Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hm dang. Hopefully we'll get 8 core lga 2011 on the desktop side. Although hoping for 8 core is probably just wishful thinking lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EllishaPally View Post
    Hm dang. Hopefully we'll get 8 core lga 2011 on the desktop side. Although hoping for 8 core is probably just wishful thinking lol
    well, the more cores you add, the lower the overclock you can get, and Ivy already has issues not being able to clock higher than Sandy

if you are running programs that prefer core count over core speed, then you could build a dual E5-2609 build for less then the cost of a single EE chip

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason ivy has a harder time or cant clock as high is due to ivy's higher temps right? Or is there some limitation on the chip? Hopefully they wont use the crap tim they used on under ivy's lid on iv-e. People have de-lidded ivy and the tim was like rubber cement. O-o

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason ivy has a harder time or cant clock as high is due to ivy's higher temps right? Or is there some limitation on the chip? Hopefully they wont use the crap tim they used on under ivy's lid on iv-e. People have de-lidded ivy and the tim was like rubber cement. O-o
    the smaller process means that gates and transistors are closer together, so its harder for heat to escape in general, the TIM did not help, but it's not the underlying cause, for the most part, the smaller you make the chip, the more concentrated the heat generation is and the harder it is to pull heat away

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have a passionate disposition for those and any closed loop coolers. Plus after being an officer of my college computer club, I would hate to be associated with the self-proclaimed geniuses... "Omg it is water cooling and way better than yours!" /sneer
    Seriously...?
    Not quite sure what you mean by a "passionate disposition" - that doesn't actually mean anything other than you feel strongly about them. Either you love them to bits or hate them a lot. Going by subsequent comments, I'm leaning towards the latter.

That's up to you. I've used them (H70 and H100) and can honestly say that they're as good as, or better than, air coolers I've used in the past couple of years. Those include the likes various CM models, Noctua's beastly offerings and a few Scythe coolers.

Air and Closed Loop coolers are both subject to the same ceiling - ambient temperature. Closed loop coolers offer lower noise, high performance and the absence of a kilogram of metal hanging off your motherboard. Air coolers are easier to install and cheaper.

I still use my custom loop, because my own machine is still X58 based (and requires more than just CPU cooling). When I upgrade, however, I'll probably be getting a 2x120 closed loop cooler - if I don't just re-use my current loop.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disposition is a negative term. Passionate disposition would mean I very much hate them. It has more to it than just silly performance though. The price is horrid. The stock fans blow. The temps are not much better than my Zalman. Did I mention it is more than DOUBLE the cost of my 9900? Also I dont like the idea of closed loop.... If I'm going to do liquid, I want to be able to take it apart, take care of it, etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    So harder to cool and higher temps. Hm, im not one for crazy oc's i'd probably only go to 4.5GHz which shouldnt be all that bad with a decent loop.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Disposition is a negative term. Passionate disposition would mean I very much hate them. It has more to it than just silly performance though. The price is horrid. The stock fans blow. The temps are not much better than my Zalman. Did I mention it is more than DOUBLE the cost of my 9900? Also I dont like the idea of closed loop.... If I'm going to do liquid, I want to be able to take it apart, take care of it, etc.
    Disposition has no negative connotations under any definition I'm aware of - indeed, being poorly disposed towards something means you have a positive inclination towards it, albeit minimal.

Yes, the stock fans generally are bad. But the recent Corsair refreshes, and ThermalTake's own closed loop coolers, have better fans - and even with those fans, they're still on par with high end air coolers. Add in a couple of $10 Scythes or Noctuas, and they're excellent.

Like SSDs once were, they're an item that offers unnecessary (but desirable) extras for a premium. Hopefully, like SSDs, they'll become more common and cheaper.

Deleted
    MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    CPU: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz
    RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 Vengeance (1600mhz)
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Ghz-Edition VAPOR-X
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB SSD
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB
    PSU: Corsair TX 750W V2
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
    Case: Fractal Design Miditower Define R4

Monitor: Achieva ShiMian QH270-lite
    Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME
    Mouse: Razer Naga.
    Keyboard: Razer Arctosa (love how it feels, but razer really need to put some effort into the build-quality)

Will edit post and post pictures tomorrow hopefully. Also got a nice tax refund recently, so i have plenty of headroom for buying additional upgrades. Not entirely sure on what though. I have this annoying squeky sound sometimes when i alt tab out and in of games which might possibly one of the fans or the PSU. Also probably going 16GB ram since i'm starting to work more in Sony Vegas recently. And obviously i'm going to need to replace the damn keyboard because razer can't build products with any kind of longevity.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Disposition has no negative connotations under any definition I'm aware of - indeed, being poorly disposed towards something means you have a positive inclination towards it, albeit minimal.

Yes, the stock fans generally are bad. But the recent Corsair refreshes, and ThermalTake's own closed loop coolers, have better fans - and even with those fans, they're still on par with high end air coolers. Add in a couple of $10 Scythes or Noctuas, and they're excellent.

