Quote Originally Posted by Pj4ever View Post
    Intel Core I7 920 - 2.66Ghz
    12GB Ram
    2 x Geforce 590 GTX
    3 x 24'' Monitors
    1kW PSU.

It is going to make for some AWESOME BF-3 Sorround games!
    See if you can get that 920 up to 4Ghz! Make it work!
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    Long timer lurker, first time poster (look at the post count!)

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
    16gb 1600 DDR3 Corsair
    i5-2500k 4.3ghz
    2 WD Velociraptors
    Crucial 128gb SSD
    1TB WD External
    MSI N580gtx lightning xtreme edition (3gb version) (I have a second one I got for cheap but don't know if I want to install it :-/)
    Corsair H50
    HAF X case
    1000w Cooler Master PSU
    2 27'' Planar 1920x1080

Just built this about 2 months ago. I'm loving it.
    An SSD and 2 velociraptors? Please tell me you've had the raptors for a long time and you just have them now just because....

Also for such an extravagant setup, why not get a better CPU heatsink?

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 11:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darksideblues42 View Post
    Antec Skeleton Chassis
    P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
    Core i7 2600K CPU at 4.4Ghz
    16GB Corsair 1866Mhz Ram
    2x GTX 560 with 2GB Memory each
    2 x Western Digital 1TB Enterprise Class Drives (Storage)
    1x Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD (Boot)
    1x Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD (WoW drive)
    LG UH10LS20 Super Multi Blue 10x Blu-ray Combo Drive
    Antec TPQ-1200 1200W Power Supply
    NEC LCD3090WQXi (Main Gaming display) at 2560 x 1600
    NEC LCD24WMCX (Secondary Display) at 1920 x 1200

Not all that impressive compared to some of the others in this thread, but it works for me.
    A 120GB just for boot and another 120GB just for WoW? PLEASE tell me you have other stuff on those drives.... Otherwise they're a huge waste.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    A 120GB just for boot and another 120GB just for WoW? PLEASE tell me you have other stuff on those drives.... Otherwise they're a huge waste.
    Should look at his primary monitor then. It costs more than mine. It's designed for color critical applications.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013DJ31A/...l_158alvi4hm_b

One refurbished from $1,400~? Wtf. I'd like to see what it looks like. O_o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    WTB Pictures! Telling us what is in your rig is meh, Pictures speak a thousand words! :P
    Haven't I seen that you have to have a certain post count to post? If so how many? I don't want to spam the boards but
    I figure I'll contribute a little bit more now and post a picture when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    you have a sli capable motherboard, a 1000 watt psu and you don't know if you want to install a second gtx 580 O.o

why buy it if not to plug it in? :P
    I put the first one in and it plays everything amazingly. The 2nd one that I didn't pay full price for I decided would be overkill.
    It's going up on craigslist :P

An SSD and 2 velociraptors? Please tell me you've had the raptors for a long time and you just have them now just because....

I'd read good reviews on the heatsink. It didn't go over 65c when running prime95. In games it's like 51c.
    Yes, I've had one of the wdvr's for 2 years and the other for a little over a year.
    Last edited by 0ptimo; 2011-10-07 at 12:37 AM.

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 11:38 PM ----------

The H50 is more than enough to cool a 2500k or 2600k. Hell, I had the H70 cooling my i7 920 at 4Ghz just fine. As far as raptors are concerned, some have them before upgrading to SSDs and some are able to get them cheap.

Would you turn down a pair of 300Gb Velociraptors (WD3000HLFS) for about £30? I don't know where or when 0ptimo got theirs, but I picked up mine for exactly that much around two years ago. (I, in fact, got four of them at the time and simply sold two on for I think about £60 each.). I then got my SSD a little under a year ago, and now use my raptors as the "storage" drive, with my SSD as the system drive.

(Whups, remembered I had the H70 and not the H50. Still, the H50 is plenty for the i5/i7)
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2011-10-07 at 01:51 AM.

I have a few other things on there as well, but mainly just use them like I said. They were free. Can't complain about free......I mean some photo editing, video editing, Solidworks design....you know...basic stuff....and then gaming on the side.

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Should look at his primary monitor then. It costs more than mine. It's designed for color critical applications.
    Yep, I rescued it from the scrap pile.....my company had sold it to a client in Canada, and after we added an anti-glare polycarbonate protective panel....some joker in Canadian customs decided he needed to remove it from the box for inspection...and he proceeded to drop it off the inspection cable, shattering the bezel and ripping the OSD controls from the front and breaking one of the backlight tubes

We got it back, I ordered the parts on my dime, and managed to put it back together (took me 3 months due to a parts shortage from NEC)

Now it lives on my desk.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    A couple years old but still screams.

i7 920@3.33 no overvoltage=long life, cosiar750ps, 6gb ram @1333 7/7/7/18, 120ssd for win7 64bit boot, 60ssd for wow, 1tb e-sata backup hd, 21"monitor, 15" monitor for interwebs while gaming, CM storm scout case added extra 120mm fan to front, dark knight xigmatic cpu cooler, gtx260 slightly overclocked no overvoltage, pciex1 wireless card, Moterola sb6120cable modem @ 19gb down/2-3gb up, logitech g15.

