I'm not that concerned as it's still turned out to be a decent enough improvement in performance, though perhaps the features of the board (e.g. fastboot) are going some way towards that feeling.

Unfortunately, Corsair Link doesn't work with Haswell chips, outright crashing in some cases, but not recognising temperatures when it does work. However, somewhat of a bonus of this board is that it's got 2 CPU fan headers just above the PCIE slots (along with 3-4 other headers), so I hook both H100i fans into there and control them from EasyTune (at least, if I want something more than the presets in BIOS). It's not ideal, but it'll do.

The new drive performance is pretty good as far as SSD's go. It's not really easy to compare them in 'real situations' instead of benchmarks as it almost always relies on access times which are almost always similar. I'll just say that I'm glad I made the switch even if just for the capacity increase.

It's 5:30AM here but I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. The card looks very sleek, especially alongside an 'out of the way' cooler like the H100i, but the entire system would look better with some Corsair Dominator Platinum, and either a Sabertooth or the 'shielded' ROG Board. I'm planning to replace the RAM with Dominator in a month or 2, and replace the 3 remaining smaller SSD's with a larger single one. After that, it'll probably just be a case switch (perhaps, not yet 100% decided).
    [...]

Gratz on purchases
    As far as gaming goes a 4670K isn't that much faster than an i7 2600K when you factor in overclocks. Sandy is a hell of a lot more OC-friendly than Haswell, I would say getting a 4670K to 4.5ghz (as shown below) is about as uncommon as getting a 2600K to 4.9-5ghz.

As for my own rig, I'm finding myself contemplating just saying "fuck it" and going with a Corsair 550D + Noctua D14 for a maximum silence build...the ol' Sniper still looks lovely but it's starting to vibrate/rattle more and more as it ages.
    A 550D would also technically let the GPU run cooler with a side intake which my current case doesn't allow.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-10-09 at 05:21 AM.

Hmm, I thought the numbers were a bit better than that.

Like a 4.2~GHz Haswell i5 would be equatable to a 4.8~GHz Sandy i5.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    OC friendly in performance or in clocks?
    Performance, Haswell wins. Clocks, Netburst and AMD FX-CPUs win.

Even though Haswell can't match SB in clocks, its superior IPC is still the winner. And if clocks matter that much, AMD FX or lucky extreme edition 1366 would be better. Or if you have access to a personal LN2 dispenser, Netburst or AMD's latest platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Gratz on purchases
    As far as gaming goes a 4670K isn't that much faster than an i7 2600K when you factor in overclocks.
    Not really, if you grab benchmarks where IPC matters more you can tell the real difference. A difference you can never make up for by (possibly) better overclocking results.

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Gratz on purchases
    As far as gaming goes a 4670K isn't that much faster than an i7 2600K when you factor in overclocks. Sandy is a hell of a lot more OC-friendly than Haswell, I would say getting a 4670K to 4.5ghz (as shown below) is about as uncommon as getting a 2600K to 4.9-5ghz.

As for my own rig, I'm finding myself contemplating just saying "fuck it" and going with a Corsair 550D + Noctua D14 for a maximum silence build...the ol' Sniper still looks lovely but it's starting to vibrate/rattle more and more as it ages.
    A 550D would also technically let the GPU run cooler with a side intake which my current case doesn't allow.
    Yeah, as I said, it might just be the bonus features of the platform over P67. I mean I can hook up monitors to the onboard instead of the card. As it is, due to the performance drop by Chrome being rendered via a different GPU to a game, I've got both 1440 and 1200 monitors on the card via the 2 DVI without issue, and my third 1280 monitors hooked up by HDMI to onboard. Fast boot is genuinely fast without being frustrating about getting into BIOS and being able to hook up all my drives to SATA 3 is a bonus.

I should perhaps clarify that I tended to run with HT off on the 2600K (I found that made my crash issues much worse even despite giving it 0.1-0.12V extra to account) and eventually settled it down to I think around 4.6Ghz, so we're better talking about a 4.5 2500K vs a 4.2 4670K which should be about 4-8 FPS difference (if I was still using the same GPU). I have noticed that I can start applications up much faster after logging in. Instead of waiting 4-5 seconds if I wanted to launch Chrome the moment the taskbar pinned icon appears, it starts up in 1-2. I guess I could pitch it all down on the general responsiveness.

Just a few issues I have noticed;
    - USB devices tending to freeze for a short time every so often -- Keyboard lights will flicker slightly and mouse will freeze in place.
    - Wifi card outright dropped connection and wouldn't reconnect without a reboot -- moving it down to the 16x@4x slot below the GPU (instead of the 1x@1x slot above) seems to have fixed it so I figure it's related to either heat causing the Atheros chip to crash, or a problem with the port, or a mix.

