Owwwwwww. My fingers are hurting now lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's really beautiful Drunken, god damn it haha.

Puts my NZXT cable extensions to shame.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    <zznnnip>
    God almighty, that is bloody awesome. I really can't wait till I get the money to do a full system overhaul.

Just out of curiosity, is the difference between u2711 and u3011 big and worth the extra money? If you have seen it of course.

---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 03:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Owwwwwww. My fingers are hurting now lol.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/e5TOa.jpg[IMG]
    I am planning to do some mega cable sleeving for my system which I am hopefully going to build by next year, is it hard and frustrating to do it or?
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-10-25 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Stop quoting images
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    I am planning to do some mega cable sleeving for my system which I am hopefully going to build by next year, is it hard and frustrating to do it or?
    I found it quite easy, but it enjoys hurting my fingers. That, and I nicked my right hand's index finger with the knife I used to cut sleeve to size.
    It's no reason to worry. It's about 2mm big cut lol.

After a few tries, I found it was silly hard to get the result I wanted with heatshrink, so I wanted to get heatshrinkless instead, since that wouldn't show virtually any errors at all. Also was one less factor to deal with, I found.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-10-25 at 02:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is the difference between u2711 and u3011 big and worth the extra money? If you have seen it of course.
    I have seen both the Apple Cinema Display and the U3011 "in action" and can honestly say that the ACD looks the best, although at a much higher price. However, I sit with a window in my back which means glare galore and as such I need a matte display; alas the U2711 and the U3011. Note though that the ACD is 8-biit only while the U2711 and U3011 is 8-bit with the ability to emulate 10-bit.

The difference between these two (U2711 and U3011) is simply that the bezel extends down on the U3011. As far as the panel goes, they are near identical. I much prefer the 1440p resolution over 1600p, and the price difference at the time was 5400 SEK versus 9600 SEK. The choice was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    After a few tries, I found it was silly hard to get the result I wanted with heatshrink, so I wanted to get heatshrinkless instead, since that wouldn't show virtually any errors at all. Also was one less factor to deal with, I found.
    So how do you attach the sleeve then?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    So how do you attach the sleeve then?
    There's a groove on the pin where I've melted the sleeve and patted it down into the groove. Basically hooking it end to end on the cable. Lutr0 describes it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly a PC component but somewhat related, this is our Sherwood Newcastle R-626 amplifier which has been running great since we purchased it in 1999 (click for full-res).

Back when we bought it we were still a young family and didn't really know what the hell this thing could even do, only how to clip-in exposed wire from the back (no plugs) to connect the speakers. Now that I'm all grown-up and I decided to open it and HOLY CRAP CAPACITORS. Cleanup time!

The 5.1 speaker setup that came with it are all nearing their life's end, crackling and giving horrible bass (sounds like someone farting) but the amplifier lives on

Currently contemplating whether I should keep it around to power the next speaker system that I get. If I do keep it around it'll pretty much only exist for amplification purposes (even though it was aimed at handling video+audio) because back then HDMI hadn't even been invented.

Apparently audio equipment "ages well" unlike computers, but I don't know to what extent...I mean I've seen people happily using some pretty ancient equipment (like mixers) but what about sound quality :S
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-10-25 at 08:23 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Isn't Sherwood a side spin on Kenwood? Just looks very similar to something I had years ago.....can't beat the old stuff

I would keep it tbh m8 my buddy still roll's with a Pioneer amp and little Tannoy bookshelf speakers
    Last edited by mmoc8d9a66b0a0; 2012-10-25 at 09:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So it's been a while since i last posted my gaming setup. And since then there where some major changes. But they happened bit by bit, so didn't really feel compelled to post, but now with a new case, it's update time!

My old rig about 2 years ago was the following:

Case: Lian Li PC-07FN
    PSU: Tagan Piperock 500W
    CPU: Intel i5-750
    RAM: 2x2GB Kingston DDR3-1333
    MB: Asus P7P55D
    VGA: MSI Hawk 5770
    DVD: LG GH-22NS70
    SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex2
    HDD1: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm
    HDD2: WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400rpm

TFT: Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW
    Speakers: Technics HD50 Mini Hifi System
    Headset: Sennheiser PC-150
    Mouse: Logitech G9x
    Keyboard: Cherry G83 standard keyboard

Now i am sitting with the following:

Image links to an album with several images

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power E9 480W 80+Gold modular
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k
    Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 3
    RAM: 2x4GB DDR3-1333 Silicon Power
    MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX
    VGA: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB OC
    DVD: LG GH-22NS90
    SSD: Crucial m4 128GB
    HDD1: 1TB WD Caviar Green
    HDD2: 2x2TB Samsung SpinPoint F4 Eco Green in Raid1

Peripherals like before, except:
    Keyboard: DasKeyboard Model S silent professional
    Headset: Plantronics GameCom 380
    Mousemat: Roccat Taito

In case you are wondering, why i swapped from Sennheiser to Plantronics: My Brother killled the Mic on my Sennheiser and i just needed a cheap headset for Vent/TS. The Plantronics is very comfortable to wear, and while the sound quality isn't on par with Sennheiser, it's perfectly fine for voice chat. (i don't hear music over headphones)

P.S.
    My new case vibrates a little bit and causes the plastic front to rattle. Very annoying. I need to check if there is something not quite tightly screwed or similar...

Edit:
    I think i found the culprit: The upper hdd cage (the removable one) wasn't screwed in tight. Blissful silence!
    Last edited by Biernot; 2012-10-26 at 01:02 AM.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    Lol Xuvial dude, were you really considering dumping that for some DAC and mini amp and studio monitors? Shame on you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Now i am sitting with the following:

<snip>
    Image links to an album with several images

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power E9 480W 80+Gold modular
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k
    Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 3
    RAM: 2x4GB DDR3-1333 Silicon Power
    MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX
    VGA: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB OC
    DVD: LG GH-22NS90
    SSD: Crucial m4 128GB
    HDD1: 1TB WD Caviar Green
    HDD2: 2x2TB Samsung SpinPoint F4 Eco Green in Raid1

Peripherals like before, except:
    Keyboard: DasKeyboard Model S silent professional
    Headset: Plantronics GameCom 380
    Mousemat: Roccat Taito

In case you are wondering, why i swapped from Sennheiser to Plantronics: My Brother killled the Mic on my Sennheiser and i just needed a cheap headset for Vent/TS. The Plantronics is very comfortable to wear, and while the sound quality isn't on par with Sennheiser, it's perfectly fine for voice chat. (i don't hear music over headphones)

P.S.
    My new case vibrates a little bit and causes the plastic front to rattle. Very annoying. I need to check if there is something not quite tightly screwed or similar...

Edit:
    I think i found the culprit: The upper hdd cage (the removable one) wasn't screwed in tight. Blissful silence!
    You sir, get at least 9/10 from me for cable management considering how many drives you're running. I'd put all the drives in the top cage and remove the bottom cage for slightly better airflow (or the other way around if you can put that SSD somewhere). Great build ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Lol Xuvial dude, were you really considering dumping that for some DAC and mini amp and studio monitors? Shame on you
    Ouch, hammer of judgement
    FYI that exact amp sold on ebay for $19 back in 2001. As big and feature-rich as it looks, ancient tech is still ancient...borderline junk probably.
    I may still end up not using that (I won't DUMP it, but it'll gather dust in the garage) because MicroLab Solo7C's don't need any such huge amplifier, they connect directly to the laptop via 3.5mm jacks like regular speakers.

WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Click image for full size. o_o

I finally got the backplates for my cards. I immediately replaced the waterblock on the old card (which had the CSQ variant previously). However, after installing the card into the PC for some test-fitting I realized: My 1/2" ID 3/4" OD fittings are simply too fucking fat to fit on the top side of the cards! So I can't connect the cards lol.

Hopefully it'll only take a few weeks for Crystal Links to come in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You sir, get at least 9/10 from me for cable management considering how many drives you're running. I'd put all the drives in the top cage and remove the bottom cage for slightly better airflow (or the other way around if you can put that SSD somewhere). Great build ^_^
    I think, you can either remove the top one or both, but not the bottom one.
    With this case, i actually could put the SSD somewhere else: http://i.imgur.com/T9sla.jpg notice the holes below the cpu cutout, that don't quite fit the normal ATX standoff holes? They are actually spaced, so you can bolt in 2.5" drives there. But the downside is, that you have to remove the motherboard to access them, which doesn't seem worth the hassle for me.
    I am actually not really worried about airflow, because the parts i have in there are fairly low grade in terms of heat. I am more worried, that my hdds might get too hot when they are packed too tight. (currently i don't have a fan in the lower front position)

As for the cable management:
    The psu i am using is extremely convenient in that regard, as it has one cable with 4x SATA (using this for the hdds) and one with 2x SATA / 2x Molex (for dvd and the fan controller). Also the PCIe cable only has a single 6+2p connector, making it more tidy than if i had a spare hanging around (also the +2p is conveniently on the backside of the plug on the video card, with enough space that it doesn't need to get bend away). And las but not least, the case has a lot of room on the backside to stow away excess cables.
    Last edited by Biernot; 2012-10-26 at 08:29 PM.
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quick picture of the old waterblock. Not the one I'm using now though.

Is that a reference 680 waterblock, and do you still have it?

Just got rid of my GTX470 for a 680, and don't yet have a block for it.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Shall that not be the 680, just ask Drunkenvalley and he'll have one, no problem. ;P He's like a walking mini sized hardware store.

Hi guys, here is my set up

3570k, stock (had a OC nightmare with my old rig) hyper 212 cooler, eventually I'll get some balls and OC
    8g crucial ram 1333mhz
    gigabyte 7870 ghz edition
    750 antec PSU
    96 GB SSD kingston sata II (old)
    128 GB Agility 4 SSD sata III
    500 gb WD

I'm kind of a neat freak when it comes to my PC station. I wish I could have my tower on the table, but the noise annoys me.

Funny story, I originally wanted to get my first high end card, a 7950. Micro center is an hours drive and I was so excited to get that card I didn't pay attention to my gas tank, when I got there I was on E and I didn't have enough gas to get back home, so I had to get a 7870 (before the price drop, 300$ -_-) so I could have enough to full up maybe next generation

P.S. I dunno how you guys have such neat cable management, it took me 4 hours just to get it the way it is now, it was much worst!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nireyo View Post
    P.S. I dunno how you guys have such neat cable management, it took me 4 hours just to get it the way it is now, it was much worst!
    Most of the time in aftermarket cases there is an area either behind the hard drive tower or motherboard tray for cable management, you route the cables there and use extensions if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nireyo View Post
    There are a few things you need for good cable management:

Case: Your case needs to support it. Nearly all cases above $50 should have some form of cable management behind the motherboard tray, with cutouts to allow only short visible sections of the cables. See my rig: http://imgur.com/a/dHx7B#5 The trick is to let the cables disappear as fast as fossible. If they are out of sight, it doesn't matter how crooked or messy they are. Here is how my build looks from the back: http://imgur.com/a/dHx7B#10

Cable Ties: You need some form of cable ties to either bunch some together or hold them in place. You can use either zip-ties or twist-ties. Advantage of zip-ties is the strength: you can zip them tight and they stay that way (but you need to cut them open if you need to re-do the cables).

Modular Power Supply: Not a necessity, but a great help. Don't attach cables that you don't need -> less cables you need to hide.

A Plan in your Head: Think about, how you want to route the cables in advance. If your case doesn't allow for the cables to go behind the motherboard tray, then most of the time the best looking idea is, to bunch them together as a thick strand that goes up the right side of your motherboard and branch of the cables as needed. Even if your case doesn't have room behind the motherboard, most of the time the space behind the hard drive area is a good place to stow excess cables.

P.S.
    Just found a nice example: http://www.pc-pad.com/img/before-after.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post

That's a reference GTX 680 (and ergo so is the waterblock), yes. And I do indeed still have the waterblock.