Remember that you need a proper CPU cooler to do any overclocking. Otherwise it looks good, now get to that cable management

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Be more prepared for Cable Management. I'll be disconnecting everything and re-doing it so it doesn't look like it does right now
    Actually most of the back of our cases look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The HAF X is terrible for cable management everywhere, but...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kSwvpYal.jpg[IMG]
    I've never understood how those Zalman Loops can actually work. From what I know of fluid dynamics that fan would need to be shrouded to effectively channel the air thru the heatsink, otherwise all the air is just going out the sides.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-02-18 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Are you referring to WoW? I imagine so, based on the website we're on... but most of us computer forum regulars quit WoW some time ago. :P We just stuck around because we love it here.

Your computer has some age left in it, but if you want to play anything more serious, I would upgrade for sure.
    Yea I meant WoW hehe ^^
    I'm pretty satisfied all in all with my PC, bought like late december 2011... maybe if I happen to find myself with some extra cash I'll look at a 7950 with a beastly aftermaret cooler on it... hehe
    Still have to figure out how much my CPU is bottlenecking in WoW ^^

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    I've never understood how those Zalman Loops can actually work. From what I know of fluid dynamics that fan would need to be shrouded to effectively channel the air thru the heatsink, otherwise all the air is just going out the sides.
    The fan is pushing the air from right to left, in that picture... what is there to not understand? O.o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

This is a picture of the rear panel cable management on my HAF X. For anyone saying cable management on the HAF X sucks, it sounds like user error to me. All my cables are run just fine and my set up includes extra cables like the optional 2nd top exhaust fan, a red LED light tube on top and 5 total drives installed. For the person with th floating SSD in their HAF X, that's user error too. The HAF X has multi-purpose drive bays and can hold up to 3 2.5" SSD drives.

Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    This is a picture of the rear panel cable management on my HAF X. For anyone saying cable management on the HAF X sucks, it sounds like user error to me. All my cables are run just fine and my set up includes extra cables like the optional 2nd top exhaust fan, a red LED light tube on top and 5 total drives installed. For the person with th floating SSD in their HAF X, that's user error too. The HAF X has multi-purpose drive bays and can hold up to 3 2.5" SSD drives.

/img
    1. Cable management on the back of the HAF X could be, sure, better, on my part, but it's a real pain.
    2. The SSD is floating in my HAF X by choice, not user-error, please don't make so many assumptions. SSDs don't need to be held in place with screws or what-not. They're solid-state technology, no moving parts, really doesn't matter where the SSD is. Technically, the HAF X can hold up to more like probably 20~ or even more SSDs...

But yeah, user-error abounds! I have just as many drives as you, a fan controller, and the extra fan. /shrug

Maybe I'll try better back-panel cable management sometime, but it doesn't matter to me as much as the other side, which you can tell is much better looking...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fan is pushing the air from right to left, in that picture... what is there to not understand? O.o
    Not really, how much do you know about fluid dynamics? Without a high static pressure created by large fan blades and a shroud, the resistance created by the heatsink would cause the air to be diverted away, I.E. towards the gapping open area. Let me photoshop your pic and show you what I mean, gimme 5 minutes.
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can tell by all the dust having been pushed onto the side of the left copper fins and by the fact I lack any heat issues, that the heatsink works. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can tell by all the dust having been pushed onto the side of the left copper fins and by the fact I lack any heat issues, that the heatsink works. :P
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just inefficient as hell.

Without a shroud the airflow wants to find the path of least resistance, a heat sink has resistance, the back pressure caused by this would cause the vast majority of the air to be flung outward by the fan blades, see below. The red arrows are airflow btw.

With a shroud the air is channeled where it needs to go, any back pressure caused by the heat sink would be overcome simply because the air has nowhere else to go, which would in turn cause the fan to push harder. That's why static pressure fans have thicker blades and less air gap between them. Image below is merely a dramatization.

Hope the visual helps.
    Last edited by at05gt; 2013-02-18 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just inefficient as hell.
    You have to take a few things into consideration when looking at that particular heatsink:
    • RPM and static pressure of the fan.
    • The shape of the rotary blades.
    • The fact that the fan is smaller than the heatsink.
    • The shape of the heatsink.

The heatsink shape makes air "trapped" within the confound space of the heatsink. It partially engulfs and creates a pocket around the fan that pushes air through it's center (think of a funnel). At the same time the rotary blades are shaped to twist the air in a tunnel, creating a whirl.

I made pictures for you:

From a physics standpoint it makes perfect sense. Some air will escape around the edges, but not any significant amount. A shroud would most likely help overall, but not make that much of a difference in the long run.

Inefficient? Well, that depends on what you compare it to. It's definitely a good cooler based on the fact that it can dissipate a fairly large amount of heat, but compared to a box-heatsink and a shrouded fan it's less efficient per cubic centimeter; size (most likely).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-02-18 at 05:40 PM.

Remember the thread-rules; don't quote images without breaking the tags.