Also had a few visual artifacts in BF3 and WoW, but relogging/rejoining the game tends to fix it. It could be a cooling issue on the VRAM, so I'm gonna set up a more dedicated fan profile at some point.

I didn't reinstall Windows 8 prior to the switch, it just ran the hardware setup prior to login, and then set about installing the new devices once logged in (so far, I've not needed to install any drivers besides the AMD beta drivers for BF4). Might be related I suppose, but neither issue is anywhere nearly as frustrating as the crashes from the previous build. Apart from those 3 things, 1 of which looks to be fixed, I've had no problems.

I might try pushing the chip up again but generally, I'm happy enough with both responsiveness and performance that I'm not sure it warrants it. GPU doesn't overclock well (1150/1700 is about the max I can go to) but that was to be expected. At least it warns me by doing the whole green blob artifacting when running Heaven instead of just dying without so much as a whisper.

---

If you're wanting silence, then I think you're definitely on the right track. Even a H100i can be 'silent' if you replace both the fans with proper AF120 Quiet editions but yeah, I think the D14 would be quieter (I'm not sure how it'd compare, but the NZXT Havik 140 is also extremely quiet with fans at low), not to mention you wouldn't have to deal with the crappy link software. The 550D does look like it's a really quiet case. I mean, it looks as sturdy and heavy as my 800D, but without destroying the airflow capabilities and 'trying to be clever' by splitting airflow zones.
    Last edited by Chronalis; 2013-10-10 at 07:56 PM.
    [...]

Kind of old pics by now, thought I'd post them anyways before I change some stuff up.
    When I got the Define R4 and H100i, being a lazy ass.

After some cleaning

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse: Logitech G600
    Monitor: Asus PB278Q

Asus GTX 670 DirectCu II SLI
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair HX650
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Intel i5 3570k overclocked at 4.5Ghz (with Corsair H100i)
    Ocz Agility 3 60GB
    Ocz Verex 3 240GB
    8GB (2x4) 1333mhz CL9 DDR3 RAM

Going to buy a new PSU so I can sell my current one to a friend along with my old GTX 580. Maybe complete overkill, however I intend to get the Corsair AX1200 for absolute future proofing, along with Corsair's individually sleeved cables (white). After that, Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fans for the case and AF120 Performance fans for the h100i radiator. This gon b gud.

Disregard

/10 char
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2013-10-21 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagryth View Post
    Kind of old pics by now, thought I'd post them anyways before I change some stuff up.
    When I got the Define R4 and H100i, being a lazy ass

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse: Logitech G600
    Monitor: Asus PB278Q

Asus GTX 670 DirectCu II SLI
    Asus Sabertooth z77
    Corsair HX650
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Intel i5 3570k overclocked at 4.5Ghz (with Corsair H100i)
    Ocz Agility 3 60GB
    Ocz Verex 3 240GB
    8GB (2x4) 1333mhz CL9 DDR3 RAM

Going to buy a new PSU so I can sell my current one to a friend along with my old GTX 580. Maybe complete overkill, however I intend to get the Corsair AX1200 for absolute future proofing, along with Corsair's individually sleeved cables (white). After that, Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fans for the case and AF120 Performance fans for the h100i radiator. This gon b gud.
    Few things:

1. How do you like the ASUS PB278Q?
    2. How do you think a Corsair AX1200 would be 'absolute future proofing'?

I have a critique on the idea of it being future proofing, that being, power consumption for most computer parts is going down to the point of, people are starting to be able to run overclocked dual GPU systems with relatively lower wattage requirements. Where a 1000w PSU used to be absolutely required for such a thing, now? Not so much. Hell, what I can say is based on your system, you are pulling very minimal wattage from the wall, and the AX1200 would not only be 'complete overkill' (note word usage of would, not maybe) but also just a stupid waste of money. Save yourself some money and just go with an AX750i, if you must go with something overkill but be 'future-proofing' as much as I hate the term. Unless you plan to go 4xSLI+Intel 6 core OC'd and 2400MHz memory... it would be foolish.

Oh, don't forget the 8 HDDs and 4 SSDs.

Obviously, you can already tell your HX650 is handling your 2x670s OC'd and your CPU OC'd decently.

Other than that critique, I like the build!

