Titan
    I have to agree. Almost all of the main OEM's design laptops only for the average home user. I laugh when i see them using "truly powerful intel dual core processor" in their adverts, only for it to be an i3 from last generation. Then advertise "A massive 320GB of storage space", only for it to be slow as all hell, as well as "4GB large memory capacity for real speed".
    [...]

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I have to agree. Almost all of the main OEM's design laptops only for the average home user. I laugh when i see them using "truly powerful intel dual core processor" in their adverts, only for it to be an i3 from last generation. Then advertise "A massive 320GB of storage space", only for it to be slow as all hell, as well as "4GB large memory capacity for real speed".
    But let's be honest here - what else would they say?
    "Hey, we know it's crap and low value - but we're hoping you don't!"? :P

For these generic laptops, anything non-gaming, non-workstation related, it will suffice. For people needing workstations, I really hope they know better and are up-to-date with what they need.
    For people who wants gaming-related; That's what we're here for, right? :P

Synthaxx you make a point, but tetris brings up a valid argument. :P That powerful i3 dual core from last gen would be more than enough for people like my sis (Who now has a laptop with an Intel i5-2410 or whatever in it and an NVidia card lololol) and my parents. :P But yeah, it does irk me when I see that stuff, MASSIVE 320GB.... uh that was massive a good 5 years ago? =/
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

The selling point to the masses seems to be the size of the hard drive. At least, before I knew what I do about computers, it was to me and my father. '-_-

That and/or how much RAM it has. You know, the crappy prebuilts with a 1st gen core i3, a low end GPU from a generation ago...and 16GB of memory that are marketed as "high end" PCs?

"Look at this laptop! It has 500 GB hard drive!"
    Yeah, saw that recently. I snortchuckled just a little bit less than when my best friend's boyfriend tried to tell me to stay away from "his" girlfriend.

True... I remember when I was younger and in high school, DAD MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DELL WITH A 3GHZ CPU SPEED ZOMG!!! Had a whopping 80 GB HDD and like 1 or 2 GB of RAM.... that thing I played WoW on for a full year, now I look back and I'm like... how...?
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

The amount of memory in general, lol.

Ever seen those massive 1500MB IGP? Jk shared with RAM. But they ofc don't tell that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    That and/or how much RAM it has. You know, the crappy prebuilts with a 1st gen core i3, a low end GPU from a generation ago...and 16GB of memory that are marketed as "high end" PCs?
    What this guy says in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBK8WPkTa1o&feature=channel_video_title

O
    H I NEED THAT.

@16GB of RAM.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know of any reasonable gaming laptops that cost less than $1000? I keep trying, but I either find ones that even I know are terrible or cost 1500+.

did i quick test with the new h100 Hydro with a 4,2Ghz OC and the temps was ok.

this is done with the h100 in push config pulling hot air from inside the case through the rad. gonna test it with a bigger OC and in push/pull when i get the srews for it next week. fans used is the Silverstone APs.

temps are after 1 hour of prime95s new blend test for windows7 64bit. 51/52/56/50. my room temps are about 20C

http://
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2011-08-05 at 09:44 PM.
    Intel i5 2500K: Asus Masimux IV Extreme: Palit GTX 680 Jetstream: Chieftec Nitro Series 1200W:Corsair H-100 Hydro:
    8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz CL8: Crucial M4 128Gb+256Gb: Creative Sound Blaster Z: Corsair Obsidian 800D: Plextor PX-880SA

Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know of any reasonable gaming laptops that cost less than $1000? I keep trying, but I either find ones that even I know are terrible or cost 1500+.
    Unfortunately, truly "gaming" laptops, which is an oxymoron in itself for the most part, don't really exist for cheaper than $1,000 prices. You can get laptops that are made to be used for gaming, but still I say they are oxymorons because they're more likely to fail, have heat problems, and many other issues. Quite often they also don't get very good quality mobile video cards, and that hinders them, but at the same time, that's another heat source that can get very hot. So you can try getting a laptop that is made for gaming, but don't expect the most amazing experience.

Windows 7 activation... /rage

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Gah Synthaxx, I just want to see that thing in person. It must be a true beauty to behold. GREAT work.

And to the guy with all the Nexus white LED fans..... oh god those are bright. x_x Do you have a switch to turn them off? I'd honestly be distracted whilst gaming in the dark!
    It's OK, they stand next to me and its not in my sight when i look at the screen, allso the mouse/keyboard have lil white leds aswell anywayz so, i'm used to it

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    did i quick test with the new h100 Hydro with a 4,2Ghz OC and the temps was ok.

this is done with the h100 in push config pulling hot air from inside the case through the rad. gonna test it with a bigger OC and in push/pull when i get the srews for it next week. fans used is the Silverstone APs.

temps are after 1 hour of prime95s new blend test for windows7 64bit. 51/52/56/50. my room temps are about 20C

http://
    Colour me impressed! I'd love to see how it handles at a higher clock and volts though. I mean i generally top out at 62C or so on a dedicated loop (120.3 worth of rads) at 4.8Ghz at 1.46V while gaming (HT is enabled though so extra heat). I've not yet run P95 on it.

I will admit that the H100 is looking to be a real beast for a presealed loop and something i would have gotten if i wasn't already running a proper loop. So, worth the money then?
    [...]

How's the noise on the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    How's the noise on the thing?
    Found this video on Youtube, I was curious as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPyYaEqiDw
    Sounds louder than I'd like on the high setting, but fine on low

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Unfortunately, truly "gaming" laptops, which is an oxymoron in itself for the most part, don't really exist for cheaper than $1,000 prices. You can get laptops that are made to be used for gaming, but still I say they are oxymorons because they're more likely to fail, have heat problems, and many other issues. Quite often they also don't get very good quality mobile video cards, and that hinders them, but at the same time, that's another heat source that can get very hot. So you can try getting a laptop that is made for gaming, but don't expect the most amazing experience.
    This WAS the case. In the last year or so there seems to be a decent amount of fairly good gaming laptops that don't overheat and do have decent mobile cards. I got an MSI GX660R - i5, 6GB RAM, ATI HD5870 1GB, 2x 500GB HDD in raid-0 and it's actually a VERY compentant machine.

I've sat and played WoW on it for a good 10 hours (ok, not solidly for 10 hours but inc idling in SW extra while I went for a bite/had a shower/went the shops etc) on it and it's yet to skip a beat. Not my main rig but I could probably live with it if I had to. Runs at 1920x1080 res with settings at good and a few bits turned up, still flawless for 25m raiding (as a melee).

Will be upgrading the hard drives to a pair of momentus XT's (the hybrid drives) in the future as this is one area it's a little lacking in and from then on it will be more than good enough.

Titan
    Oh my... i realised i'm actually missing something so crazy it beggars belief, even moreso than SSD RAID; http://www.corsair.com/memory/domina...an-cmgtx7.html

2400Mhz
    1.65V
    9-11-10-30 Timings
    2x4GB kit

For the princely sum of $499, which is just over £300. Honestly, i've got that little voice in my head telling me that i'll end up buying it either way. Not just 1 kit, but 2. It won't be for a month or 2 but hell, it's just GOT to be done now hasn't it

The speed is the highest my motherboard supports as far as i'm aware, and the capacity is what i'm used to. The voltage being so ideal will help keep clocking stable, and the timings couldn't be better (they're only slightly worse than what i run on my current kit).

I had been looking at this kit a few months ago, but it wasn't available then. I don't think i can go any further with the rig then. Everything will literally be pushed as far as it can go in current times. There's still 1 port on the marvell controller, but i've no real reason to even use that controller except for my hotswap bay.

I despise myself sometimes
    [...]

You'll most likely need to crank up the VCCIO Voltage to run them.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING in SLI | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO