The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    I'm looking to run BF3 on maxed settings.. So I'd like to keep 2 of the same card when the time comes

I choose the seagate over samsung because it was statistically better. I'll consider the 2500k

Also: Couldn't find any LGA1155 x58 boards
    Uhh... never said to get an LGA 1155 x58 motherboard, that chipset is LGA 1366, the i7-9xx series CPUs. If you want a motherboard that does not support overclocking but does still give the SATA III 6Gb/s option, go for an H67. The reason I'm suggesting a P67 + i5-2500K so much, however, is it is honestly the best bang for your buck right now. You can get amazing overclocks with the CPU, and for gaming, that will certainly help your GPU with rendering everything and working the system, to put it simply. If you got an i5-2300 you would not even bet at the 3GHZ mark and you'd really have no option to overclock. With most of the LGA 1155 motherboards on the market, H61, H67, P67, and Z68 (for all I know, I believe that's all the chipsets), all having nearly the same prices for the most part on their motherboards, and the 2500k only being $35 more than the 2300, there's really no reason to bottle-neck yourself like that. A 2300 gives you extremely limited options, a 2500K gives you tons, and not to mention it will actually take full advantage of the motherboard you are looking at getting already.

On top of this, if you just do a fairly light overclock like mine, 4.0GHZ, which is honestly pretty light considering how much hotter the higher clocks can get and such, you can still use the stock cooler and be safe. Though in the future I'd get an aftermarket, definitely.

---------- Post added 2011-08-15 at 11:28 AM ----------

Looks like I'll have some new pics of my computer setup a little later today. Going to be getting recorded for a special cello and drum cover of the song "The Prisoner" by Iron Maiden, so I will be setting up my drumset (still taken down from the thunderstorm-induced basement flood about a month ago) and computer in a manner specifically aimed for best recording and filming possibilities. Pray to whatever you believe in and/or hope the vibrations from my drumset and speakers isn't too much for my computer... >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'm in my last semester of college, hopefully my job interview goes well next week and I can splurge a little extra

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in my last semester of college, hopefully my job interview goes well next week and I can splurge a little extra
    I'll tell ya one thing... it'll be even more fun!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'll tell ya one thing... it'll be even more fun!
    I'd love to get an i7 w/ x58 chipset, but damn does it get expensive for someone who's unemployed :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to get an i7 w/ x58 chipset, but damn does it get expensive for someone who's unemployed :P
    Don't. An i5-2500K and P67 honestly is better for gaming and OC'd can certainly compare to even the higher end i7-9xx series CPUs, as crazy as it is. It is not cost efficient to buy an i7-9xx/x58 setup unless it's for nostalgia purposes, wanting a hard OC job, or you're just a mad-man like Cyanotical who does folding and fancy stuff. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't. An i5-2500K and P67 honestly is better for gaming and OC'd can certainly compare to even the higher end i7-9xx series CPUs, as crazy as it is. It is not cost efficient to buy an i7-9xx/x58 setup unless it's for nostalgia purposes, wanting a hard OC job, or you're just a mad-man like Cyanotical who does folding and fancy stuff. :P

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...teamnum=209552

the sad part is im using rougly 1/5th the computing power available to me, and my computer has been off for around 50% of the time since that team was created, more people need to join

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post

the sad part is im using rougly 1/5th the computing power available to me, and my computer has been off for around 50% of the time since that team was created, more people need to join
    I am interested!

I just need to bump my linux box at work up to something a bit more powerful. And I suppose I can leave my PS3 on while I'm at work too.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Oops. Forgot the team entirely while waiting for my new mobo. Joined now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post

Sorry if the lighting sucks, my camera is bad =/ cable management could be much better, I'll do a better job once I get a modular power supply in the future.
    What cooler are you using there?

Corsair H60 I believe. Or maybe the H80.

15+ Year Old Account
    So much red.... and yet it's an Intel based system! XD

Also, what's with all the Phantoms?!?!
    My old system was a black case with blue LED's so I wanted something different this time around. I had my eye on the Phantoms, and it was between the white and red and I decided to go with red :P

Phantoms are great for the price -- a lot of room, great airflow, and awesome cable management.

Im waiting till winter to start folding

10+ Year Old Account
    props on using the koolance reservoir, i just switched to that after my frozenQ double helix practically shattered itself to pieces in my case, as far as weight goes, your case is much bigger then mine, but you have less internal weight, i have several pounds of copper waterblocks, and 4 radiators, and more hard drives, but i think yours might be close, mine weighs 72 lbs
    I love the koolance reservoir! I need something to light it up with though..

And damn.. I'm only at 58 lbs. I had to put the wheels on the Elysium so I could get it around easier. Plastic wheels on something that weighs 58 lbs does not work very well.

Anywho specs:

i7 930 currently at 4.2 GHz 12 hours or prime95 stable so far.
    ASUS P658D Premium
    3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD5970
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    Lamptron FC-6
    Intel X25-M 80GB
    WDC:G 1.5TB
    WDC:G 2.0TB

The loop:

XSPC RX360mm radiator
    Koolance RP-452X2 reservoir
    EK-Supreme HF Water Block
    Swiftech MCP-655 (Liang D5) pump
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I love the koolance reservoir! I need something to light it up with though..

And damn.. I'm only at 58 lbs. I had to put the wheels on the Elysium so I could get it around easier. Plastic wheels on something that weighs 58 lbs does not work very well.

Anywho specs:

i7 930 currently at 4.2 GHz 12 hours or prime95 stable so far.
    ASUS P658D Premium
    3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD5970
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    Lamptron FC-6
    Intel X25-M 80GB
    WDC:G 1.5TB
    WDC:G 2.0TB

The loop:

XSPC RX360mm radiator
    Koolance RP-452X2 reservoir
    EK-Supreme HF Water Block
    Swiftech MCP-655 (Liang D5) pump
    Only 58lbs?

I lift 70lb rolls of printing substrate all day, I can totally find you and take it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    kinda freaks me out to see all these cables :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Only 58lbs?

I lift 70lb rolls of printing substrate all day, I can totally find you and take it.
    Its probably more of the fact that there are no handles on the Elysium. Having to pick it up by the bottom is really awkward.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    Hey all you at home folders - what kind of power do you need to do it? I'm guessing my rig is a little bit substandard for it

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Hey all you at home folders - what kind of power do you need to do it? I'm guessing my rig is a little bit substandard for it
    You can do it.
    Anyone can.

It's just that you get better performance for it with a better rig. It's for science anyway, and not an e-peen contest. Although, I suppose it could be interpreted as such.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    It's just that you get better performance for it with a better rig. It's for science anyway, and not an e-peen contest. Although, I suppose it could be interpreted as such.
    There's a scoreboard for e-peen measure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing that special here. Will mostlikely change the case in few months to a full tower case.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    RAM: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz @ 7-8-7-22
    CPU: AMD PII X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz 1.45V
    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P
    GFX: Sapphire HD6870
    PSU: Corshair HX650
    Case:Fractal Design R3
    Last edited by Rairu; 2011-08-15 at 05:19 PM.
    Rairu - Mage
    gnomemasterrace