Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    That's my plan. And thanks for the youtube link of that 1440p monitor. May just have to get that one.

I still think my system is shitty though, only an i5 in it
    An i7 won't really do anything for you in like 90% of the games you play. It's really only relevant if you stream high end, render videos a lot, 3D modeling etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Setup that currently exists at home:
    CPU: i5-2320
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master X6
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600mhz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    PSU: 600w Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
    SSD: 120GB Kingston SSD
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2012 (blue leds)
    Mouse: Razer Naga Epic
    Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1

But you guys already knew that from seeing my post back in early July (around July 8) in this thread. I'm currently in New York and I picked up some UPGRADES!!111!

No pics until I'm back home and have time to set it together (I'd imagine around mid-september) but here's what I bought so far!

1. Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard, the black one
    2. 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
    3. i7-3770K
    4. Corsair H100i
    5. Corsair TX750M
    6. Corsair white pre-sleeved modular cables
    7. IC Diamond 7 thermal paste

Upgrades I plan to do when I'm back home:
    1. Upgrade motherboard to Z77 MSI MPower
    2. Get second GTX 760 for SLI
    3. Upgrade from Razer Naga Epic to Razer Naga 2014 (mechanical)

Then, I will buy 2x4GB RAM, a 1TB HDD (WD Black or Seagate Barracuda) and a case. With this, I will reuse spare parts for a second build which I will leave around the house or give to my brother (or maybe even sell?)
    The specs of the second system atm seem to be (every single part below with the exception of the RAM, HDD, and case are reused parts):
    CPU: i5-2320
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master X6
    Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H
    RAM: 2x4GB
    GPU: NVIDIA 1GB GT545 [OEM]
    PSU: 600w Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular
    Case: Undecided
    Storage: 1TB HDD
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2012
    Mouse: Razer Naga Epic + Razer Deathadder + Razer Ouroboros
    Audio: Razer Megalodon

(I have the peripherals sitting around already, unused)

10+ Year Old Account
    Synthaxx regarding the GPU's: are you planning to OC? If so, will you be doing it under water?

If noise is so important to you how come you're not going custom loop?
    Also, have you considered Ivy-E?

Also, why limit yourself to H100i in a 900D? H110 should fit, no?

P.S.: Any comments you can make on my post (right above yours) would be appreciated

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Synthaxx

I still maintain that if you want some speed and storage, one is better off with the Seagate Momentus XT drives over standard mechanical drives. I get around 150 MB/s read speeds off that on SATA3 while my 1.5TB does less then half that and it was a higher end drive when I bought it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    @Synthaxx

I still maintain that if you want some speed and storage, one is better off with the Seagate Momentus XT drives over standard mechanical drives. I get around 150 MB/s read speeds off that on SATA3 while my 1.5TB does less then half that and it was a higher end drive when I bought it.
    my WD C-Blacks get about the same speeds without SSD caching, which really makes me wonder if hybrid drives are worth it at all considering how much cheaper SSDs are now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I decided Ivy-E wasn't interesting enough to justify upgrading - I blew the cash for that on a pair of 840 evo 1tb disks today (ordered from amazon, haven't shipped). I have a feeling that this will go about as well as the crucial 960gb drive launch (not generally available until several months after a paper launch). There's a store near my home selling the 750gb version but haven't listed the larger one yet, nor have newegg/ncix. 2 SSDs the last upgrades until the 8-core Haswell-E/DDR4 configurations become available.

I may also have my hands on a Tesla k20x. The compute-node at work is getting replaced and I didn't get shut down when I asked if I could buy one of the GPUs for "$1000 or something" to use at home…here's hoping.
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)
    If one has the money, getting completely off of mechanical hard drives is starting to become a viable, though expensive, venture.

No HDD spinning noise, less vibration in the case, especially for people with several drives, fast recording of unrendered video, faster possible rendering times then, too.

Just gotta think out of the box, no one is saying it's a cheap thing that everyone should do, though. :P

Even if I had the money, I don't think I'm ready to jump to all SSDs, but SSDs won't fail from power failures like HDDs will. Remember when my computer had power issues back in April and my hard drives died?

All except my SSD... and DVD drive. XD SSDs can gain and lose power in rapid succession with no real damage, mechanical hard drives, obviously, cannot.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    my games HDD has 787GB in use, and the main games i play are on my SSD, its quite easy to use up lots of space when you install your entire steam library

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so I ran into money issues and had to downgrade the 780 to a 770, I still have a 1440p monitor coming though. I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues with it since I have a 770 now instead of a 780. The 770 is still a solid card and even more so when I can SLI it correct?

