The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if I had to suggest Razer, I certainly wouldn't suggest the Anansi. I can see why some would think it is cool, but take a step back, first off, read some of the reviews on it... it does after all have a pretty high amount of negative to positive reviews in terms of ratio... that's not a good sign.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-016-_-Product

Frankly, it isn't mechanical and at a price of $90, it should be. Or at least partially-mechanical. Plus, that touch screen under the space bar that a lot of people thought was cool? Not really, the placement will mess with your typing, and you'll be forced to lift your thumbs and wrists up, more or less, to not be messing with it accidentally. That's some of the issues we've heard from owners of the keyboard on this forum.

If you want a real keyboard, go mechanical. If it must be Razer, get their Blackwidow/Blackwidow Ultimate. (Do note, I do not endorse either of these keyboards and generally think they're crap. You want a real mechanical keyboard? See below.)

Some good options would be the Corsair K70/95,* or almost anything from Ducky, DAS, Filco, Steelseries or Cooler Master mechanical keyboard lines.

*And just because I listed the Corsairs first does not mean they are better than the others, trust me on that. This coming from someone who has previously used a Corsair K90 and now uses the Corsair K70 that Cyanotical sent him. :P
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2014-06-01 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added Filco to suggestions and vehement opposition to Razer BW/BWU
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If you want a real keyboard, go mechanical. If it must be Razer, get their Blackwidow/Blackwidow Ultimate.
    Sorry, i don't agree. Mechanical isn't a definition of quality. Especially if you then mention Razar Blackwidow who uses knockoff switches.
    Either get a proper domeswitch, or get a proper mechanical (daskeyboard, filco). Not this hybrid-worst-of-both-worlds stuff just to get some ticks on the box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Sorry, i don't agree. Mechanical isn't a definition of quality. Especially if you then mention Razar Blackwidow who uses knockoff switches.
    Either get a proper domeswitch, or get a proper mechanical (daskeyboard, filco). Not this hybrid-worst-of-both-worlds stuff just to get some ticks on the box.
    I disagree as well, I'm not saying I really endorse it. Notice where I said "if it must be Razer..."?

That's what we call, more or less, giving up, or giving in, and potentially also insinuating that Razer isn't the best choice. Please do notice the fact that I also mentioned DAS and had I remembered the name, Filco would be in my suggestions as well, allow me to edit it in. Allow me to also edit in my vehement opposition to going for the Blackwidow, it was more a "if you seriously just can't avoid Razer and HAVE to get them because oooo cool, LEDs! ooooo snakes! Then this. I can't vouch for it being an incredible keyboard but I have friends IRL who love theirs and they are working. Did I like them? Not necessarily, but they work, and I'd prefer a fake mechanical over a rubber dome any day. :P

But still, I have a real mechanical, so there's no question.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Do you have a source for that claim? If they say they're selling you Cherry-Blue/Red/Brown and actually shipping UncleJims Discount Switches then that's a big deal: it's fraudulent.

If you just think that their own "custom" switches that they've started putting in keyboards (which look a lot like cherry switches) are somehow worse than what they used to sell, that's a different charge. I have no experience with razer's switches, but so far as I can tell they've never tried to pass off the components in their hardware as something it isn't.
    Would be interesting to find out.

Personally I think Razer's products incorporate just a bit too much plastic... though I must admit, I'm quite pleased with my 2008 Razer Death Adder... which is still going 5.5 years after I bought it. I love it, it's comfortable, fantastic. Would I buy most of their other mice/products? Noooooooooo... no no no.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    the new razer switches are not knockoffs, (its takes all of 10 seconds of googling to find that out), Cherry's patent on the switch design ran out, they are relying on the fact that the switches are simply hard to make to keep themselves in business

Razer is getting their own switches made, which are basically custom MX blues and MX Browns with the actuation point raised, which btw they are claiming lasts about 10 million keystrokes longer than stock Cherrys

also, mechanical is better always, despite some people's opinions otherwise

7+ Year Old Account
    what did i underkill on. I tried to do research.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overkill: motherboard, CPU, GPU(unless you plan to play games like BF4 maxed, Crysis etc), 32GB of RAM (8GB of RAM is more than sufficient for 99% of computer gamers), 850 watt PSU...

Underkill: 120 GB SSD nowadays is just considered small, considering for not much more money, you can get a 240GB SSD. Also, the Corsair Neutron GTX is old, it was good for its day, but it has fallen behind the Crucial m500/550, Samsung 840/840 Pro/840 Evo series, as well as some Intels, however I am not well versed in Intel's 100 different SSD lines. -.- Surely you could use a HDD that's a bit bigger than 1TB, no?

The thing about SSDs now, is that the bigger the size, the more you'll get for your money. For instance, a 120GB SSD might be at a cost of 70 to 80 cents per Gigabyte, where as a 240+GB option will only be 50 to 60 cents. Buying 120GB SSDs was a thing back when SSD prices were still through the roof, like back in 2011.

I also must ask, you say you did research, yet this is your second post here on mmo-champion, so you certainly didn't do any legitimate research here. If you were to give us a budget and ask us to put the pieces together on a site like pcpartpicker.com, we'd have done it. This is a classic case of buying and then asking how it is. Don't worry, a lot of people have done it. :P

Personally I cringe at the guesses of the price for your computer that come to mind, as it is probably way overpriced, but that 120GB SSD and only 1TB HDD will be holding you back to some extent, where had you saved money on going for 8-16GB of RAM, as opposed to 32GB, and going for a Z87/97 setup with a proper Intel Haswell i5 or i7, you could have gotten a solid 240-480GB SSD and 2TB HDD and been very solid. Not to mention saving money on a smaller PSU.

Now if you only play one game, say for instance WoW, the SSD will be fine and big enough, but if you care about playing other games, Crysis, BF, TESO, Skyrim, Wildstar, etc, your SSD will run out of space before you can say, "But wait..."

:P If you'd like help building a computer that will be a better expenditure of your funds however, just create a new thread, and give us a budget and we'll be more than happy to piece out a fantastic budget build! (Not a budget build like cheap, but best performance per dollar.)
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd return it if I could, the entire setup is just so "messy" with high-end parts yet skipping out on other aspects.

We're drifting off-topic
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this is a discussion about someone's gaming setup, granted a gaming setup that they have not received yet, so one that is also lacking pictures.

If anything, we're steering them towards a likely better setup. ^_^

Zakelrod, if you don't mind me asking... how much is that Ironside setting you back? =X
    "A flower.

7+ Year Old Account
    2800$
    DeltrusDisc- for now i only plan on playing watchdogs and minecraft. By research i looked up people who could build me one, and the parts themselves. I really didnt want to ask for help from a forum because i had a strong feeling that most of what i would get is opinionated. I went with high-end parts so i would have a computer that would last for years and i wouldn't have to upgrade. I cheaped out on the drives because I plan on only playing 2 games, however as I start playing others I will upgrade.

Those are terrible lifechoices. And while you will see varying opinions, the fact that you decided you'd rather live in a bubble entirely is daft, I'm sorry.

Your lifechoices are terrible for a number of reasons:
    a. Future-proofing is vaporware. Hardware isn't magic, it won't magically last longer just because you spent more money on it. How exactly will your current choices net you a longer lifespan for your computer? Ironically, while you say you want a future proof machine, yet by building such an unbalanced build you have accomplished nothing of the sort.
    b. You damn well better be doing more than playing 2 games if you're cruising right past general consumer-grade hardware. The LGA-2011 platform isn't for your run-of-the-mill gamer, nor is 32GB of RAM going to help you at all when playing videogames unless you start using a RAM-disk for gaming.
    c. If you want enthusiast-grade... then don't quit halfway through. Buying a 4820k on a RIVE board, 32GB of RAM and a GTX 780, then picking up the inexpensive RM850? What? 120GB SSD? Are you serious?

The above I realize is going to sound quite pretentious, but you come here and tell us we're opinionated, when we sure as shit would've cried out in unison that you should definitely be building something else if you're just playing Minecraft and Watch_Dogs. And then we'd probably have hooked you up with an 4670k, 8GB RAM, a GTX 770 and other well-rounded components. No bloody magic there man.

10+ Year Old Account
    To add to Drunkenvalley's point... yes, forum posters can be opinionated, but do you think we get anything, anything out of your purchase, of whatever parts computer you ultimately go for? No. We are forum posters on a 3rd party WoW forum, with simply a shared love for all things computer! We've loved learning about computers and technology together, teaching each other how to build computers, sharing our experiences both good and bad, our own unique situations we've had to deal with, our collective knowledge that we could pass on to someone is worth so much more, because not only would save money on a potentially over-priced build (like what you're getting), you'd learn how to build your own and never need to worry about paying someone else to do it for you again. Companies like Ironside are the opinionated ones you need to watch out. Ironside is going to be like a car mechanic, for instance, trying to sell you based on fear and your own ignorance.

"OH! That computer will pull a lot of watts from the wall! You need an 850 watt PSU!" - No, you don't need 850 watt, a 650 watt could power this system, fyi. And no, a bit of overclocking or adding a couple fans won't make up the 200 watt difference. This isn't the worst part though, so let me move on.

"32 GB of RAM will give you the memory you need so your game never slows down!" - Yeah, sure, do you run 300 Google Chrome pages all at once whilst doing everything else? I didn't think so. 32 GB of RAM is something you simply do not need.

"An Intel Enthusiast line CPU and motherboard will last longer!" - As Drunkenvalley said, nope. It's actually been pretty shady lately, Cyanotical had ASUS stop giving him support for his ASUS Rampage IV E, an LGA 2011 X79 motherboard along with his i7-3960X.

So on and so forth.

The simple point is, yes, a forum may collectively rip your choices to shreds, (you certainly aren't getting the worst of it, believe me) but the thing is, only you will benefit in the end, if you choose to go with what information we try to pass on to you. For $2,800, allow me to build you an awesome computer that would make that one weep with the feelings of weakness.

So I tried going all out and I still didn't reach the $2,800 price. Wow. (I suppose if you were buying from a taxing retailer/e-tailer, then this would maybe go over, depending on how bad your taxes are.)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zwgRzy
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zwgRzy/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zwgRzy/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Best Buy)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: EVGA X79 Dark EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($244.99 @ Micro Center)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($243.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($759.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($21.74 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($132.60 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $2655.25
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 07:37 EDT-0400)

Now if I had to do something that was less a "let's spend money" scenario and more a "let's build a solid computer," I'd drop the super fancy mobo and Intel Enthusiast-grade CPU, and probably the GPU too, and go for a more reasonable build. You'd save a few hundred right there. Then, depending on how big your data folders are, the HDD could be 1TB as opposed to 4TB. Save a couple hundred more. Perhaps you already have a Windows key you'd like to use, save another $130.

See what I mean? I think all of us are going to advise you to cancel that order, as it's an enormous waste of your money. Mind you, I get it, no one, not myself, not Drunkenvalley, not anyone, likes being told that the choices they made with their money were bad ones. If you want to stick with the build, that's fine and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but you'll always have a nag at the back of your head, a "what if I'd gone with their suggestions?"

Let us know what you feel like doing, but either way, I'm glad you ultimately came here. Cheers!
    "A flower.

My 4k-gaming build:

CM Storm Stryker Gaming Big Tower
    XFX ProSeries Core Edition 850W PSU
    Intel Core i7-4770K
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V CPU Cooler
    HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black
    ASUS Z97-DELUXE, Socket-1150
    MSI GeForce GTX 780 Gaming 3GB PhysX
    Crucial M500 SSD 2,5" 480GB
    Seagate Barracuda® 2TB

How do I add pictures? Upload them to some image site and use some command with its link in my post?

Quote Originally Posted by Serratth View Post
    My 4k-gaming build:

CM Storm Stryker Gaming Big Tower
    XFX ProSeries Core Edition 850W PSU
    Intel Core i7-4770K
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V CPU Cooler
    HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black
    ASUS Z97-DELUXE, Socket-1150
    Crucial M500 SSD 2,5" 480GB
    Seagate Barracuda® 2TB

How do I add pictures? Upload them to some image site and use some command with its link in my post?
    Upload them to imgur.com and, when linking them, use the "large thumbnail" option.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    ^ correct.

Go to imgur.com, drag-drop to upload a bunch of pictures, then come back here and either post a link to the gallery or embed the images with:

Code:
    Notice how the second image URI has an "m" at the end of the the file-name: that makes it a thumbnail. You're not allowed to put the full-size images here, so you need to link thumbnails.
    Use the "noparse" tag to stop the forum parsing vbcode

[url=http://imgur.com/12345.jpg][img]http://imgur.com/12345m.jpg[/img][/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zakelrod View Post
    2800$
    DeltrusDisc- for now i only plan on playing watchdogs and minecraft. By research i looked up people who could build me one, and the parts themselves. I really didnt want to ask for help from a forum because i had a strong feeling that most of what i would get is opinionated. I went with high-end parts so i would have a computer that would last for years and i wouldn't have to upgrade. I cheaped out on the drives because I plan on only playing 2 games, however as I start playing others I will upgrade.
    Well, I don't feel nearly as bad about my $2400 Alienware purchase last week.

- 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz)
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti with 2G GDDR5
    - 1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s
    - 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
    - One Year Parts & Accident Coverage

And, oh yea- That $2400 was for 2 of them- got one for the wife, too.

(And yea, I know I paid more than I needed to, but I wanted them now, and I get free financing.)
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    And, oh yea- That $2400 was for 2 of them- got one for the wife, too.
    I was just about ready to let loose all hell on you, then this line lol.
    If you got the money for an Alienware, why not, you might aswell + the computers look fine and you get proper support

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    That micro dust is the bitch, nothing seems to be able to catch it.
    except the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    except the camera...
    I swear, pointing a camera at it seems to summon the dustbunnies.

Deleted
    http://i.imgur.com/kOCqFC3.jpg

too big for the forum, sorry!