Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    Finally got all the chance to put her together yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it. Just waiting on the 2nd SSD so I can get some boost from putting them in a raid configuration, but otherwise it's good to go.

Kingston HyperX SATA3 120gb SSD (OS & Games) - have a raincheck for a 2nd one to raid, they were just down to the last 1 yesterday =\

How great is this ssd. It literally makes me happy all fucking day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    RAID0 with HDD's is ridiculous (contrary to Wikipedia telling people games don't see much advantage),
    Yeah tell me about it. With a teeny tiny 120GB SSD I've ended up installing many games and applications on my comparably cheap Caviar Black 1TB x3 RAID0 and have from the looks of it been in top when it comes to fast loading times compared to other people in multiplayer games.

Though still have to wait for them to load so err at least I'm not hindering anybody's gameplay I guess.

RAID'ing SSD's a future project perhaps but I have other upgrades planned atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pjdell View Post
    Just ordered this friday, what do you think?

CASE: Raidmax Helios Gaming Mid-Tower
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600K
    FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
    HDD: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte Z68AP-D3
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB

I got all of this plus a $99 corsair h1 headset, a tt esports challenger pro keyboard, and a corsair vengeance mouse for about $1150. I had planned on buying components and building it myself but cyberpower just seemed to have such sweet deals and I didn't think I could build it for cheaper by very much. The liquid cooling was free, and i got double memory upgrade for no additional cost.

I'm a bit worried about the Agility 3 SSD as i've read some bad reviews on them, although some good reviews too though. Also i've had bad luck with Gigabyte mobos in the past and this isn't the nicest you can buy so i'm a little worried on that too.

I am planning on overclocking the 2600k , haven't decided on whether or not to OC the gpu with just the stock fans on it. I do plan on adding a second 6950 as soon as I can afford to.
    Same, I've had a Vertex3 for 6 months now (120GB version, 2.06 old firmware, the 2.15 is supposed to fix most issues though) and when i first used it on my old rig, which was still SATA2 i've had a BSOD once'ish every week.
    I haven't had ANY issues with my current rig though, a SATA3 Asus Sabertooth P67, but sadly, it just seems to depend a lot on how the sandforce drives are willing to work together with your motherboard.

I love the drive, but it's hard to recommend it to anyone considering it's risk basicly, when you pay so much for a drive and you need to depend on luck to have it run properly, it's a bit painful.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    You're gonna love it. RAID0 with SSD's is absolutely ridiculous. RAID0 with HDD's is ridiculous (contrary to Wikipedia telling people games don't see much advantage), but an SSD is more responsive. Likewise, RAID0 with SSD's is even crazier. No need for indexing, although outlook search is still slow even on SSD's.
    Know what it's not slow on? A Microsoft Exchange server. xD

Pretty easy to setup a home Exchange server too if you happen to have a copy from MSDNAA like I do. Assuming you have some extra cash for a domain, mail relay server, or a Linode or something.

Also speaking of hard drives, I shoved in two semi-old 640GB Samsung Spinpoint F1's and RAID0'd them for a temporary storage partition (mainly for fraps, downloads, etc). Cableing in the back is pretty chaotic now haha.

red panda red panda red panda!

took me a bit to move the fans around cause of ma big hands

http://i.imgur.com/x1nPBl.jpg
    Last edited by Tuca; 2011-12-03 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuca View Post
    took me a bit to move the fans around cause of ma big hands
    how 'modular' is that corsair TXM? I recently bought the seasonic x660 gold for 100 bucks but I can get a tx 650M for about $70.. debating if I should return the seasonic and save some money. what i have read so far though is that the txm has too many cables hardwired and there is very slight advantage of using that over a nonmodular tx 650. is that the case?

I would have been happy with a proper semi modular psu like the corsair HX series instead of a fully modular seasonic but its almost never on sale and I heard the hx 650 is actually eol...dunno if thats true or not.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Well, personally I'd love to make the jump to the next generation, watercool it when the block(s) become available, then call it a day on that section for a while ahead. :P

However, I'm not very patient, so entirely depending on when I get my money I might just get the GTX 580 instead, but perhaps the demonstration will make me want to wait.
    I will use my tax rebate to buy a new graphics card in the spring, seems like it will be the best time since there won't be a new series until 2013 and I can still make use of my 6870 pretty well.

I'm just an impatient sort of fella. ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    /cast revive thread

*cellphone camera sucks I know, am soo sorry*

Pics from initial installation of the Corsair mesh panel for the 650D case. Replacing the window. I think I'll occasionally just switch back to the window just because the mesh panel simply isn't needed for keeping temps in check.. but wth cool thing..

No more camera "flash" so the following pics look well.. very dark..
    I control two fans at a time with an Y-cable from fan controller. Hi-tech.

And the insides since switching to Corsair H100. Push/pull DID fit in a 650D with an ASUS motherboard. I was getting reports that it simply would not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice work! Very cool setup you got there.

Fun setup! However, this thread reminds me... what's become of the demonstration of the HD 7970?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun setup! However, this thread reminds me... what's become of the demonstration of the HD 7970?
    What demonstration?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it turned out to be just a rumour :P. No new cards for you!

What in tarnation? :|

Oh well. I've got a full month's scholarship coming in on the 15th and I don't have anything to spend it on. Because rent is down from 2900 to 400 this month as a way to solve the whole bathroom refund thing. This is a most excellent outcome, even if less than the original outcome we were expecting.

Maybe my roomie will dispute it, so I don't want to get ahead of myself at the moment. I'm just going to poke him again 'bout soon'ish and check what's become of his look into it.

Save it 'til you need it. :]

Don't spend for the sake of spending it. You'll regret it when you can't afford X *and* Y in Feb or whatever.

Eh, I'd always regret purchasing X rather than Y then.

It's also not for the sake of spending it. I don't want to have a upper mid-range card if or when I hop onto watercooling. This seems like a silly plan to me. And honestly, getting more involved than I am already in my computer's hardware is always worth it imo.

Still think that upgrading a GPU this side of new years is a bad choice, but to each his own. :]

I may not buy it in the midst of Christmas season, as they love selling stuff expensive this month, then cheap in January, but that tends to be products that are shit... -_-
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-06 at 04:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I may not buy it in the midst of Christmas season, as they love selling stuff expensive this month, then cheap in January, but that tends to be products that are shit... -_-
    dont forget taxes start jan 17 tons of tax time sales.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    dont forget taxes start jan 17 tons of tax time sales.
    I have no idea what this means, but I don't think it applies to us anyway.