Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You're starting to make me think Norway doesn't use artificial lights... at all. Don't you have lamps in your house?

Though, I do realize natural light is far nicer.
    Natural light is not only much nicer, it's orders of magnitude easier to work with. No mixed light colors, no awkward setup, you just need a nearby window.

Fluorescent lighting in my basement:

:P But yes, as I said already, I agree natural lighting is nicer. But basement. =/
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

I think we've got very different perspective of what's acceptable lighting though.

When are you going to return it? *giggles*

Doesn't look too shabby anyways.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

:P But yes, as I said already, I agree natural lighting is nicer. But basement. =/
    hey I have the same asus display (although yours looks smaller than my 27"?).. and whats that to the right of it?

For whatever weird reason, I prefer fluorescent lighting compared to incandescent or natural light. Of course, for gaming or computer work only. Feels as if I can concentrate better with mostly white light instead of natural hues.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

DAT ISO
    10char

The Patient

If there are no windows you're supposed to use a desk lamp. Overhead fluorescent lighting puts unnecessary strain on your eyes. Not to mention, the ambiance is just wrong for creating a cozy gaming lair.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I think we've got very different perspective of what's acceptable lighting though.
    I wouldn't be surprised, I mean, we were raised in very different lifestyle-countries and what-not. I'm not saying that picture is the best, but I mean, at least it is well-lit, compared to many posters on here. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    When are you going to return it? *giggles*

Doesn't look too shabby anyways.
    I ultimately decided not to return it! :O Crazy, I know. I decided I love the look of it, it's very sleek. While now I am stuck with a non-VESA 23" 1080p AH-IPS display, I realize that if I want to start to try controlling my spending more, I can start that by not upgrading this and dropping likely a good $500~ or so more. I don't NEED 1440p, hell I didn't NEED this display, but I got it cheap and it's pretty minor compared to other options and still looks great. I weighed cost value stuff, you know? Economics whatever something.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxo View Post
    hey I have the same asus display (although yours looks smaller than my 27"?).. and whats that to the right of it?
    I'd never want a 1080p 27" display, but yeah there is the ASUS MX279H, which I saw in person. Not too much bigger, actually, but I'd rather not stretch the pixels that much. To the right is my Blue Snowball USB microphone. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Exaelitus View Post
    If there are no windows you're supposed to use a desk lamp. Overhead fluorescent lighting puts unnecessary strain on your eyes. Not to mention, the ambiance is just wrong for creating a cozy gaming lair.
    I wonder how correct this is. I wouldn't be surprised, but I've been doing alright with this. The lights are really behind me and overhead, so it isn't like they are directly within my eyesight, so that's not too bad. Just some calm background lighting, though I am trying to get another lighting arrangement, as I'd like something warmer and more homey.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

I realize that if I want to start to try controlling my spending more, I can start that by not upgrading
    Controlling spending is for chumps!

Be cool. Waste all the money! Don't be like your parents who saved. Retirement is old-school. Work until you die is the new hip thing! That's why minimum wage doesn't track cost of living any more, so that you don't make too much money and accidentally uncool and not working when you're 60.
    Last edited by evn; 2014-02-06 at 05:26 AM.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post

Be cool. Waste all the money! Don't be like your parents who saved. Retirement is old-school. Work until you die is the new hip thing! That's why minimum wage doesn't track cost of living any more, so that you don't make too much money and accidentally uncool and not working when you're 60.
    Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy shit! O_O

2x1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSDs? Do my eyes deceive me?! *blinks and refocuses* O_O

To be honest I'm probably going to be getting a 240-500GB soon enough, though I am honestly probably good with what I have right now. But if I go back to WoW and get ESO, and get Diablo 3 ROS... yeah, maybe I should just shut up and order one. :P

I try to buy disks in pairs (or at least I buy twice as much space as I need) so that I always have a backup for every disk in use. One goes in the computer and the other goes in the safe deposit box. With SSDs and a cheap esata bay you can cut backup times from about 4 hours down to 45-minutes per terabyte. I won't do backups if they mean I have to wait around all weekend so I've been slowly replacing all my spinning rust disks with SSDs.

The reason I needed two "right now" is more complicated (bought a new laptop on the weekend with larger internal drive) but the "backups take too long" is the driving motivation.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

<snip>

Shit dude you go all out.

i7 4770K
    MSI Z87 M-Power mobo
    16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz
    Corsair RM850 PSU
    Corsair 400R Case
    Dual PNY GTX 760's OC 2GB
    Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD
    WD 2TB HDD
    Razer Naga
    Razer Anansi
    27" Asus VG278H 120Hz/3D display

That's not even the half of it. http://i.imgur.com/x4cSbw0.jpg

I still use those SSDs as a system disk (raid 0, it's okay because I backup!) but swapped out the HDDs a couple months ago.

As long as you don't spend money which you don't have, I don't see a problem.
    Those are some lovely disks.

http://i.imgur.com/pQUdgwPm.jpg

awesome

also, don't spend the best part of your life grinding away so that you can afford to die

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

also, don't spend the best part of your life grinding away so that you can afford to die
    I think its the balance that matters. We all know we'll get old and probably want to stop working, but I don't think it makes sense to put off living until you're too old to do the things you want. You've got obligations to your future self to ensure a comfortable old-age and to your family to provide a certain level of security and predictability. You've also got an obligation to present self to enjoy life. Serving one of those masters to the exclusion of others is the path to misery.

I don't like computers (my vices are motorcycles and education), but I know many people do. If buying a bigger screen or faster GPU today makes you happy just because you have it: more power to you. I might criticize the decision of somebody who upgrades from an i5 to an i7 with the express purpose of making WoW faster because it won't work. If they do the same upgrade just because they want bigger numbers and having a faster computer is something they desire then I've got nothing to say. It might not be cost effective but who said our hobbies should be cheap or that only inexpensive things should make you happy?

This discussion isn't on-topic what-so-ever, definitely belongs in the chat thread (if anywhere).

Something on-topic then?