Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Looks indeed like a trash can. But then again, if it's a Mac it's already an obsolete trash can
    given the right work load that mac will run circles around your computer, instead of hating apple, people should be buying them, at least one (mac mini is like $600), how much more advanced of a computer user will you be if you know not only windows, but OSX as well

i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    Dell U3415w | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

I love OS X. Hoping to eventually have a dual boot on my current system, and use Windows for gaming, OSX for my audio / video production. Just waiting on some updated stuff for UEFI BIOS utilities from a certain site, then ill be g2g with a second SSD having OS X on it, wheee.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

Gotten my 780 TF MSI back from RMA (fan closest to ports was rattling +/- 8months after purchase), they upgraded me to a brand new lightning, so freakin' happy.
    It's not a Ti but holy hell what a beast of a card!

Quote Originally Posted by thekillermg View Post
    No need to be rude.
    gotta comment on this, there have been users here who have been rude to other posters on their builds such as wiring, part choices, mods etc..., what makes this mac pro purchase more special that people cant comment like this?

no need to be rude to begin with, but hypocrisy at its best here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    Literally just finished building it, window mod inc this week. Also perhaps some better cable management. (though that H80i is making it impossible to hide all the cables as was my dream unless I do some soldering which I'd rather avoid for now )

In general, beautification process is not complete :P
    Also, crappy iphone camera, deal with it

[]http://i.imgur.com/cWgWdkAl.jpg[/]

[]http://i.imgur.com/zfh6Tsll.jpg[/]
    You know what, those "gold" Asus motherboards actually don't look too bad when most of the "gold-ish" colour is covered by coolers, ram and a graphics card
    Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Samsung 951PRO nVME 512GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic X850

Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    gotta comment on this, there have been users here who have been rude to other posters on their builds such as wiring, part choices, mods etc..., what makes this mac pro purchase more special that people cant comment like this?

no need to be rude to begin with, but hypocrisy at its best here.
    Not saying that has happened, not saying it hasn't. Was just trying to prevent a war that tends to happen when these things get brought up. /endstory

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You know what, those "gold" Asus motherboards actually don't look too bad when most of the "gold-ish" colour is covered by coolers, ram and a graphics card
    Actually, with white leds, they look really good. The camera pics up white led as blue-ish though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    given the right work load that mac will run circles around your computer, instead of hating apple, people should be buying them, at least one (mac mini is like $600), how much more advanced of a computer user will you be if you know not only windows, but OSX as well
    My dad is an iSheep, and I wind up having to fix everything that is wrong with his stupid iMac. I can work with the OS, but by no means are their computers of intelligent design. The Mac Mini isn't horrible, it's fine for someone on a budget that needs a system that is of a small form factor and doesn't have massive amounts of features that bloat the price up, but for advanced power users who need more robust hardware you either have to overpay for a Mac Pro or you have to go Windows. I will have more respect for Apple when they let me start installing Mac OS X on my own computers rather then their crappy systems like the iMac with obsolete hardware.

i5 [email protected], R9 290 Windforce, 16GB DDR3 1600, HAF XB Evo, Dark Rock Pro 3 Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    My dad is an iSheep, and I wind up having to fix everything that is wrong with his stupid iMac. I can work with the OS, but by no means are their computers of intelligent design. The Mac Mini isn't horrible, it's fine for someone on a budget that needs a system that is of a small form factor and doesn't have massive amounts of features that bloat the price up, but for advanced power users who need more robust hardware you either have to overpay for a Mac Pro or you have to go Windows. I will have more respect for Apple when they let me start installing Mac OS X on my own computers rather then their crappy systems like the iMac with obsolete hardware.
    overpay what? price out a desktop with equal specs to the mac pro

i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    Dell U3415w | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

/sigh

Apple are generally obnoxiously expensive, but don't apply that brush to every product without spending a moment to check what you're getting versus what the price is. The newest Mac Pro, the socalled 'trashbins', sport FirePro cards that normally would be obscenely more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    /sigh

Apple are generally obnoxiously expensive, but don't apply that brush to every product without spending a moment to check what you're getting versus what the price is. The newest Mac Pro, the socalled 'trashbins', sport FirePro cards that normally would be obscenely more expensive.
    This.
    While i don't like apple, i have to admit that the new mac pro is actually not that expensive. If you spec out a similar pc based system, you end up with pretty much the same price. Only that the mac pro is about the size of a small Mini-ITX system and the pc is a normal-sized (or at least µATX) tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    overpay what? price out a desktop with equal specs to the mac pro
    I checked for the gpu's these things have and i cant seem to find them, at least not one with a price on it.
    On the other hand anyone who can actually make use of it probably doesn't care about what it costs and uses it as a bussines expense.

On a different note, there is no arguing with the fact that their midsection products are very overpriced, try adding one tb of storage, or a few gb's of memory on a regular mac, you'll pay its price as if it was gold, the iphone being the best example.
    And if you don't believe that i'll gladly pair up a pc versus an imac.

What apple does have are very good designers/engineers, and a glorious marketing department since half of their customers only buys their stuff because of the brand, which in it's own shows what kind of genius jobs was.

In the end it comes down to one thing, something is worth as much as you're willing to spend on it.

We aren't saying the mid-tier/consumer-end products aren't overpriced, they most certainly are, however, this Mac Pro, which is really not a consumer-grade product, as it is more focused on people doing graphic design work for businesses, etc, which means business expense, like you said.

AMD FirePro and NVidia's equivalent, the Quadro series, are both enterprise-grade hardware and thus very very expensive... but have their own benefits plus much better support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

I checked for the gpu's these things have and i cant seem to find them, at least not one with a price on it.
    The D700 GPU in the mac pro has the same specs as the W9000 FirePro.The D500 is roughly the same as the W8000 GPU in other workstations, and the D300 is roughly the same as the w7000. Apple clocks their GPUs down a bit (about 10% under stock) which will help with reliability/longevity, but probably also owes a bit to being crammed into such a tiny case. Fortunately, in the reviews we've seen posted (ars technica and others) throttling doesn't seem to be a concern so they must be doing something right. Apple does the 'consumer style' base/boost clock speed trick so at idle your power draw will be very low, where as many workstation GPUs run at their full ordinary clock speed all the time.

The biggest difference is in GPU memory. The low end D300 mac pro ships with 2gb of memory per card, most OEM workstation builders (HP, Lenovo, etc) are going to ship 4gb. At the high-end, they're all shipping 6gb per card. Also, while the system memory is ECC DDR3, the VRAM on Apple's graphics cards do not use ECC-GDD5. We don't have any evidence that this was a bad choice, but it's still a difference worth noting.
    Last edited by evn; 2014-03-23 at 08:47 PM. Reason: removed double post

I moved into my new place a couple weeks ago and finally got around to taking some pictures:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
    Memory: 16GB Mushkin Blackline Enhanced
    SSD1: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4
    SSD2: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3
    Video Card: MSI GTX 680
    Case: SilverStone TJ08B-E
    Power Supply: SeaSonic X750W
    Primary Monitor: 27" QNIX QX2710
    Mouse: ZOWIE GEAR AM
    Mouse Pad: Steelseries Qck
    Keyboard: ZOWIE GEAR Celeritas
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-03-23 at 09:59 PM.

Drew, your computer is upside down. When did you go to a SilverStone case?

I got a new toy, finally upgraded to a real mousepad! The little wrist rest is so smooth and soft.

Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Drew, your computer is upside down. When did you go to a SilverStone case?
    I've had it for quite sometime, I've posted pictures of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I've had it for quite sometime, I've posted pictures of it before.
    Lies lies!

My mousepad is obviously cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    Got some new toys, also RIP my Ducky Shine 3

Basically replaced my Logitech G602

Edit: My power plug looks shocked haha
    Which version of the DT 990's did you get? I've got the DT 990 Premium 32 Ohm, and I absolutely fucking love them (I got them summer of 2012 and they are still going strong with many hundreds of hours put into them (if not thousands, I listen to a lot of music with them).

Either way, DT 990's are amazing, you should enjoy them a lot!

What are you driving them with? I'm using a Xonar Essence STX soundcard for mine, and it has worked wonderfully so far (it was a tremendous improvement over the default soundcard on the motherboard, also, I like that it has a 6.3 mm headphone jack slot, so that I can use the 6.3 mm jack with my DT 990's instead of the 3.5 mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Which version of the DT 990's did you get? I've got the DT 990 Premium 32 Ohm, and I absolutely fucking love them (I got them summer of 2012 and they are still going strong with many hundreds of hours put into them (if not thousands, I listen to a lot of music with them).

Either way, DT 990's are amazing, you should enjoy them a lot!

What are you driving them with? I'm using a Xonar Essence STX soundcard for mine, and it has worked wonderfully so far (it was a tremendous improvement over the default soundcard on the motherboard, also, I like that it has a 6.3 mm headphone jack slot, so that I can use the 6.3 mm jack with my DT 990's instead of the 3.5 mm)
    Pretty sure his audio setup is the Schiit Modi for DAC and then Magni for headphone amp. Really nice American-built audiophile hardware.

www.schiit.com