Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    There's actually one 120 exhaust on the roof (in the pic it's disguised in the shadows). I figured it'd be better to have 2x140 intakes and one 120 exhaust+PSU. There's a lot of holes in the side panel, roof and back so the hot air should exhaust naturally by the positive pressure.
    Ahh, I see it now. It's reflecting some of the mesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Who exactly are you responding to now?
    Me, I guess.

There's a reason the RAM and CPU are oriented the way they are on a motherboard and happen to line up with the rear exhaust mount on a case. GPU aside, that's where all the heat is. It's better to pull cool air across those components and out the back of the case than to let the hot air around them naturally find its way out, heating up other components along the way.

An exhaust fan in close proximity to those components is a must. People switched to positive pressure set-ups to control dust build up.

A turbine engine is a terrible comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    .jet engines is nothing but a massive intake fan that gets massively pressured out the other end, the turbine on the rear bit is just to get it started from igniting the fuel.
    and yes, i just compared a turbine engine to a case, enclosed area, with a fan at the front, and lets not go into aerodynamics...
    Kinda offtopic, I do not see the analogy you're trying to describe, and that's not how a jet egine works. You're describing some sort of turbojet/turbofan hybrid, which does not really exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    not really gaming per say, but i did get a new case for my raspberry:

still haven't found a use for it, any kind of server function i can host on ESX, it doesn't really have the cpu power for a HTPC (but i can power it with my tv's usb port)

meaning its a nice cheap unix box that i can browse the web with (which i already have several PCs for) i have thought about using it as a high logic fan controller though, or maybe a networked home HVAC PLC controller

Cyan, where did you pick that case up at? I've had mine for awhile now and I just made my case from legos I had sitting around Also I ended up using mine for browsing and netflix for a bit but I'm trying to make it a controller for a little robotic arm I'm designing currently.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    CPU : Intel i73770K @ 4.2Ghz
    Case : Fractal Design Define XL R2
    CPU cooler : Corsair H100i
    GPU : Gainward Geforce GTX 770
    Motherboard : MSI Z77A-GD65
    Memory : Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600Mhz DDR3 16GB
    SSD : Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB
    HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
    Sound Card (getting it today) : ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo
    PSU : Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
    Keyboard : Raxer Anansi
    Mouse : Razer Naga

http://imgur.com/2zGmVKG
    http://imgur.com/VXX9qoY
    http://imgur.com/K0zgaXS
    Last edited by Dual; 2013-08-12 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Photos

Deleted
    No pics, Dual? We see plenty of builds in text daily

Nothing wrong with text-builds! Pictures are nice, for sure. But I'm not saying no thanks to text!

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought actually showing your setup was sort of the point behind this topic.

To a degree. But there's no separate "List your gaming setup", and this here also acts as a databank. To show what people proud/interested enough game with.
    I don't see a problem with it.
    Pictures are more exciting, and this is true. But if I only had to have one, I'd have the text. Luckily, we don't have to make that trade!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no pics (yet)

Will see if I can get some edited in later

Still really new to building and thought I'd start joining in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    Will see if I can get some edited in later
    Still really new to building and thought I'd start joining in somewhere.
    Absolutely! I'd rather we be more inclusive than exclusionist.
    And don't be afraid not to "live up" to standards, we're happy to just see anything.
    And if nothing else, you'd get tonnes of good feedback.

Deleted
    No pics because my case is pretty bad for proper cable management ;(
    I've had some bad luck when i built this build a year & half ago (static shock blew out the mobo & psu (same mobo, different psu than whats on now)) so i've been a little afraid to exchange the whole case again unless it's really neccesary.

CPU : Intel i5 2500k @ 4.0Ghz
    Case : Antec Nine Hundred (v1)
    CPU cooler : Mugen 2 Rev. B
    GPU : MSI Twin Frozor GTX 780 3GBDDR5/OC
    Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth P67
    Memory : Corsair Vengeance 8GB@1600
    SSD : OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
    HDD : WD 1.5TB Internal, WD Book 3TB External
    Sound Card : Asus DG
    Headset : Sennheiser 598
    PSU : Corsair AX750
    Keyboard : Logitech Illuminated (never been a fan of regular key-keyboards, prefer the laptop'ish keys)
    Mouse : Razer Mamba (v1)
    Monitor : LG 29EA93P Ultra-wide 21:9

Only recently switched monitors & upgraded the GPU, felt like the CPU & motherboard was still fine for a single-GPU build without bottlenecking (hopefully )

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish they'd start using the term "bottlenecking" in regard to a certain type of game/application, because it's pointless out-of-context.

Current PC:
    NZXT H2 Midi Tower White Corsair CX 500W PSU

ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze , Standard. 2x 6+2pin

AMD FX-8320 8-Core Processor Socket-AM3+, 3.5Ghz, 125W, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3 Cache,

Corsair H55 Hydro Series CPU Cooler Socket 1155/1156/1366/2011, AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1, 170

ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+ ATX, 970+SB950, DDR3, 2xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, SATA 6Gb

Kingston DDR3 HyperX PnP 1866MHz 8GB Kit w/two HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL11-11-11-30

XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, "Dual Fan -DD", DL-DVI-I + SL-DVI

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB SATA, DVD±R: 24x, DVD±R DL: 8x, CD-R: 48x, Bulk, B

Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB BULK

WD RE4 Enterprise 1TB SATA2, 1,2 million Hours MTBF, 7200RPM, 64MB, 3.

