"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hey Max Rebo, looks like a nice setup! Zalman CNPS 9900 cooler pride! /fistbump

I see you were having some overclocking issues - yeah, auto-OC stuff sucks, they all pretty much do the same crap, no matter the brand, it seems. Honestly I wonder if your RAM is actually 1.5v RAM, as you don't want higher than that voltage of RAM with Sandy Bridge, it can cause issues and ultimately torch the CPU's memory controller, so it's best to just get 1.5v RAM. Plus 1866MHz is way faster than you need, you could easily drop down to 1333 or 1600MHz and likely never see the difference. That's just how Sandy Bridge works, better to get some 1333/1600MHz RAM @1.5v with CAS timings of 9-9-9-24.

In the mean-time though, if you wanted to do some good OC, I think this guide should work out alright for ya, even though it's for the P67 chipset, I think most of the things are the same, though I could be slightly wrong. :P

(I suggest printing it out, since it's a lot of steps and you'll be in BIOS to do all of this, obviously.)

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html

Couldn't find the guide I used for OC'ing. This one looks pretty damn similar though.
    Hey, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

I've been a long-time fan of the Zalman coolers, too.

Yes, my RAM is 1.5V according to the packaging. That's what I have it set to.

Instead of buying new RAM, which I don't *really* want to do, would I be able to just run my RAM at a lower DDR rate to achieve a higher CPU overclock? It's not really too important, as I feel I'm getting plenty of bang for the buck with just a 900MHz OC. I'm happy enough now that I can run WoW on Ultra and go to a 25-man raid and not see my system crawl 10-15 fps.

In the meantime, I'll stare at the link you provided above to make sure the settings that I do have are correct. I haven't experienced any problems yet, so that's definitely a good sign.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could perhaps tinker with your RAM and see if you can get lower CAS latencies and a lower speed at 1.5v, especially if it was originally intended for 1866MHz frequency and higher CAS latencies. The lower latencies might help with OC potential, though I may be wrong, if your OC is working fine for you that's good, the guide is just more precise in how to OC and more optimal settings. Literally it goes through *everything.* More on the level of enthusiast OCing than average casual OCing.
    "A flower.

My final replacement fans came in today along with my Corsair M90.

Now the only loud things in the room are my old rig and keystrokes (don't mind them tho, lovin it actually).

Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    Now the only loud things in the room are my old rig and keystrokes (don't mind them tho, lovin it actually).
    And your HAF X.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please explain the actual loud part about the HAF X, Tetris. You've always said it is loud, however you've never said exactly what about it is loud. 1x 230mm, 3x200mm, and 1x140mm fans are your options, and they tend to run pretty dang quiet, even if you turn their speeds up.
    "A flower.

Please explain the actual loud part about the HAF X, Tetris. You've always said it is loud, however you've never said exactly what about it is loud. 1x 230mm, 3x200mm, and 1x140mm fans are your options, and they tend to run pretty dang quiet, even if you turn their speeds up.
    Compare it to a quiet case.

It has mesh.
    It has fans.
    It is not quiet.
    If you can hear the difference when it's actually powered on and when it's not, it's not silent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said it was silent, however it is far from "loud."

As I am sure you recall from a number of my posts, I'm in a basement, as such, there is a furnace and sump pump, not too far away from me. I would say about 15-20 feet away from me, around a corner, and they are significantly louder than my computer. In fact they completely drain my computer out, where I turn the computer on and I don't notice a change in noise in the room. So I guess it is silent. I'll go ahead and bite and give you the benefit of the doubt, true it has mesh, true it does have fans (just like your computer), true it does not have sound dampening, unlike yours. However we must consider location and quality of fans in said computer and how high they are set, for me personally? I don't keep mine at super high speeds, and even at higher speeds, 200mm fans tend to be pretty quiet.

For a bit of comparison, right now my HAF X is sitting next to a box ready to be shipped to Cooler Master and my computer is out in open air, as can be seen a page or so ago in some pictures. To be quite honest, I do not hear the 4 total fans that are on the rig right now. We all know how amazing SeaSonic is with the fans they put in their PSUs, the Zalman CNPS 9900ALED is actually very quiet, though I have not stressed my CPU, maybe I should, but as for right now, the only way I can tell the CPU fan is going is I can feel a very light and pleasant breeze on my face from it. Then you have the 2 fans on my MSI TF II (non-propeller version, I really like TFII over the TFIII. The TFII has the same type of fan blades as the Asus DCII cooler.) and I cannot hear them either.

I wish you could come and hear my computer in person, I'd love to hear your extremely specific opinion.
    "A flower.

I wish you could come and hear my computer in person, I'd love to hear your extremely specific opinion.
    Yea. About that. I'm not going to someone elses house, not even Marest who lives 20 min from me :P

Also. The HAF cases. I've heard them. Not gonna get "not so loud" in them. I think you should visit someone who really has a "not so loud" pc and you'll hear that, yea, there's a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what HAF cases you've heard or whose you heard, however my ears work pretty darn well, I've consistently been told by doctors I have, quite literally, perfect hearing, and I can tell you, my computer was very quiet. Like I said though, it *could* be that it was being drained out by my house's furnace and sump pump, however I've literally been right next to the computer, and I can hardly hear it at all. Any quieter and it will literally be silent.

Anyways tetris, I'd like to just compromise and let bygones be bygones and agree to disagree. ;p You have not heard my computer, I have not heard yours. However, being that you're the resident Fractal expert, the Fractal Design Define XL, how do you like it? Is it pretty much just an R3 "full-tower version?" How is the cable management? Is there ample room behind the motherboard tray? I know I will be returning the brand new HAF X for store credit at the store I got the old one from, kind of torn on what chassis to go for. Considering a few, being the Silverstone Raven RV01, Fractal Design Define XL, (maybe?) NZXT Switch 810, Cosmos 2 (not likely).... thoughts?
    "A flower.

Smile

unsure if this is allowed, but i'm this ][ close to buying this. one of my friends who i work with built it. he calls it project citrus
    CASE: Lian Li A05nb
    CPU: AMD FX 8150
    MOBO: Gigabyte 990fxa-UD5
    PSU: Corsair HX650W
    RAM: GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 4x2gb
    GPU: EVGA 9800gtx+

still fairly powerful, heres the kicker (pics)

http://i.imgur.com/oM0xI.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2OKrB.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/3BE0P.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/x4nfL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OsyDj.jpg
    more pics at overclock.net

Quote Originally Posted by tcaruth View Post
    unsure if this is allowed, but i'm this ][ close to buying this. one of my friends who i work with built it. he calls it project citrus
    CASE: Lian Li A05nb
    CPU: AMD FX 8150
    MOBO: Gigabyte 990fxa-UD5
    PSU: Corsair HX650W
    RAM: GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 4x2gb
    GPU: EVGA 9800gtx+

still fairly powerful, heres the kicker (pics)

http://i.imgur.com/oM0xI.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2OKrB.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/3BE0P.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/x4nfL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OsyDj.jpg
    more pics at overclock.net
    Apart from the GPU and the poor choosing of the motherboard (the colours don't really match, sadly), I like it.
    The GPU is capable, but aging.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll ignore the fact it's a Bulldozer-based system and say, HOLY COW. That is a beaut. Your friend really did a great job, aside from the mismatching colors tetris pointed out, it looks ridiculously sweet. Now you guys just need to work on upgrading that GPU to something a little bit more current.
    "A flower.

Hey bulldozer may not have been the intel killer it was believed to be but it really is not a shabby set of cpu's knock a few bucks of it and it would be so much more all appealing by all means. Also deltrus I have a silent(not really) pc for my living room and compared to my old case the haf 922 is so much louder. It's basically just a protective shell rather than a true case. It's like comparing a mercedes to a crown vic 1 has all sorts of wild soundproofing and suspension to make the ride as enjoyable as possible the other has some but its a lot louder now cut a hole in the hood and it will sound even worse!

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple reply - again, you guys have not heard mine, perhaps there is some difference. I did, however, replace the fans, if people forgot. I got some Cooler Master Megaflows (reds), a Xigmatek 140mm red, and a Xigmatek 200mm blue Crystal series fans..... they're all insanely quiet.

Xigmatek 140mm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233054
    Xigmatek 200mm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233075
    WHISPER-QUIET
    The XIGMATEK LED Fan Crystal series runs at an ultra-low noise level (<18 dBA) to deliver a quiet computer environment. Anti-vibration rubbers are attached.

Cooler Master Megaflow: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103072
    HIGH COOLING PERFORMANCE WITH LOW RPM AND EXTREME SILENCE
    The Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP features a huge 200mm fan running at 700 RPM to deliver high air flow of 110 CFM and low to 19 dBA noise level for outstanding heat dissipation as well as quiet operation.

I believe I ran these fans all under what they're listed, like the CM Megaflow at 700 RPM, I may have been running it at a lower level. I know my Sentry 2 fan controller had all of my fans set at 40%, any lower and it just shut them off, oddly enough. Kind of like how my TFII 560 Ti won't lower the fans below 40%. O_o
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Just got myself some new peripherals:

Mionix Naos 5000
    Mionix Propus 380
    Corsair Vengeance K90
    Zalman ZM-MIC1

Thanks, Marest! I needed some neck-practice here. :P
    Looking fun though.

In retrospect, I have mixed feelings about the G510. Finding the apps to make use of the LCD screen is a pain, and the thing doesn't work until I've booted into Windows. That's a nuisance. Having to use a second keyboard for whenever I want to enter BIOS is a nuisance.

HaF 932

Case: Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced
    Motherboard: Asus p8p67 Rev. 3.1
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212 plus
    Video: HiS Radeon HD 6950 IceQ
    Ram: g.Skill 16gb(4x4) 1600 mhtz
    Power: OCZ zt 750W
    SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
    Hard Drive: 500gb WD Caviar Black
    Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Master Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    This is my current build.

The only short-term changes I have in mind are changing the 9x Koolance fans inside of the ERM-3K3UC to a set of 9x Noctua NF-F12s. I'm also considering selling off my remaining GTX 590 so I can pick up a set of 3 eVGA GTX 580 Classied Ultra HCs. However, Kepler shouldn't be too far away, so I'll likely just keep this thing until the 580 equivalent is released.

Chassis (cooling excluded):
    Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Power Supply - Corsair AX1200
    Motherboard - eVGA Classified 3
    Processor - Intel i7-990x 4.4GHz at 1.35v. Idle temps are ~22-26c and full load temps are ~42-48c after an hour of Prime.
    Graphics Card - eVGA GTX 590 Classified
    Memory - 24GB Corsair Vengeance
    HDD Storage - 4x 1TB Western Digital RE4 in RAID5
    OS SSD - 2x 240GB Corsair Force GT in RAID0

Processor and Graphics Card Loop:
    Core - Koolance ERM-3K3UC (pump, radiator, reservoir, fans, and all controllers are included in this).
    CPU Block - Koolance CPU-370
    Graphic Card Block - Koolance VID-NX590
    Temperature Sensor - Koolance SEN-AP008PB
    Flow Meter - Koolance INS-FM18
    Tubing - Tygon R-3603 10mm ID 13mm OD

Memory and Motherboard Loop:
    Core - Koolance RP-1200 (pump, reservoir, and applicable controller is included in this).
    Radiator - Koolance HX-CU1020V
    Memory Blocks - 6x Koolance RAM-33
    Memory Block Fittings - CNT-MEAU
    Motherboard Block - EK-FB eVGA x58 Classified 3
    Temperature Sensor - Koolance SEN-AP008G
    Flow Meter - Koolance INS-FM18
    Tubing - Tygon R-3603 10mm ID 13mm OD
    Fans - 3x 120mm BitFenix Spectre LED.

Misc Stuff:
    Fans - 1x 120mm BitFenix Spectre LED and 3x 140mm BitFenix Spectre LED
    Fan Controller - Scythe Kaze Master
    Monitors - 2x 27" Apple LED Cinema Displays (One is controlled my my PC, and the other is controlled by my Mac Pro, Xbox, and PS3).
    CD/DVD Drive - Walmart special - relatively pointless component for me. The black plastic bezel is atrocious, so I just keep it unplugged and hidden from sight.

I think that's most everything, but I'm sure I've missed a thing or two here and there. I'd love to add a few images and/or a validation link to this post, but that's apparently impossible due to my not being a social butterfly on a forum.
    Last edited by Kass; 2012-02-07 at 07:16 PM.