/hyperventilates

I don't really care what you buy. But you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much disposable income.
    And you haven't paid for anything extra from what I see... Exactly nothing extraordinary there outside of the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    An iMac 27" is not a laptop.... so I'm wondering why in the HELL they would put a mobile video card in there. O.o
    A regular 6970 is a little big for an iMac, don't you think...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    /hyperventilates
    http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_MACPRO_S10_RAM
    For the price of 1 8Gb stick one could build a mediocre gaming computer

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I believe the price for that particular model is $2899. A pretty hefty price if you consider the hardware.
    No fucking kidding. I configured in what Zacu roughly said he'd bought.

2.9k dollars.
    Sweet mother of Jesus!
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-08-11 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_MACPRO_S10_RAM
    For the price of 1 8Gb stick one could build a mediocre gaming computer
    I wonder what's so good about those that they cost so much. It has to be ECC memory, no?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Zacu, we are all computer forum regulars who have posted in this thread MANY times. Trust me when I say, we want it to not become a mac vs pc thread a lot less than you do, it's more than just a forum thread to some of us. It is when people like you with enormous egos come in here trying to look down your nose at other people and trying to boast about your income, when really you bought... okay... hardware.

Example, for the amount of money you put into that any of us could build a computer probably 10x stronger.

We don't care if you bought a Mac, bought a Gateway, had a local computer shop build you a PC, or built it yourself like many of us did, we just care that you show some respect.

Also, that's great you have a cool car, none of us care.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I wonder what's so good about those that they cost so much. It has to be ECC memory, no?
    It is. But wtf is RDIMM? O_o

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    1333 MHZ hehehe. Very average for being some odd $500 or whatever. x_x

---------- Post added 2011-08-11 at 11:22 AM ----------

Wtf is RDIMM? O_o
    Rational Data Inducing Memory Module.

Don't ask.... I've been up for a while, I'm tired.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It is. But wtf is RDIMM? O_o
    Ah, wait, it is ECC. I should read better.
    RDIMM is Registered memory. Don't know what's so special about that RDIMM, but it's mostly used in servers. (What the Mac Pro is ofcourse :P) Still I think $500 is a little over the top pricing, even for this RAM.

Don't have a camera but here's my specs:
    Case: HAF X
    MB: MSI P67A-GD65
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHZ 24/7
    Ram: 8gb Mushkin 1866 mhz
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60gb
    HDD's: 1TB F3 for games, 2TB F4 for storage, 2TB F4 for music and movies, 1.5TB seagate external for backups
    Monitor: 22" 1080p Asus VH226H
    Keyboard: G15 of course
    Mouse: G700
    Speaker's (monitor's if you wanna be technical): M-Audio BX8A's
    Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm
    GPU: EVGA GTX 590 Classified Hydro
    Cooling: Custom water loop. CPU, GPU, and Mosfet's are under water. 1x 360 Rad in top, 1x 240 on back. White tubing, black fittings.

Side window has been modded, removing the 200mm fan area and replacing the entire window with plexi. A light purple led strip is alont the bottom and front inside edges of the case to provide lighting. Ram, motherboard, gpu, water blocks, and fittings are all black w/ white tubing and modified typhoon's (blades coated white.)

It's my baby.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

picz plox!

See, you gotta post pictures of that, Shiveron

(as a semi-off topic side note... is it normal for a mouse (Logitech G500) to be emitting a quiet high pitched whine? (you can only really hear it when your ear is within ~3 inches of the mouse) I've heard of coil whine coming from motherboards/graphics cards/PSUs.... but a mouse?? o_O)

...from the mouse?

Quick question: When using my artic silver how much should I use and how should I use it? I've seen some just put a pea size in the center of the cpu while others do a thin line across the middle.

And just one OT question if anyone can humor me...getting a calculator for my calculus class I'm starting friday. Which calculator should I get? TI 83, 84, 89 or other? Prefer to go a cheaper route lol.

(just assuming people are familiar with calculus here haha)

picz plox!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    See, you gotta post pictures of that, Shiveron

(as a semi-off topic side note... is it normal for a mouse (Logitech G500) to be emitting a quiet high pitched whine? (you can only really hear it when your ear is within ~3 inches of the mouse) I've heard of coil whine coming from motherboards/graphics cards/PSUs.... but a mouse?? o_O)
    I don't own a camera . I don't like pictures. Even my facebook has a whole 1 picture on it, and it doesn't even have my face. It's just a picture my artist took when my back piece was finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkela View Post
    Quick question: When using my artic silver how much should I use and how should I use it? I've seen some just put a pea size in the center of the cpu while others do a thin line across the middle.
    Small dot in the middle and firmly plant your cooler straight down. If you do the line method, odd's are you are going to have too much. Too much and it can seep out the sides and make a mess (dw it's non conductive) or if you have too much the heat can't transfer and you'll have worse temps than before. Personally, I use IC Diamond on all of my builds.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Deleted
    And just one OT question if anyone can humor me...getting a calculator for my calculus class I'm starting friday. Which calculator should I get? TI 83, 84, 89 or other? Prefer to go a cheaper route lol.
    I got a TI-84 PLUS and I'm very happy with it Not sure what has happened the last 6(?) years on the market of graphical calculators but I would personally recommend the TI-84 PLUS Silver Edition.

(just assuming people are familiar with calculus here haha)
    Depends on what kind of heatsink you have. If it's the stock Intel one (or something similar) a bead in the middle is fine. If it has a square contact area (i.e. most aftermarket heatsinks, Noctua NH-D14 for example) I think a line is the best way... and if your cooler is heatpipe direct touch (i.e. Cooler Master Hyper 212+) it's best to put rice grain sized pieces on the parts of the heatsink base between the heatpipes.

...and when I took calculus in college, we weren't allowed to use calculators (I had a TI 89 in high school though, you can use it to solve basic algebra equations... made my Pre-calculus class I took my senior year very easy )

...from the mouse?
    Yes. The mouse.
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-08-11 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Zacu, we are all computer forum regulars who have posted in this thread MANY times. Trust me when I say, we want it to not become a mac vs pc thread a lot less than you do, it's more than just a forum thread to some of us. It is when people like you with enormous egos come in here trying to look down your nose at other people and trying to boast about your income, when really you bought... okay... hardware.

Example, for the amount of money you put into that any of us could build a computer probably 10x stronger.

We don't care if you bought a Mac, bought a Gateway, had a local computer shop build you a PC, or built it yourself like many of us did, we just care that you show some respect.

Also, that's great you have a cool car, none of us care.
    To hell with it, I never intended to sound even the slightest ignorant, have a huge ego nor brag about my income - which is incase you wondered what any other student have in Denmark. With that being said, when in my original post did I have an urge to impress such things you comment on now? I saw this thread while being bored at work and thought I would share my (soon to be..) new "gaming" computer. I came happily here to inform you what I currently got at home solely to feed an already quite amazing thread of various posters. I have to admit I never scrolled through 97 pages before I posted, so I had no idea this place wasn't for macs and players using them.

But when the first comment directly strikes through me, I of course reply to it - and yeah, that was perhaps with a bit of ego and income brag. But that was just because I never wanted it to be a war between how he saves all his money making the most awesome super PC in the world while I pay for something not even remotely as strong but with other aesthetics.
    Sorry for not being a computer technician whose hobby is to make watercooling mega computers and knows everything down to the tiny screws. I simply just informed you what I had and hoped for some other mac users with similar specs to perhaps comment on it.

But oh well, I guess thats not the case. I sincerely apologize for all of this.
    Last edited by Zacu; 2011-08-11 at 12:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacu View Post
    To hell with it, I never intended to sound even the slightest ignorant, have a huge ego nor brag about my income - which is incase you wondered what any other student have in Denmark. With that being said, when in my original post did I have an urge to impress such things you comment on now? I saw this post while being bored at work and thought I would share my (soon to be..) new "gaming" computer. I came happily here to inform you what I currently got at home solely to feed an already quite amazing thread of various posters. I have to admit I never scrolled through 97 pages before I posted, so I had no idea this place wasn't for macs and playing using them.

But when the first comment directly strikes through me, I of course reply to it - and yeah, that was perhaps with a bit of ego and income brag. But that was just because I never wanted it to be a war between how he saves all his money making the most awesome super PC in the world while I pay for something not even remotely as strong but with other aesthetics.
    Sorry for not being a computer technician whose hobby is to make watercooling mega computers and knows everything down to the tiny screws. I simply just informed you what I had and hoped for some other mac users with similar specs to perhaps comment on it.

But oh well, I guess thats not the case. I sincerely apologize for all of this.
    You have to realise, when you come to a forum with computer enthusiasts, always working to get the most out of their money, with some ridicilously expensive built that could be a lot better, people react.
    We have nothing against macs, believe me, I fucking LOVE Unix and unix-based OSes.
    (Now let's all be friends!)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacu View Post
    I am not that technical experienced - but I recently bought an iMac 27" anno 2011.

Heres the specs:
    • 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    Hopefully this creature will be able to do everything for the next 3-5 years. Atleast I upgraded everything to the maximum of whats possible.

Experiences and thoughts are highly welcome (its yet to be delivered..)
    I have the same, yes it will last 3-5 years - just tell me you did not buy the RAM from Apple did you?

I run Logic on it as well - performance is very impressive streaming multiple audio files, video, loads of software instruments blah blah..
    This one girl...