Or be patient and wait for Noctua's black fans. Those were looking pretty nice last year at whatever convention it was. Hopefully they'll be launched soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Or be patient and wait for Noctua's black fans. Those were looking pretty nice last year at whatever convention it was. Hopefully they'll be launched soon!
    iirc those were for industrial customers only, and at the time of announcement, noctua had no plans to release them to consumers

i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    ROG Swift PG348Q | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

noctua is sticking with the current colour scheme to customers as it brands noctua straight away from everyone else, they see that as more important

Well it's not the colour which was important about those fans, it was the 6pool drive which should also be implemented in their consumer fans.

was in reference to its branding that comes off its performance, they wanted to stand out, the thought of making someones system look nice in their eyes is meaningless in this case which is the message i tried to get across

Why is everyone assuming that noone likes the looks. I personally like the looks of the noctua fans..

I personally do not mind the color either. The color is very warm and unique to Noctua.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

I don't really dislike the look of Noctua fans, but I really have trouble getting them to mix well with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    iirc those were for industrial customers only, and at the time of announcement, noctua had no plans to release them to consumers
    What the hell, what's the benefit for industrial customers to get black fans instead of brown'ish?
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    What the hell, what's the benefit for industrial customers to get black fans instead of brown'ish?
    The "industrial fans" run at over 2000 RPM, are made of a specially tough plastic and are designed for longevity and high airflow over everything else. At least that is what the Noctua rep said in the interview with Linus at CES (or maybe Computex) last year.
    Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Samsung 951PRO nVME 512GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic X850

Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    for a company that makes very good computer fans, why make black fans that look like every thing else that other manufacturers make ?

industrial fans dont get show cased, consumer systems do, and the current colour scheme they use, well people will know, this awesome rig uses noctua straight away even when operational, think people are missing this so much, they dont care about what you think the system looks, they care for people knowing that you are using it, its brand recognition

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Comparing the specs to Noctua NFS-12B it is a bit of a letdown, lower CFM, same static pressure at a tiny bit louder noise, even a much cheaper fan like Enermax T.B Silence has the same CFM and noise but a bit better static pressure for half the price.
    Nice alternatives. He says he doesn't like the color scheme of Noctua fans, so I offered up the NB's. I really don't understand what the cat fight about bearings is. Does it spin? Is it near silent? does it have a MTBF of 100k+ hours? Does it push 40+CFM? then whats the real diff? I can see higher CFM's appealing to those who are running air cooling (Such as the gent that I quoted), but unless you are running a single, 80+MM rad to cool 5+ waterblocks, you don't need a windstorm in your case.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

Well, my console gaming setup got upgraded. (55 inch yay)

Lights up at night. It was a bitch installing those lights. Bonus IM3 Piano Kill. Shitty iPhone 5 Cam.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-01-21 at 01:12 PM.

I just managed to get this working, figured I'd share. I know a lot of people like LED lights for everything: I don't. I like just ordinary white light - even on my Christmas tree. I know most people opt for things like the Ikea lights or whatever but the idea of flipping colours with a remote control or dial isn't something I find appealing. I've been kinda bored and feeling like I could do a bit of home improvement so I picked up a project. First I bought a bunch of these:

Unlike other lights they'll connect to your wireless network and you can control them with software.

I setup this nice dim incandescent yellow (2800k for photo nerds) that I've missed since swapping to other LED/CFL bulbs: just a dim light with enough to read labels on disks and stuff. There are two other lamps directly overhead in a ceiling fixture: I replaced those too so they match, but I couldn't get them in the frame because my back was against the wall (small room) and iPhones don't have amazing cameras.

Then I looked up the API And then I wrote up a little program to pull CPU temperature (It's doubtlessly worse than CoreTemp, but I'm just going for proof of concept here). When CPU temperature goes over 40° the lights change to a pink/red colour to let you know its getting hot.

All of the lights are synced to dim to the same colour together so the whole room can alert you to "something's up", not just the backlight or side lamps. I'll probably pick up a few more bulbs for the living-room/den so I can use them to alert me to things like "your upload is finished", "you need to swap backup drives", etc.

While the end-user software for these lights is pretty fucking terrible, the API is well documented, easy to use, and simple to program using pretty much any language because there are plenty of pre-rolled classes to handle it. I wrote one for Ruby when experimenting but my demo app on the Windows PC is C#. If anybody has a set of Hue lights and wants to help experiment, give a shout and I'll share code. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with them, and yeah it's pointless but still, it's kind of cool that you can actually do this sort of thing if you want to.
    Last edited by evn; 2014-01-21 at 09:23 AM.

That.. is ..s quite simply .. badass, sir. /Kudos. I srsly dig it, both the concept, and the actual use of it. Shame I suck at anything to do with code.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    Nice alternatives. He says he doesn't like the color scheme of Noctua fans, so I offered up the NB's. I really don't understand what the cat fight about bearings is. Does it spin? Is it near silent? does it have a MTBF of 100k+ hours? Does it push 40+CFM? then whats the real diff? I can see higher CFM's appealing to those who are running air cooling (Such as the gent that I quoted), but unless you are running a single, 80+MM rad to cool 5+ waterblocks, you don't need a windstorm in your case.
    Kind of moot. The only reason to use noctua fans is because they are silent and move a lot of air, and, are considered one of the best at that. There's a ton of random fans that have better colour scheme but don't either have the performance nor silence to really be an alternative for the noctuas.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Kind of moot. The only reason to use noctua fans is because they are silent and move a lot of air, and, are considered one of the best at that. There's a ton of random fans that have better colour scheme but don't either have the performance nor silence to really be an alternative for the noctuas.
    I feel this is a bit too generalised. "the only reason"? Hardly. They're also the best looking fans on the market with a very good colour scheme, performance, longevity as well as coming with industry leading packaging and accessories. Liking the colourscheme or not, no one has to. But it's far better than yet another tacky "red and black everything!!". I like be quiet! a lot as well, but wouldn't use the because of the mounting system.

Colors and Form Threads appear to be a hot combination I see.

Found a nice Fan available in 120/140mm
    that matches my color scheme quite well:

I'm soo going to peel off that sticker before installation.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Now THAT is what I call a neat idea :°

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I feel this is a bit too generalised. "the only reason"? Hardly. They're also the best looking fans on the market with a very good colour scheme, performance, longevity as well as coming with industry leading packaging and accessories. Liking the colourscheme or not, no one has to. But it's far better than yet another tacky "red and black everything!!". I like be quiet! a lot as well, but wouldn't use the because of the mounting system.
    i think red/black is quickly becoming the new UV/Acrylic, in 2005 nothing was cooler than a full transparent case and UV everything, now its considered tacky, same thing with massive cases, i think people are moving towards a no wasted space and mature/refined look with less color flash

i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    ROG Swift PG348Q | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i think red/black is quickly becoming the new UV/Acrylic, in 2005 nothing was cooler than a full transparent case and UV everything, now its considered tacky, same thing with massive cases, i think people are moving towards a no wasted space and mature/refined look with less color flash
    I welcome this change. I've always preferred cases with simple aesthetics and great functionality over "flashy" cases with lots of plastic and LEDs, but little-to-no functionality.