Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    I will go with epeen lol there is nothing that requires you too have SLI 690 atm
    Yep, dual GTX 690 will run anything effortless, on max with frame rates of 60+ on three screens at 5760*1080.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Yep, dual GTX 690 will run anything effortless, on max with frame rates of 60+ on three screens at 5760*1080.
    well my 2 gtx680's do that
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't understand the people SLI'ing 690's, not to mention a single 690 can run games just fine, two of them together will run into massive VRAM confinements before the cores become an issue. Unlike the 4GB 680 I picked up, which will run into core issues before the VRAM is anywhere close to be filled (and can just be remedied by adding more core power - as in another 4GB 680), the dual 690's will have to be swapped out completely at that stage as you can't upgrade VRAM no matter how many cards you have!

Of course - if you only play a select few games, I'm sure that's not an issue, but my Skyrim can reach 2.6GB VRAM usage on its own,that's almost 3GB of memory usage just on the GPU!
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Just because it doesn't conform to your uses, doesn't mean everyone use their computers the same way you do. Keep an open mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can probebly add 3 more schreens and have no problem at all.. Maybe the VRAM though.. So in that sense 4x 4GB 680 might be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Just because it doesn't conform to your uses, doesn't mean everyone use their computers the same way you do. Keep an open mind.
    I understand that, hence the statement at the end, you do bite sometimes don't you

I'm merely stating facts. The facts are that in the case of SLI 690, you will run short on VRAM before core power (unless of course the drivers are particularly bad). Something that cannot be upgraded and therefore requiring you to swap out both cards.
    Digital Rumination
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    You can probebly add 3 more schreens and have no problem at all.. Maybe the VRAM though.. So in that sense 4x 4GB 680 might be better.
    You won't be able to use all of that VRAM if the GPUs are in SLI, which mind you, 690s are.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You won't be able to use all of that VRAM if the GPUs are in SLI, which mind you, 690s are.
    It would effectively be quad SLI with 2x 690's. I do wish they'd have made them with the 4GB each, can imagine it's a lot to fit on a card though.
    Digital Rumination

Doesn't it still only add up to 2GB usable VRAM with dual 690s? And with four 680s wouldn't you have 4GB?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    Doesn't it still only add up to 2GB usable VRAM with dual 690s?
    It does indeed, they may state it as a '4GB' model, but each core can only access 2GB. Due to the multiple cores processing alternate frames, each core must then store almost a complete replicate of the other core's memory.
    Digital Rumination

My Machince
    CPU: Intel core i5 2500k
    Heatsink: Corsair h60 liquid cooling
    Mobo: Asus p8z77-v
    Case:Cooler master haf 912
    PSU: Corsair 750TX
    Ram;16gb Corsair vengence ddr3
    Graphics card: EVGA 560 ti 2gb
    HDD: 1tb western digital
    SSD: OCZ vertex 3 120gb

Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    It does indeed, they may state it as a '4GB' model, but each core can only access 2GB. Due to the multiple cores processing alternate frames, each core must then store almost a complete replicate of the other core's memory.
    There are apparently exceptions to the rule, but then it's no longer being used in any conventional way, lol.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't it still only add up to 2GB usable VRAM with dual 690s? And with four 680s wouldn't you have 4GB?
    It all depends on what the main card has. If you have 2GB VRAM 680s, then you'll get a total of 2GB of VRAM, even if you have 3 680s backing it up. If it has 4GB, then you'll have 4GB.

Same thing with the 690s however instead of it being all the VRAM on the PCB itself, it's only the amount they give per 680 chip on the PCB, thus if a 690 is listed as 4GB, you should do some digging, it is probably 2GB per chip, thus effectively 2GB of VRAM total.

Yes, it is very shady and I don't like it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwayzdead View Post
    My Machince
    CPU: Intel core i5 2500k
    Heatsink: Corsair h60 liquid cooling
    Mobo: Asus p8z77-v
    Case:Cooler master haf 912
    PSU: Corsair 750TX
    Ram;16gb Corsair vengence ddr3
    Graphics card: EVGA 560 ti 2gb
    HDD: 1tb western digital
    SSD: OCZ vertex 3 120gb
    Nice setup, I am particularly fond of the 2GB 560Ti's, think they are a fantastic card.

Yes, it is very shady and I don't like it.
    Indeed, it can be very misleading.
    Digital Rumination

I guess dual-GPU cards are so uncommonly produced and niche that there really isn't enough dissatisfaction to fuel any sort of campaign against it. Well, that and the fact that the people dropping $1000 on a GPU are probably knowledgeable enough on the topic to know exactly what they'll be getting.

the fact that the people dropping $1000 on a GPU are probably knowledgeable enough on the topic to know exactly what they'll be getting.
    Plenty of people who just buy the most expensive product because they associate a big price-tag to high quality. Ignorance, yes.

True. I suppose it has that appeal of being the highest performing (and most expensive) single card on the market, which attracts a lot of amateur builders with more money than sense who just want something that's "the best there is" and not what's best for them.

Deleted
    True. I suppose it has that appeal of being the highest performing (and most expensive) single card on the market, which attracts a lot of amateur builders with more money than sense who just want something that's "the best there is" and not what's best for them.
    Lets not pretend we know the reasons people buy what they do and frankly it's their own damn business. I'm not a moderator but I'd say this thread has gone massively off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I'm not a moderator but I'd say this thread has gone massively off-topic.
    Indeed. If you want to chat, please use the Computer Chat thread (link my sig) or make a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Lets not pretend we know the reasons people buy what they do and frankly it's their own damn business. I'm not a moderator but I'd say this thread has gone massively off-topic.
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I never said that everyone who buys a 690 fits into the category of more money than sense, just that it's a card that's more likely to attract some people who want what they perceive as the best without doing a lot of research when compared to its lower-end brothers. Of course it's a great card, and there are plenty of people who buy it as an informed purchase. I'm not making sweeping statements that everyone, or even most, who buy a 690 are ignorant, just that it can be an attractive option for some who are. Just clarifying my point, sorry for this last off-topic post.