Deleted
    Made a small album of my gaming setup, it really shows that the lens of my phone's camera is knackered.

Clickety!

Well I guess the descriptions in the album are lacking in detail, here's what's going on:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
    Mobo: MSI X58 Platinum (Crossfire version, D'oh!)
    DDR: G.Skill 3*4Gb kit
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120Gb
    GPU: Gigabyte 660 Ti WindForce SuperClocked
    Case: Antec 300
    PSU: Zalman 850W (ZM850-HP)
    Monitors: Samsung 245B (24", 1920*1200) and Acer AL 1951 (19", 1280*1024)
    TV: Some Samsung from ~2008 (46", 1920*1080)
    KB: Original Logitech G15, seen a LOT of use and it shows, still love it.
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder I bought from a friend last week.
    Audio: HDMI goes to my Yamaha RX-V765, which is connected to my locally made 5.1 speaker set with AudioPro SubFocus 10" sub and beyerdynamic 770 Pro headphones.

Laptop is a Samsung R530. It's got i3-330M, 310M, 4gigs of ram and a 500Gb HDD. Display size is 15.6" and resolution 1366*768. Battery life is 404 not found.
    Last edited by mmoc04fee285e2; 2013-02-19 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added some details!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    You have to take a few things into consideration when looking at that particular heatsink:
    • RPM and static pressure of the fan.
    • The shape of the rotary blades.
    • The fact that the fan is smaller than the heatsink.
    • The shape of the heatsink.

The heatsink shape makes air "trapped" within the confound space of the heatsink. It partially engulfs and creates a pocket around the fan that pushes air through it's center (think of a funnel). At the same time the rotary blades are shaped to twist the air in a tunnel, creating a whirl.

I made pictures for you: "SNIP"

From a physics standpoint it makes perfect sense. Some air will escape around the edges, but not any significant amount. A shroud would most likely help overall, but not make that much of a difference in the long run.

Inefficient? Well, that depends on what you compare it to. It's definitely a good cooler based on the fact that it can dissipate a fairly large amount of heat, but compared to a box-heatsink and a shrouded fan it's less efficient per cubic centimeter; size (most likely).
    That makes more sense, I wasn't aware that heat sink was domed in like that to account for back pressure.

10+ Year Old Account
    "A flower.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev.3.1
    CPU: i7-2700K @5,0 GHz
    Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
    RAM: 16GB Kingston
    GPU: Asus DirectCU II GTX 580 (DisplayPort)
    SPU: USB UGM96
    SSD (Boot): OCZ-VERTEX3 240GB
    HDD (Software): Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB
    HDD (Backup1): Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB
    HDD (Backup2-USB3.0): Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB
    Case: Lian-Li PC-7HX Silent Black

PERIPHERALS:

Monitor: Apple LED Cinema Display (24")
    Headphones (1): Sennheiser HD25
    Headphones (2): AKG K702
    Speaker: Adam A5X
    Amp (1): HiFiMAN EF5
    Amp (2): cMoyBB 2.03
    Microphone: Neumann TLM 102
    Mic Amp: Mackie 402-VLZ3
    Keyboard: Filco 10keyless custom (Cherry MX Brown)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
    Mouse-pad: Razer Goliathus

Last edited by Ange; 2013-02-19 at 10:40 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    SPECIFICATIONS:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev.3.1
    CPU: i7-2700K @5,0 GHz
    Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
    RAM: 16GB Kingston
    GPU: Asus DirectCU II GTX 580 (DisplayPort)
    SPU: USB UGM96
    SSD (Boot): OCZ-VERTEX3 240GB
    HDD (Software): Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB
    HDD (Backup1): Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB
    HDD (Backup2-USB3.0): Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 2TB
    Case: Lian-Li PC-7HX Silent Black

PERIPHERALS:

Monitor: Apple LED Cinema Display (24")
    Headphones (1): Sennheiser HD25
    Headphones (2): AKG K702
    Amp (1): HiFiMAN EF5
    Amp (2): cMoyBB 2.03
    Microphone: Neumann TLM 102
    Mic Amp: Mackie 402-VLZ3
    Keyboard: Filco 10keyless custom (Cherry MX Brown)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
    Mouse-pad: Razer Goliathus

[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9Vat2wul.jpg[/IMG]
    Aww, you've ruined the Filco
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    i think it looks cool, not exactly what i'd do, but it stands out from the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Wait till I get the missing red colored keycaps! *evilsmile*
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i think it looks cool, not exactly what i'd do, but it stands out from the crowd
    So does this http://webwit.nl/input/keycaps/colored5.jpg

Poor Model M
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    OMG You have ADAM AUDIO studio monitors!!!

/drools intensely

Adam Audio monitors are the speakers of my dreams. Got to hear the A7Xs at my local Sam Ash a while back and good lord, just absolutely beautiful! Plus they are so damn aesthetically pleasing to the eye and really accent dark surroundings. Gahhhhh
    "A flower.