Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    @Armond I'm kind of limited given the size of my case, I dont have the back panel room to route cables behind the motherboard, what can you recommend I could do to improve airflow/cabling look, given what you can see in my pics?
    I'd honestly recommend buying a pound of cable ties and going to town. I don't have the time right now to take a pic of my box, but it looks something like a roller coaster - there's a path the general bunch of cables follows, and it obviously splits from time to time, but everything is as bunched up as I could get it.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Hmm... 17c would mean room temperatures in the high 40s or 10c~.

That aside, if your other claims are true, it would be very wise not to raise your already dangerously high voltage any more. You'll end up frying the chip.
    My room is a warm one. It's 7:30 AM and it's already 72*F/22.3*C in here. Later tonight, after I get home, I expect it'll be closer to 76-80*F.

And yeah, not touching those settings. I actually built this guy about six months ago, and that bluescreen in my previous post is the first one I've had. Not gonna touch that vcore setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Which caviar green would that be? :-P Not dissing the choice, just saying.. Greens have lower RPM and cache than blacks, that's the whole point of them. (less speed -> less power = less sound and heat)
    I know, right? I was pretty surprised too. But check it out - I spent a good ten minutes flipping between the green and the black before I decided I must be crazy and got the green.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    I know, right? I was pretty surprised too. But check it out - I spent a good ten minutes flipping between the green and the black before I decided I must be crazy and got the green.
    Those are false specs. Western Digital doesn't officially report the speed of the Green drives but instead talk about their "smart speed adjusting technology" that sets the RPM according to the search / write function you are specifying. It is limited to 5400 RPM by hardware, though (which they don't mention in the technical specs). Greens are also made from cheaper parts hence the shorter warranty.

Nevertheless, if I was buying a storage drive right now I'd use the Green one instead of the Black I have at the moment. It's loud. Probably the loudest part in my pc while idling. :< Also the boot up sound is shattering. Like someone scratching nails against a blackboard.

Deleted
    I would check Western Digital's website and specification sheets and not look on Amazon.

The Green drives use what WD calls "IntelliPower", which essentially means that the drive will use whatever speed it finds "necessary". According to tests, the max speed is 5400 RPM, but it can "boost", or ramp up to 5900 RPM if the drive feels the need.

According to WD themselves IntelliPower is:
    A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.

Basically, the drive will throttle itself when needed and run around 5400 RPM "normally" and in day-to-day use and only boost say at system startup or when the drive is used really intensely; like when installing large late, i.e. a game. It will still always be slower than a Black.

Whereas the Blacks run at 7200 RPM.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the information, both of you.

That said, I'm using it for storage and I can't say as I've noticed any real issues with it (I primarily use it to hold my videos and such, and they play back fine). So, perhaps it wasn't such a bad deal after all.

Case: Corsair 650D
    CPU: Intel i7-3770k @ 3.9GHz
    MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V
    Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 1866MHz
    Video Card: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    PSU: Corsair AX750
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB

http://i.imgur.com/RHKjN.jpg

So my oh my got my first bad part from newegg. Got my parts on Friday and found my motherboard was bad womp womp. Now I get to wait til tomorrow to be able to send it out for RMA because its Columbus Day. So hopefully Ill have it back by next week but then I go on vacation so well see if I have time to get it setup before then.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Synthaxx, that is so cool. I really like the colour matching of your GPU + CPU cooler
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly recommend buying a pound of cable ties and going to town. I don't have the time right now to take a pic of my box, but it looks something like a roller coaster - there's a path the general bunch of cables follows, and it obviously splits from time to time, but everything is as bunched up as I could get it.
    Ya they really are a computer geeks best friend, I'll get some from the garage and spend a few hours this week organizing the mess. I spent a few hours Sunday "sealing" my case, intake fans are filtered, side panels and any case "gaps" where sealed with 1/4" thick foam insulation tape (for weather striping doors, works well). When my GPU fan isn't roaring like a jet engine my case is damn near whisper quiet now, put a load on it however all my fans kick into overdrive and its just a wall of noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    @ Synthax and the gpu temps.

Thats what you get when buying a reference cooler. I do admit it looks cool in the case. But (imo) you should have gone with a custom cooler (asus/gigabyte). And with adding extra case fans, airflow should get better. (So you dont have to get a blower fan for that )

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    @ Synthax and the gpu temps.

Thats what you get when buying a reference cooler. I do admit it looks cool in the case. But (imo) you should have gone with a custom cooler (asus/gigabyte). And with adding extra case fans, airflow should get better. (So you dont have to get a blower fan for that )
    Little to do with that, really. The 800D in general has pretty terrible aircooling, so temps in that case are universally pretty high.

Deleted
    Bought a sleeving-kit just for fun and tested sleeving the cable on an old case fan today. Didn't turn out great but for a first attempt I'm fairly happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Marest if that's your first attempt at sleeving then you did a damn fine job.

@Synthaxx well I'll be darned, you're probably the only person I know who went back to air from water and is finding it an improved experience :O

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Little to do with that, really. The 800D in general has pretty terrible aircooling, so temps in that case are universally pretty high.
    That's a bit sad considering how much that thing costs, and the overall looks are pretty sleek too. Oh well.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Bought a sleeving-kit just for fun and tested sleeving the cable on an old case fan today. Didn't turn out great but for a first attempt I'm fairly happy.
    Could you provide a link to where you bought the set?

Searching ''sleeve kit'', ''sleeve''. Or any other word of relevance i could think of did not bring me to the product i was searching for.

MDPC-X.com will have pretty much everything, as well as some of the best quality. Just know that sleeving can be a PITA to get right.

MDPC-X.com will have pretty much everything, as well as some of the best quality. Just know that sleeving can be a PITA to get right.
    Well i enjoy doing new things on my hobby, time consumption is not a problem. On the contrary, i enjoy spending time. As long as it yields results that is.

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    Well i enjoy doing new things on my hobby, time consumption is not a problem. On the contrary, i enjoy spending time. As long as it yields results that is.
    What I mean is, remember that the pictures of sleeving is almost always about 10 times the actual scale, so millimeter precision is required for the good results, and then you have to repeat this success. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU i5-2500k @ 4.5
    RAM 2x4GB 1333 G.SKILL Ripjaw X
    OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Keyboard Logitech G510
    Mouse Logitech M310
    Speakers/Headphones Sennheiser HD 419
    Motherboard BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3)
    Hard Drive 1 Samsung 830 256GB SSD - OS/Software Drive
    Hard Drive 2 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black - Game Drive
    Hard Drive 3 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black - Fraps Drive
    Optical Drive Liteon 24x DVD-R
    Display 1 Asus VE245H 24" 1080p LCD
    Display 2 Samsung 42" 720p Plasma
    PSU Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
    Mouse Pad XTracPads Ripper XL - Customized
    GPU EVGA GTX 570
    CPU Cooling Cooler Master V6 GT
    Case Cooler Master HAF X RC 942
    Sound Card X-Fi Fatality Champion
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-10-10 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Changed formatting.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Picked up some parts for my build earlier today.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 02:08 PM ----------
    Old build:
    i5-2500k - Stock cooler
    Asus GTX 470 - Coolit Omni closed loop watercooling
    4GB x 2 Corsair Dominator 1600MHZ Tall
    1 x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    2 x Seasonic 400GB 7200RPM - Unknown name
    Highres image - http://i.imgur.com/Mgm43.jpg

3200x2400 http://i.imgur.com/5YIx1.jpg

The MSI 7970 Lightning FYI, so you don't confuse it with the GTX 680. And you won't believe what came in the box. Intel / Nvidia documents from 1998/1999 regarding warranty. It also makes references to DX5 and DX6 :P

3200x2400 http://i.imgur.com/DEsmB.jpg

Yeah i know, the H80 is superior to the H70 in every way. But the fans in picture bellow was included in a package deal at a discount. The price of the package minus the price of buying two separate fans would save me 15USD. So i basically got the pump, radiator etc for 15 Dollars.

3200x2400 http://i.imgur.com/3DgI0.jpg

I will post a picture of the new setup when my camera is recharged. And sorry about the double post thing, needed 10 posts to attach images.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2012-10-10 at 12:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    @Marest if that's your first attempt at sleeving then you did a damn fine job.
    Indeed first time ever. Mistakes were:
    - Shrink that came with the kit was either way too big for that particular sleeve or just too small. I had to do a "custom" solution with a cable tie at the other end - not looking great but it won't show if I ever decide to use this fan.
    - The sleeve itself wasn't stretched perfectly, mainly due to me measuring wrong. It could've been stretched another 4-6 mm probably which would mean a tighter fit. Still, you can't see the cables underneath at glance so I'm happy.
    - As I used a regular lighter I managed to burn a small portion of the shrink-tubing at the end. The pictures don't show this, but it looks a bit nasty close-up.

Could you provide a link to where you bought the set?
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/5321536/...ving-kit-svart

Not perhaps the cheapest kit ever, but it does come with sleeve in different sizes, heatshrink tubing, some cable ties and other miscellaneous items that could or could not be of use. If you just want to try out sleeving (and do a more "general" job, say sleeve a bunch of cables together just for fun) it's a decent kit, but I'd probably recommend to actually buy a tool-kit and some 3 mm sleeve instead of the above. The cost would be less most likely.

Indeed, for any serious sleeving you should go to MDPC. http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve.htm

And, it's only a PITA if you want it to be exactly right. Expect to redo cables a few times if you want the sleeve to be stretched properly, be the right size and for the heatshrink to align perfectly. For more "general" sleeving (say, like the sleeves on extension cables) it's just time consuming I reckon.

Well, each cable on, for example, a GPU power cable can take around 10-15 minutes to complete. Factor in redoing it when it's not perfect and you can count around 20 min per cable. For a novice/first time this is probably ~30+ min per cable. Once you start doing a few you get the hang of it though and it speeds up the process somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    @Synthaxx well I'll be darned, you're probably the only person I know who went back to air from water and is finding it an improved experience :O
    I went from my water loop to a NH-D14 and my temps are lower as well, but I'm partly contributing that to proper TIM application this time.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-10 at 01:15 PM.