As for the Gear:
    Razer Naga mouse
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Razer Tiamat headset
    Benq XL2411 120hz screen
    Sandstrom Speaker system

Mostly used for:
    Battlefield 3
    World of Warcraft
    CS:GO
    Skyrim
    Minecraft

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, added pics to my original post on the previous page for those interested

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    Alright, added pics to my original post on the previous page for those interested
    Your H100i has its fans configured as intakes. You'll probably want to reverse them.
    /shrug

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was pondering about that, actually. But being new to it all, I went with the suggestion in the manual...

Deleted
    Greetings, I've asked for help on this forum enough times in the last few months that I figured I was overdue for attempting to contribute something here (might be good for a laugh if nothing else)(and as a side note I would just like to take a second to thank chazus and Toffie for their help).

I'll start off by pointing out what should become clear from looking at my setup, quite a bit of this is improvised.
    First pics, the computer itself.

Yea, kind of a sorry sight. This was a "back to school" pre-built from about four years ago. It has not aged well, but it performed quite well for the price while it lasted. I swaped out the video card it came with (I think it was a ATI/AMD 5450) with a HD 6850, added a samsung 840 256gb SSD and a HDD I pulled out of an external case (since that pic was taken I swapped out that drive for a WD Blue 1TB). The CPU is a AMD Phemom X4 9650 and has 4GB of RAM.

It is starting to struggle quite a bit with CPU bound games such as WOW and Planetside 2 (Raid finder frequently drops to 3 FPS or less. Runs well enough during 10 man raids for the time being.)

My chair, I like this chair, Think I will be using it for quite some time to come.

My desk (not as good as the chair :P )

Keyboard is a Microsoft sidewinder X4
    Mouse is a Gigabyte M6800
    There is a pair of 2.0 speakers in the mess behind the monitors, not great, but good enough.

A shot of everything together.

I use the bedside locker in front of the mouse pad to rest my arm while playing, helps to compensate for the keyboard/mouse tray.

Gratuitous monitor shots......

Turned off all addons for this shot, normal UI was a mess like this.

Monitors are: Dell 20" 1600x900, Medion 19" 1440x900 and Hanns-g 18.5" 1366x768
    I use eyefinity only in some games (not WOW only took that shot to test it), it downscales in eyefinity to 4080x768, it works well enough to enjoy it, but there is plenty for room for improvement. To that end I picked up another 1440x900 monitor off ebay for a little under 60 euro to even things out, but this happened in shipping...........

I got a full refund.

I have been working on upgrading for the past few months and I was going to wait to post this until I was done, but it is taking a lot longer than expected for reasons I will get to shortly. These are the parts I have so far(plus the WD blue 1TB I mentioned earlier)

The obvious missing links here are the GPU(I am going to keep using the 6850 for the time being) and the motherboard....... around the time of the Haswell launch ASUS held a promotional live stream for their line of Z87 boards. During this live stream they gave away several boards. My name (well, username) got called out for a Z87 Sabertooth, this is what is holding up my upgrade. I have been assured that it is still coming so I can't really complain about a free motherboard (even if it is taking a while).

Down the line I also plan to upgrade my monitors to 3x1080p, a GPU upgrade (maybe a gtx 770 or one of the AMD cards they are rumored to be announcing in September) and a better desk.

Sorry if this is a bit long, just figured more detail was probably better.
    Last edited by mmoccbc7db64cc; 2013-08-12 at 04:04 PM.

No, no. Not at all too long. It was quite an enjoyable read and adventure in your upgrade history. Apart from the cracked monitor of course.

A picture of the internals: http://i.imgur.com/Tdp9NfY.jpg

• Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz (http://valid.canardpc.com/2887777)
    • Gigabyte G1. Sniper 5 Motherboard
    • nVidia GTX 780 stock
    • Kingston HyperX 3K, 480GB (Took on your old advice, tetris! Thanks as always)
    • Corsair Vengeance RAM 16GB (8x2), 1600Mhz
    • Corsair H90 Cooler
    • Corsair HX V2, 850W
    • Cooler Master Storm Trooper chassis
    • Windows 8

What I think briefly about the G1 Sniper 5:

1. Looks awesome
    2. UEFI looks absolutely gorgeous and very easy to navigate through
    3. Built-in sound solution is surprisingly good, at least for me, using the PC 363D (jacks)
    4. Software utilities are very well done and are very useful. Although I haven't used their EasyTune feature yet

Things I ordered and will be receiving by the end of the week:

1. Sleeved cables for the HX PSU
    2. Windowed side panel for the Trooper
    3. Lighting strips from NZXT (White)

Sorry about the included picture as it doesn't show that much of the build. I promise I'll be including much better pictures once the ordered stuff is here.
    Last edited by Static; 2013-08-12 at 06:00 PM.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"