Quote Originally Posted by Uncutshadow View Post
    Its a antec spot cool good for little places in the case like the north bridge etc
    ...which is completely useless. >.>;

Deleted
    Alright, my first ever build and I'm super happy with it. Runs like a charm and was a fantastic experience learning about it. Next month investing in an SSD, some more case fans and a gaming mouse (maybe even a chair!)

i5 2500K @ 4.0Ghz
    Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
    MSI G43 Z77 Mobo
    8Gb Mushkin RAM
    GeForce 670 GTX GPU
    1Tb SeaGate HDD
    OCZ 650w PSU
    Corsair 400R Carbide Chassis
    Asus 22" HDMI Monitor

Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2012-06-03 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    ...which is completely useless. >.>;
    Righttttttttttttttttttttt....

Thnk you need to answering your questions with abit more knowledge added to it ty ty

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Righttttttttttttttttttttt....

Thnk you need to answering your questions with abit more knowledge added to it ty ty
    Actually in a high airflow case like the HAF X (trust me, I have one) it really is useless. Where you have that fan aimed it's really doing nothing beneficial. For the record, the North Bridge is actually under the CPU, and then the South Bridge is even lower, however I believe on LGA Socket 1155 boards, the North Bridge doesn't get nearly as hot as the South.

I'll also back up Drunkenvalley as someone who does have a lot of knowledge about computers, he has built several and has a full custom liquid loop, as well.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-06-03 at 05:50 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Alright, my first ever build and I'm super happy with it. Runs like a charm and was a fantastic experience learning about it. Next month investing in an SSD, some more case fans and a gaming mouse (maybe even a chair!)

i5 2500K @ 4.0Ghz
    Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
    MSI G43 Z77 Mobo
    8Gb Mushkin RAM
    GeForce 670 GTX GPU
    1Tb SeaGate HDD
    OCZ 650w PSU
    Corsair 400R Carbide Chassis
    Asus 22" HDMI Monitor

http://i45.tinypic.com/zmmdkg.jpg
    http://i48.tinypic.com/20sgj0l.jpg
    Looks slick! Great cable management for your first build!

Dat box underneath your desk must be hella comfy to sit behind btw!

Please don't quote entire posts without breaking the image links.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-06-07 at 10:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey man feel free to stick fans wherever you like lets not bail on the guy (Drunken started it!) because it atleast looksinteresting, I personally haven't seen anything like it. Unless you count that Thermaltake mouse that had a fan which looked a suspiciously similar to that little fan inside Uncut's case.

But yeah, FYI the northbridge/southbridge haven't needed additional cooling since long before the socket 1336 days (and I mean way before that), it'd be the equivalent of trying to cool your PSU with additional fans pointing at it :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Actually in a high airflow case like the HAF X (trust me, I have one) it really is useless. Where you have that fan aimed it's really doing nothing beneficial. For the record, the North Bridge is actually under the CPU, and then the South Bridge is even lower, however I believe on LGA Socket 1155 boards, the North Bridge doesn't get nearly as hot as the South.

I'll also back up Drunkenvalley as someone who does have a lot of knowledge about computers, he has built several and has a full custom liquid loop, as well.
    Depending how high you're overclocking, and the level of power you're pushing to the CPU, MOFSETs can get VERY hot. Even in an HAF X. Though not enough to cause serious problems, it's more of a paranoid parrot or OCD peace of mind.

Also, Intel systems don't even use a southbridge. Almost all 'Northbridge' chipsets on LGA1155/1156 boards is to the right of the PCIe slots. I know in my system, it's half covered by my 560Ti.

Although now that I think about it, technically the CPU itself is the new northbridge, since it does everything old northbridge chipsets used to do.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Depending how high you're overclocking, and the level of power you're pushing to the CPU, MOFSETs can get VERY hot. Even in an HAF X. Though not enough to cause serious problems, it's more of a paranoid parrot or OCD peace of mind.

Also, Intel systems don't even use a southbridge. Almost all 'Northbridge' chipsets on LGA1155/1156 boards is to the right of the PCIe slots. I know in my system, it's half covered by my 560Ti.

Although now that I think about it, technically the CPU itself is the new northbridge, since it does everything old northbridge chipsets used to do.
    He's running a H100 push/pull at 4ghz, that fan is not necessary imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Like I said, it's for OCD. I bet his MOFSETs would get pretty hot considering a water block doesn't move any air around them whatsoever.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted

Setup isn't complete yet but will be soon enough, need to get two monitors of the same size and resolution unlike the two stand in ones I'm using one of which is a tv.

My setup:

PC specs - CPU Type: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz System Memory: 15.99 GB Video Card Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Video Card Memory: 3.92 GB Primary Display Resolution: 1360x768 Secondary Display Resolution: 1824x1004

Turtle Beach PX21 headset which is held on the wall if you can see it.
    Vestalife firefly speakers/iphone dock.
    Ipad "3" ( I watch a lot of TV and movies on it through Netflix and the SkyGo app mostly)
    PS3

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    It isn't making things any hotter that's for sure, plus it looks cool.

What size is the second monitor? 1824*1004 seems an odd resolution.

Deleted
    Think its a 19" the resolution is off of the blizzard tool that gets your specs when you set your preferences for beta opt ins, so don't know if its correct or not. Got it so long a go I don't have any manuals or the box left to check either =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Should have spent some of that wasted money, from the PSU, on a better CPU heatsink!
    yea, the PSU wasnt my first choice, but i got it cheap-ish and i'm totally fine with the 212 EVO for my uses. I don't plan on even overclocking anything.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its a antec spot cool good for little places in the case like the north bridge etc
    Your motherboard doesn't have a "Northbridge" or ICH. It has a very cool PCH which is covered by that expansion card shroud. Unless your RAM is running at super-high clocks and voltage, you don't need focused air cooling on that either. Basically the only boards I've ever used a Spot Cool for were nForce the 680i/780i/790i. They had really hot Northbridges as well as NF200 PCIe bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Your motherboard doesn't have a "Northbridge" or ICH. It has a very cool PCH which is covered by that expansion card shroud. Unless your RAM is running at super-high clocks and voltage, you don't need focused air cooling on that either. Basically the only boards I've ever used a Spot Cool for were nForce the 680i/780i/790i. They had really hot Northbridges as well as NF200 PCIe bridges.
    My bad guys very sorry il prob get rid of it tonight :P was in local PC shop for £1 on sale rofl

Funny story though when I got that new 3 gen mb from a local computer shop Novatec "cough" ... it wouldnt cold boot after 8-9 hours :S

So I took it back to the shop explained it to the member of staff and they didnt have the slightest clue what I was talking about and re-fused the replace the mb (baring in mind the MB was 2 days old no oc etc)

They told me the mb booted up after the 3rd time at still held their ground telling me it didnt need replacing... I honestly felt like saying "are you listening to yourself " it only booted after the 3rd time thats not right

I got the manager and told him about the cold boot problem and the words that came out of his mouth was "Oh yeah I know cool here we are new mb replacement " no questions asked and I havnt had problem since

in

Deleted
    My bad guys very sorry il prob get rid of it tonight :P was in local PC shop for £1 on sale rofl

Funny story though when I got that new 3 gen mb from a local computer shop Novatec "cough" ... it wouldnt cold boot after 8-9 hours :S

So I took it back to the shop explained it to the member of staff and they didnt have the slightest clue what I was talking about and re-fused the replace the mb (baring in mind the MB was 2 days old no oc etc)

They told me the mb booted up after the 3rd time at still held their ground telling me it didnt need replacing... I honestly felt like saying "are you listening to yourself " it only booted after the 3rd time thats not right

I got the manager and told him about the cold boot problem and the words that came out of his mouth was "Oh yeah I know cool here we are new mb replacement " no questions asked and I havnt had problem since
    Personally i would not listen to the people who tell you it is useless and keep it in for a bit of flavor. It is nice to see something a bit different now and again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    Personally i would not listen to the people who tell you it is useless and keep it in for a bit of flavor. It is nice to see something a bit different now and again
    Exactly, we here at MMO-C can only give advice/tips and point out stuff. It's entirely up to the person whether they want to take the advice or not
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I'm not hating on the style, but it was the initial response that required I made a point that you don't need a fan for it; it's going to be perfectly fine passively cooled, even if temperatures may get a little higher than with the fan.

Now, so far as setups go...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A finalized setup from none other than Drunkenvalley? Surely you jest! inb4 in two weeks Drunken is changing his chassis or something. ;p

So I'm trying to decide if I should drop back down to one monitor.... it just looks so much neater, (partially since my two monitors are not matching).
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water