Like SSDs once were, they're an item that offers unnecessary (but desirable) extras for a premium. Hopefully, like SSDs, they'll become more common and cheaper.
    I should let my old school's know they are slipping up, but dictionary.com paints it in both a positive and negative light via synonyms, but let me just use a different word: despise.

My temperatures are admirably good, for a 4.4GHz 2500K@1.36v. Idling they range from upper-mid 20s Celsius to mid 30s Celsius. Under full load they barely reach 60 Celsius. I got this cooler for $55. A 5-10 Celsius improvement on average is NOT worth $70 to me, much less $100~ if I had gotten the older H100 and then bought better fans... good Lord. Plus my cooler looks awesome.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    All in thumbnails going to imgur

New stuff, rest of the loop is in the mail

I'm not a fan of Razer, Coolermaster (or the Phantom), newer Corsair PSUs or LEDs, but you can't argue with the result.
    (on the other hand, is there anything I do like these days?)
    Well done.
    Shame about the camera's picture quality in low light and the brown SLI-bridge though.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-11-22 at 04:53 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'm not a fan of Razer, Coolermaster (or the Phantom), newer Corsair PSUs or LEDs, but you can't argue with the result.
    (on the other hand, is there anything I do like these days?)
    Well done.
    Shame about the camera's picture quality in low light and the brown SLI-bridge though.
    Thanks

yeah, iphone pics, not the best lol. I'm planning on wrapping the sli-bridge in carbon fiber soon. Got the wrap just need to get off my butt and slap it on lol.

All in thumbnails going to imgur
    I spy with my little eye, a killcoil and biocide. And pre-mixed liquid. Redundancy ahoy!

Seriously, though, you don't want to use all 3. It can (not definitely in your case, but has in others) cause problems down the line, not least of which is the particulate matter in the pre-mixed liquid breaking down/gunking up. And definitely keep an eye on the Feser coolants if you do use the coil/biocide too - I've not had a problem with Feser's stuff (aside from rapidly fading UV blue tubes), but I've heard some horror stories about their pre-mixed liquid and it turned into sludge on the blocks. Of course, those nightmare cases may be where people added a killcoil and biocide to the mix - who knows!

I had Feser One UV Blue running for almost a year without a change, and no gunking or damage inside the loop. Tiny amount of scum present in the reservoir at the end, but more than likely that was down to me and not the liquid.
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2012-11-22 at 05:46 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I spy with my little eye, a killcoil and biocide. And pre-mixed liquid. Redundancy ahoy!

Seriously, though, you don't want to use all 3. It can (not definitely in your case, but has in others) cause problems down the line, not least of which is the particulate matter in the pre-mixed liquid breaking down/gunking up. And definitely keep an eye on the Feser coolants if you do use the coil/biocide too - I've not had a problem with Feser's stuff (aside from rapidly fading UV blue tubes), but I've heard some horror stories about their pre-mixed liquid and it turned into sludge on the blocks. Of course, those nightmare cases may be where people added a killcoil and biocide to the mix - who knows!

I had Feser One UV Blue running for almost a year without a change, and no gunking or damage inside the loop. Tiny amount of scum present in the reservoir at the end, but more than likely that was down to me and not the liquid.

The biocide came wih the coolant. I wasnt aware i'd be getting it so i bought a kill coil as well lol i only plan to use the kill coil though.

Gunking can be the cause of a few things. Especially if it's a glycol based solution. If the glycol / water ratio isnt correct and has more glycol or of the two components somehow seperate and it's exposed to lots of heat it can cause it to "cook" into gunk.

Same deal in automotive cooling solutions delt with a few clogged rads in my day lol.

Flawless, I tried to send the package today, but my usage account for my bank turned out to be flat broke and I couldn't afford sending it. XD So I've fixed that and will try again tomorrow.~

As a reminder, this is not a Quick Question, Fast Answer, thread.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Corsair Hydro coolers are great for LAN machines. It takes the weight off the CPU and moves it to a spot that is secured to the case.
    I am thinking of getting a Corsair H100i to replace my H80. I am curious as to know whether the fans are better then the current fans I have installed in terms of volume and air flow. The H80 is a solid cooler and my temperatures are great even on a full load, though I am running my 2600k at stock clock speeds, 28 degrees on load isn't bad at all.

The fans are better and quieter. Not quite as good as the SP-series of Corsair, they're slightly cheapened.
    I wouldn't worry about changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post

Flawless, I tried to send the package today, but my usage account for my bank turned out to be flat broke and I couldn't afford sending it. XD So I've fixed that and will try again tomorrow.~
    No worries - did you work out how much it was? I'll send you the money when I get paid on the 28th!

What's going on with the fan there? That looks like bolts from the other side with nuts on this side? Heh. Nuts.