Few things:

I have a critique on the idea of it being future proofing, that being, power consumption for most computer parts is going down to the point of, people are starting to be able to run overclocked dual GPU systems with relatively lower wattage requirements. Where a 1000w PSU used to be absolutely required for such a thing, now? Not so much. Hell, what I can say is based on your system, you are pulling very minimal wattage from the wall, and the AX1200 would not only be 'complete overkill' (note word usage of would, not maybe) but also just a stupid waste of money. Save yourself some money and just go with an AX750i, if you must go with something overkill but be 'future-proofing' as much as I hate the term. Unless you plan to go 4xSLI+Intel 6 core OC'd and 2400MHz memory... it would be foolish.

Obviously, you can already tell your HX650 is handling your 2x670s OC'd and your CPU OC'd decently.

I don't think many understand that a quality PSU running at 40-60% utilization delivers much more stable power and reduced power consumption compared to a quality PSU running at 10% utilization.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Few things:

Yeah I may have gotten a bit too excited looking at power consumption of crazy cards like the HD 7990 (One review I saw stated 555W at 100% load).
    This is why I don't like having a lot of money in my hands for spending, I end up doing stupid things on a whim. :P

Anyhow, to the ASUS PB278Q - I can't provide much of a comparison to other IPS (kind of) or 1440p monitors since it's my first one, however I'll say that it's absolutely gorgeous compared to 1080p and TN-panels. Looking at it alongside my old monitor, I notice the colours are completely off on the TN-panel monitor. It looks like it has a blue overlay on it.
    The pixel density of 1440p made more differences than I expected, most notably for text everywhere; it's much more pleasant to read (Even in WoW text somehow looks much better). Speaking of games, it also reduces the need for anti-aliasing by a LOT. It IS nearly 2x the pixel count of 1080p afterall. That being said, it does require some beefy GPU power to run games well. :P
    Responsiveness and such were a slight concern before purchasing, however slightly tweaking the "trace free" option on the monitor, I really can't recognize any ghosting or such compared to my old monitor.
    To sum things up, I absolutely love the monitor and I do not believe I can ever go back to TN-panels or 1080p. I hope we can some day have 120hz without overclocking on these types of monitors. I would absolutely recommend the monitor though. :P

Technically we already have 120Hz capability on 1440p... the monitor manufacturers are just being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagryth View Post
    Yeah I may have gotten a bit too excited looking at power consumption of crazy cards like the HD 7990 (One review I saw stated 555W at 100% load).
    Check again. That's most likely full system load.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Check again. That's most likely full system load.
    You're absolutely right. Now I feel even more stupid. :P
    I guess the absolute maximum if I wish to go for it would be something like AX860 then I guess... and even that would be way overkill. Not sure if the "i" versions are worth it for me either.

Edit: Actually no, I checked the original place I saw it at once more;

But those AMD cards aren't exactly efficient compared to their nvidia counterparts there :P
    Last edited by Sagryth; 2013-10-10 at 11:03 PM.

Technically we already have 120Hz capability on 1440p... the monitor manufacturers are just being lazy.
    I don't feel it's that simple, mainly because response time is something people tend to skip-over when talking about refresh rates. Certain Catleap/QNIX 1440p monitors can be overclocked to roughly ~85-90hz (which is great), but beyond that the response time starts interfering and it starts having backwards effects like stutter and in some cases horrible tearing due to the response times varying between 6ms and 15ms.

Meanwhile Asus and BenQ have 144hz 1ms models...and I really have my doubts whether IPS can achieve that @ 1440p. My next monitor upgrade will most likely be a product along those lines, until then my Asus 120hz will remain my primary gaming monitor (till it dies I guess :P).

So I made some clutter-related changes to my setup and added the GTX 780
    http://i.imgur.com/4PfZnnN.jpg
    http://imgur.com/a/CboQu#0

Pics of my brother's new PC that I made today featuring a Thermaltake Level 10 GT (black) case will be added probably tomorrow!

Edit: Sorry for cruddy phone picture quality
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    So I made some clutter-related changes to my setup and added the GTX 780
    http://i.imgur.com/4PfZnnN.jpg
    http://imgur.com/a/CboQu#0
    Edit: Sorry for cruddy phone picture quality
    That case looks stunning, but the white (they look white in some of the pics, but blue in others) fans and white cables really do add a touch of class to it. The (690? Titan?) looks decent, I'm just disappointed that they never made a version with a white cooler shroud (instead of the unpainted slate metal colour).

You know what'd make it even more awesome - painting a Sabertooth's 'cover' white and getting some white Corsair RAM (or some Dominator platinum) and perhaps a white backplate for the card

Damn, now you made me want a white 900D or white 750D
    [...]