Would love to up the gpu but hard to sell used video cards. Getting corsiar HS1 headset for bday

15/25 lat 130fps in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksideblues42 View Post
    I have a few other things on there as well, but mainly just use them like I said. They were free. Can't complain about free......I mean some photo editing, video editing, Solidworks design....you know...basic stuff....and then gaming on the side.

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 09:07 PM ----------

Yep, I rescued it from the scrap pile.....my company had sold it to a client in Canada, and after we added an anti-glare polycarbonate protective panel....some joker in Canadian customs decided he needed to remove it from the box for inspection...and he proceeded to drop it off the inspection cable, shattering the bezel and ripping the OSD controls from the front and breaking one of the backlight tubes

We got it back, I ordered the parts on my dime, and managed to put it back together (took me 3 months due to a parts shortage from NEC)

Now it lives on my desk.
    Sounds like that joker got you a nice monitor, eh!

15+ Year Old Account
    I put the first one in and it plays everything amazingly. The 2nd one that I didn't pay full price for I decided would be overkill.
    It's going up on craigslist :P
    You should reconsider. BF3 will likely use the power of 2XGTX580s for the maxed out settings, and scaling in SLi for 580s will keep it several years before you have to upgrade, as opposed to maybe 2.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    You should reconsider. BF3 will likely use the power of 2XGTX580s for the maxed out settings, and scaling in SLi for 580s will keep it several years before you have to upgrade, as opposed to maybe 2.
    Will I really not be able to max out BF3 even with the 3gb version of the 580?

Will I really not be able to max out BF3 even with the 3gb version of the 580?
    No one knows 'til release. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess with "Yes - but not achieve 60FPS"

I'm also thinking that SLI GTX580s won't be the minimum for maximum out BF3.
    Thinking about how the question was asked, they responded to someone with a GTX580, and meant to say, "one 580 isn't enough but it will be enough if you add another" - because you're unlikely to sell the 580 and buy two lesser, for instance. I'm sure SLI/Crossfire with lesser cards will suffice as well, but the GTX580 having bigger margin.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    No one knows 'til release. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess with "Yes - but not achieve 60FPS"

I'm also thinking that SLI GTX580s won't be the minimum for maximum out BF3.
    Thinking about how the question was asked, they responded to someone with a GTX580, and meant to say, "one 580 isn't enough but it will be enough if you add another" - because you're unlikely to sell the 580 and buy two lesser, for instance. I'm sure SLI/Crossfire with lesser cards will suffice as well, but the GTX580 having bigger margin.
    Hmm...I just assumed since any game I play currently is rocking 100+ FPS maxed out that BF3 wouldn't be that devestating. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe the other one won't be going up on craigslist :P

Hmm...I just assumed since any game I play currently is rocking 100+ FPS maxed out that BF3 wouldn't be that devestating. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe the other one won't be going up on craigslist :P
    BF3 in difference to those other games are designed around the idea that people actually have as powerful computers as they do, not designed around the inferior hardware (ie, PS3 / xbox360) and that "everyone should be able to play the game", and then scaled it up slightly.

Meaning, this is an actual game. I do hope they stick true to their word though. That "One GTX 580 isn't enough".

10+ Year Old Account
    BF3 in difference to those other games are designed around the idea that people actually have as powerful computers as they do, not designed around the inferior hardware (ie, PS3 / xbox360) and that "everyone should be able to play the game", and then scaled it up slightly.

Meaning, this is an actual game. I do hope they stick true to their word though. That "One GTX 580 isn't enough".
    Sadly though its seeming like they did just scale it upwards lol.. The game thus far has nothing that makes it stand out from consoles other than the server capacities and upscale textures, which is a pretty good indication of when a developer simply reconfigures the game slightly from consoles and moves it into PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Sadly though its seeming like they did just scale it upwards lol..
    Ultra is, again, not availible in the beta! We'll know for sure come release

10+ Year Old Account
    Ultra is, again, not availible in the beta! We'll know for sure come release
    Doesn't change that the game is simply looking like an upscale console port Just like Crysis 2 lol.

Even the limitations on the Destruction 3.0 Physics engine scream CONSOLE PORT seeing as DICE originally said it would allow for the majority of the game to be destructible, but not even half of it is. Also the effects from destroying stuff is scaled back, its better than the alpha yes.. but I don't foresee it being any better because they still have to keep consoles in mind.

The only good thing is that DICE/EA are doing it right and optimizing it for PC's so it isn't like GTA:4
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-10-07 at 01:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Since I am not winning any awards for an impressive tower anytime soon... I shall claim victory in any impending peripheral war!

red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Since I am not winning any awards for an impressive tower anytime soon... I shall claim victory in any impending peripheral war!

[IMG]snip[/IMG]
    Is that a vinyl printer?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Is that a vinyl printer?
    Sure is!

It is my favourite thing at work. xD
    red panda red panda red panda!