Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    For the price of a v650s you're better off with the evga 750 G2 that has a semi-passive fan mode, is fully modular and is overall much better built along with better electrical performance.
    I had that unit, twice, and had major problems with both units. I ended up getting a full refund and buying a corsair PSU instead. The coil whine on both of them was loud enough to hear even with my headset on, and 1 of them had sparks inside, major hazards..
    Moosie <After Hours> : Feral / Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    I had that unit, twice, and had major problems with both units. I ended up getting a full refund and buying a corsair PSU instead. The coil whine on both of them was loud enough to hear even with my headset on, and 1 of them had sparks inside, major hazards..
    Which PSU?
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Some small additions for my pc setup:

1M Green led strip with a 50cm cable that plugs into USB
    http://i.imgur.com/DKvfInu.jpg

And a custom braided&Coiled usb cable for my keyboard (the colours are bit off since my room isn't really optimal place to take pictures)
    http://i.imgur.com/211GazX.jpg

Both products were ordered and custom made by http://pexonpcs.co.uk/

Also station as a whole with specs and everything http://imgur.com/a/WKEO8
    Last edited by voryon; 2014-08-27 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added image album

Woo.
    i5 4690k ♦ Z97-A ♦ GTX 760 SLI ♦ 8 GB ♦ 120Gb + 1Tb + 4Tb ♦ Define R4

whats the specs on that view ?

Next round of parts picked up. Now I have to wait for water cooling parts from the US.

i7 4790k
    z97 hero
    32gb corsair vengence pro 2133
    xspc D5 photon 270 pump/res combo
    i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz 1.35V || Asus Z97 Hero VII || EVGA GTX 980 Sli (x2) 1455Mhz || 16GB Corsair Vengence 2133mhz || 128GB+500GB SSD (PRO/EVO) || 2TB+4TB WD Blacks || Corsair HX-850W || Custom Water Cooling - xspc ex140 w/ noctua NF-A14 - xspc rx360 - xspc photon 270 w/ D5 - primochill acrylic tubing & ghost fittings -
    Corsair 900D || ASUS ROG Swift || Roccat Ryos MK Pro || Cyborg RAT7/Logitech G700s || BitFenix Recon Fan Controller

What's the difference between a basic z97 mobo and some of the more high end ones?

The basic motherboard is supposed to be a weaker overclocker usually, typically requiring higher voltage and the likes, and as you go higher-end it's supposed to scale. That said, once you're somewhere in the middle of the pack any gains have pretty much vanished usually.

Beyond that it's mostly feature based. There's a point where they drop off much of the legacy features, and as you go up in price you start seeing M.2, the occasional PLX chip (for giving more than two cards in 16x slots enough PCIe lanes), Wifi, gimmicks like the plastic cover on the Sabertooth, the (rather unnecessary but cool looking) metal backplate on the Maximus VII, etc.

That said, decide what you want from the board. You'll probably find boards fulfilling your needs in the middle of the pack.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    What's the difference between a basic z97 mobo and some of the more high end ones?
    Features. Basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    The basic motherboard is supposed to be a weaker overclocker usually, typically requiring higher voltage and the likes, and as you go higher-end it's supposed to scale. That said, once you're somewhere in the middle of the pack any gains have pretty much vanished usually.
    In theory, yes. But even that is only features. The VRM is moved onto the chip itself, so there's not much differences, if at all, in voltage. The cheapest AsRock z97 and the most blinged ASUS ROG board overclocks basically the same.
    Which is good for the consumer, at least short-term.

It's 90% looks and branding and probably 10% features though.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    WoW has been a CPU-bound game for much of its lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In theory, yes. But even that is only features. The VRM is moved onto the chip itself, so there's not much differences, if at all, in voltage. The cheapest AsRock z97 and the most blinged ASUS ROG board overclocks basically the same.
    Which is good for the consumer, at least short-term.
    Yeah, hence why I put emphasis on "supposed to be". There's some difference still, but honestly you'll probably hit your CPU's limits before anything else, so the differences that do exist won't do much, if anything.

So I am going to be building a new PC. Preferably for Gaming and Streaming, minor editing for YT vids. I have a few things already like SSDs, HDD, PSU. I do have a case but its pretty huge and bulky so thats why I added a new one here. I would love some input from you guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4kYRB
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
    So I am going to be building a new PC. Preferably for Gaming and Streaming, minor editing for YT vids. I have a few things already like SSDs, HDD, PSU. I do have a case but its pretty huge and bulky so thats why I added a new one here. I would love some input from you guys

There's a whole forum section for this, I recommend that you post there!

Quote Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post

Create a new thread here and answer the questions from this post.

Edit: What Tetris said
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1130MHz/1750MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: 1440p BenQ GW2765HT 1080p LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Create a new thread here and answer the questions from this post.

Edit: What Tetris said
    Ha sorry bout that, Thanks guys
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

A quick question, can you overclock a locked CPU via your motherboard, or is it strictly the unlocked ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    A quick question, can you overclock a locked CPU via your motherboard, or is it strictly the unlocked ones?
    yes and no, you can fiddle with the BCLK, but anything more than 1-2% deviation pretty much crashes the whole system, otherwise it's strictly K and X sku CPUs

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

This is my latest build (August 30) - thanks to the members (especially notarget) for helping build. For Blizzard games + Video encoding/editing.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.75 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $588.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 16:16 EDT-0400

Storage, case and other prep.s are from past build.

currently running pretty smooth - we'll see what happens over the next week.

I'm thinking storage will be next upgrade, then case - hopefully then CPU in a year or so.

let me know what you think of that upgrade series.
    Last edited by Amgyn; 2014-08-29 at 08:23 PM.
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes and no, you can fiddle with the BCLK, but anything more than 1-2% deviation pretty much crashes the whole system, otherwise it's strictly K and X sku CPUs
    Linus got his Xeon E5-2697 up to 113 BCLK pretty nicely. So in essence about 25% overclock with a supposedly "locked" CPU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khDs...E6Xw-yeJA0Tunw
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    WoW has been a CPU-bound game for much of its lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Linus got his Xeon E5-2697 up to 113 BCLK pretty nicely. So in essence about 25% overclock with a supposedly "locked" CPU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khDs...E6Xw-yeJA0Tunw
    you mean a 13% overclock

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s