This is not a thread to ask for upgrades or questions like that. I suggest a thread of your own.

@Synthaxx

Go for a case like the TJ11 especially if you plan to do multi gpu setups. The 900D has just poor airflow as you see in this review where the TJ11 massively outperforms the 900D. You can install a Swiftech H220 or H320 (recently released) in the bottom of that case or a h80i. I'd go with a H320 definitely and the PWM pump is a major reason why.

With your 620W you can easily quad sli 690's, the board power limit is set to 170W. Nvidia would likely optimize the power consumption again with a 790.

That Blue Snowball Mic is $60 shipped @ woot. It was featured a few pages back. LINK

Deleted
    text
    Question tho, why not go with the crucial M500?

Over here it is about 20 euros cheaper, and from what I have been reading it has power safe capacitors. The chances your PC/SSD will fall out due to a power outage are probably slim. But when talking about a 1TB ssd I would probably go for the crucial.
    Unless the crucial is that much more expensive or not readily available

I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    make your own thread with more info, you'll get help there

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I too will advise you to make your own thread, as more people will see your question then and reply. However, you could get almost any GPU on the market without having to upgrade the PSU, other than a GTX 690, AMD HD 7990, and probably a GTX Titan, 780 you could probably manage, just don't do any intense overclocking and you'll be good. Other than that, you should be fully capable.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I tried. As soon as I found stores accepting orders I started trying to buy them. After having 4 different stores over 6 weeks placing orders on "back order", "sold out", or "shipping June 15, err 24, er July 3, err…" I just gave up. At stores I normally order from (ncix/newegg/memory express/etc) they were constantly listed as 'sold out', 'back order', or 'avilable soon'. Eventually I just gave up and decided to wait for some alternative. The shitty launch turned me off Crucial as a brand.

You can easily find smaller capacity drives (250/500gb are common) but the 1 TB disks are apparently very scarce. There's a store near my house that actually has the 750gb 840 but haven't put up the 1TB version. To be honest, I'm not convinced amazon will be better this time around: my expected shipping date is Aug 26 but I'm giving them until Sept 1 to ship before I just give up and wait for them to show up in local shops.
    Yeah, I figured it had to do with that. I just did a quick look around for the 1 TB drives (m500/840 EVO) and both seem to be in stock in just about every store. Either they arent that popular over here, or we just got more of them :P

I have been following this thread for a wile now, figure its about time to post my set up seeing as i just got me a new monitor stand.

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912
    CPU - i5 3570k 4.5GHz@1.2v
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master hyper 212
    Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V
    GPU - Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x
    RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) @2133
    SSD 1 - OCZ vertex 4 128GB (boot drive)
    SSD 2 - OCZ agility 3 240GB
    HDD - WD red 1TB
    PSU - SeaSonic 750w x-series 80+ gold
    fans - 2x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition (on CPU cooler)
    2x Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition (back exhaust and side panel intake)
    2x BitFenix Spectre LED Orange 200mm (front intake and top exhaust, originally wanted an orange theme but i scraped that)

Peripherals
    Monitor 1 - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS 23"
    Monitor 2 - SAMSUNG S24B30BL 23.6"
    Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K60 (I want the K70 black so bad but I cant rationalize paying that much for such a small upgrade)
    Mouse - Logitech G9x Call of Duty: MW3 Edition (so much cheaper than the normal one. I'm about ready to paint over the logo)
    Headset - Logitech G930
    Speakers - Monoprice 6 1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers
    Sub - Monoprice 8" 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer
    Amp - Lepai LP-2020A+

My future plans for upgrades are a new CPU cooler, most likely an H100i or something around there and a new chair! Other than those two things I'm really happy with this build. It was my first "gaming" computer and self build, built around 7/20/12 with a few upgrades what you now see. Maybe a second 7950 later down the road for Xfire.

Ok ok, enough with the text. Here is what you really want, PICS!
    (sorry they aren't that great of quality)
    http://imgur.com/a/L34kv#0
    Last edited by Ethan191; 2013-08-25 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great looking setup Ethan, though the interior of the case makes me puke inside alittle :/
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Great looking setup Ethan, though the interior of the case makes me puke inside alittle :/
    What...? He's done a great job of cable management, that's about as good as it can get with a HAF912.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze