Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    On the contrary. The K model has Intel HD 3000 graphics while the Non-K has HD 2000. Since the build uses the IGP, having the better one makes sense.
    That I wasn't aware of.

In either case, it seems I linked an outdated version of it. Here is the more recent (and still available) one: http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...ms/sys-a43-z68
    At glance, it does look like the second and third of the PCI-E ports on the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 aren't blocked by the massive heatsink. So add something like an ASUS ENGT440 and you got a decent system that is, apart from the Blu-Ray writer and the HDD (you could go for only SSDs though), absolutely silent.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-26 at 01:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Anyone manage to get their hands on a Llano system yet (or build one)?

I just recently built an A8 system at work for an office machine myself. I'm rather impressed considering it's more or less an old K10 with an IGP. I can't really test it for games, but for general usage and responsiveness in an office environment, it is noticeably faster than the i3 2100 system I built a couple months ago. I attribute that to the 4 physical cores over the HT'd dual core i3 though. Obviously Aero is smoother on a Radeon as well... really not impressed with the new Intel IGP's despite their praise. Still slow, and the drivers are surprisingly bad for Intel.

Ended up being a bit cheaper than the i3 too...

I'd like to see someone build an ITX Llano system..
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah, something that has enough space in between the bottom of the motherboard and the top of the PSU to allow for another ridiculously huge heatsink. ;p
    Late response because I was at work and Firefox for Android sucks at "Reply with Quote"-ing...
    wtb passively cooled GTX 580. That giant heatsink pictured earlier is for a 95W TDP CPU, imagine how big it'd need to be for a 244W TDP GPU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post

I just recently built an A8 system at work for an office machine myself. I'm rather impressed considering it's more or less an old K10 with an IGP. I can't really test it for games, but for general usage and responsiveness in an office environment, it is noticeably faster than the i3 2100 system I built a couple months ago. I attribute that to the 4 physical cores over the HT'd dual core i3 though. Obviously Aero is smoother on a Radeon as well... really not impressed with the new Intel IGP's despite their praise. Still slow, and the drivers are surprisingly bad for Intel.

Ended up being a bit cheaper than the i3 too...

I'd like to see someone build an ITX Llano system..
    I was planning to build one for my mother. As a HTPC. Not now tho. In a couple of months.

I decided to go with the "lesser" AMD APU for the HTPC I built a couple months ago. I did consider getting Llano at first though (of course, since then they've released the dual core Llano APUs, kinda wish I had waited for those), but the E-350 has been okay* for what I'm using it for.
    *okay meaning at first it was semi-choppy at times while playing 1080p videos on Youtube/Netflix, overclocking it a bit to ~1.65GHz seemed to fix it (that's right, I overclocked an E-350 APU... BECAUSE I CAN! )

Case: NZXT ZERO 2
    MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k - 4.6ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 570 SC
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
    PSU: Corsair 750W AX GOLD
    HDD: Hitachi 1TB Data & Intel 510 120GB SSD for WoW/OS
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24
    Mouse: Razer Naga
    Keybord: Logitech G110
    Headset: Plantronics

Soon I will be going to the Obsidian 650D for my case and getting another GTX 570. Then, water cooling
    Quote Originally Posted by dvstec
    Its because everyone thinks they are a unique snowflake and their departure means something. facebookbabies

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Late response because I was at work and Firefox for Android sucks at "Reply with Quote"-ing...
    wtb passively cooled GTX 580. That giant heatsink pictured earlier is for a 95W TDP CPU, imagine how big it'd need to be for a 244W TDP GPU
    That's one thing I'd be interested in having a look at; passive watercooling, using an external radiator.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    I decided to go with the "lesser" AMD APU for the HTPC I built a couple months ago. I did consider getting Llano at first though (of course, since then they've released the dual core Llano APUs, kinda wish I had waited for those), but the E-350 has been okay* for what I'm using it for.
    *okay meaning at first it was semi-choppy at times while playing 1080p videos on Youtube/Netflix, overclocking it a bit to ~1.65GHz seemed to fix it (that's right, I overclocked an E-350 APU... BECAUSE I CAN! )
    Have you tried playing a 1080p Bluray or played a 1080p ripped movie? My e350 netbook can't handle a ripped file at all. Not sure if that's a limitation of the CPU itself, or the fact that it's an HP netbook.

Deleted
    Have you tried playing a 1080p Bluray or played a 1080p ripped movie? My e350 netbook can't handle a ripped file at all. Not sure if that's a limitation of the CPU itself, or the fact that it's an HP netbook.
    My E-350 has problems with ripped 1080p movies, but it has no issues with 720p video at all. I had it hocked up to a Blu-Ray reader and had no issues with playback there.

As for Llano, I was going to build one for a friends son (10) as a gaming/school/media computer, but things changed and he inherited an older PC instead. I was very excited for that Llano build because I was aiming for "minimalist", not to mention that I wanted to see what kind of performance it can pull. Oh well. I'm trying to lure my mother into buying a Llano build but she is all set on laptops.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    My E-350 has problems with ripped 1080p movies, but it has no issues with 720p video at all. I had it hocked up to a Blu-Ray reader and had no issues with playback there.

As for Llano, I was going to build one for a friends son (10) as a gaming/school/media computer, but things changed and he inherited an older PC instead. I was very excited for that Llano build because I was aiming for "minimalist", not to mention that I wanted to see what kind of performance it can pull. Oh well. I'm trying to lure my mother into buying a Llano build but she is all set on laptops.
    It's surprising how minimalist it really is.

I'll get a pic of the Llano system I built here at work. The case is VERY empty. xD

I have not. The computer doesn't have an optical drive in it, I set it up with the intention of streaming everything through Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc. Might try ripping a DVD on a different PC and try watching it on my HTPC as an experiment though

I've had just about it now. Is there a way to make Windows actually recognize that I'm still on the same damn computer as ever?

This is the... 5th time I've been prompted to activate Windows (because new hardware makes the computer's ID change). But I have to go through the phone service now. And the phone service pisses me right the fack off.

It's really beginning to drain my patience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is it really the same if you replace a part of it? :>

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Is it really the same if you replace a part of it? :>
    Are you the same person when you grow up? Why, there are major differences involved, but your history has shaped you from your previous to your new. But you're still you. It's still the same consciousness. Same base of operations.

And this is still the only computer that has ever had this key, even if several of its components have changed.

That said, cut the philosophical bullshit that doesn't answer the question, would'ja please? I'm not up for smartassness when I'm just about to murder someone over the horridness of Windows activation process.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't think there's anything legal you can do about it. Slow down with the upgrades in the future maybe ;D

Deleted
    In the build that I'm working on is it worth getting a crossfire (8x) motherboard right now so I can put in another 6870 in the future or is it better to just buy a single 600/700/7000/8000 card later on the line and save some cash right now? Didn't want to make a thread about it so I thought I'd just post it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    In the build that I'm working on is it worth getting a crossfire (8x) motherboard right now so I can put in another 6870 in the future or is it better to just buy a single 600/700/7000/8000 card later on the line and save some cash right now? Didn't want to make a thread about it so I thought I'd just post it here.
    Get a motherboard supporting x8/x8 (and perhaps SLI) regardless. Maybe you'll crossfire two AMD Radeon HD 7950 in a distant future! Or want something else that chews on PCIe lanes, Dual Thunderbolt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on whether you're happy with the kind of FPS you're getting at the settings you want...crossfire 6870's are still one of the best bang-for-your-buck GPU setups you can get today, brutal and scalable performance at a low price. 8x/8x lanes are more than enough for 6870's.

They're saying that the HD7900 equivalents will perform almost as well as crossfire 6900 setups, which is nuts...doubling GPU performance in a single generation? Hard to believe, rumors are rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Get a motherboard supporting x8/x8 (and perhaps SLI) regardless. Maybe you'll crossfire two AMD Radeon HD 7950 in a distant future! Or want something else that chews on PCIe lanes, Dual Thunderbolt!
    With the way they're harping on about performance, a 7950 is likely to be faster than a GTX580...and running those kind of speeds through a 8x lane starts compromising on performance. For SLI/CF with those kind of cards I would look at nothing less than a high-end board, or atleast one with the nF200 chip which allows dual 16x/16x lanes.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-26 at 09:56 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Depends on whether you're happy with the kind of FPS you're getting at the settings you want...crossfire 6870's are still one of the best bang-for-your-buck GPU setups you can get today, brutal and scalable performance at a low price. 8x/8x lanes are more than enough for 6870's.

They're saying that the HD7900 equivalents will perform almost as well as crossfire 6900 setups, which is nuts...doubling GPU performance in a single generation? Hard to believe, rumors are rumors.
    I don't even know what kind of FPS I'll be getting. ^^ I can only trust benchmarks!

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 11:57 PM ----------

And many Watts PSU Do you need for dual 6870's? Right now I have a 500W so I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade when getting the second card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    And many Watts PSU Do you need for dual 6870's? Right now I have a 500W so I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade when getting the second card.
    Definitely upgrade, total system consumption tops at around 450-500w with two 6870's. A good 650-700w will cover your needs with OC headroom for CPU/GPU/etc. It's still surprisingly efficient for a multi-GPU setup.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze