Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Jevlin - Haswell runs hotter than Ivy and since Intel decided not to use fluxless solder like with Sandy, instead they use TIM, temps are extremely hot. Only way to get better temps is to delid. Don't bother RMA'ing the CPU. More info here : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...p-Post-Results
    Yeah, I'm not that keen on the idea of deliding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Nah, his is also caused by a pretty awful batch. I'm getting ~32-35 °C idle on a silver arrow extreme at 4.5 (1.28V because sigh).
    I've read on forums that most people have problems with idle temps on their haswells. Anyway, after running a stresstest on prime95 for about 30 minutes I'm not going over 53c on either core so doesn't seem so bad to be honest. In fact it's great.

Gonna have it run for another hour or two just to be sure though.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

Nah, his is also caused by a pretty awful batch. I'm getting ~32-35 °C idle on a silver arrow extreme at 4.5 (1.28V because sigh).
    its also caused by the die shrink, smaller physical area means less area to transfer heat, also, the tighter lithography means that radiant heat between gates and traces is much more concentrated

this will continue to be a growing issue with all future chips, its not just an ivy/haswell problem

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Well today was an eventful day! I decided to finally get around to doing my side panel mod after having had the materials for it for almost a year now! It turned out pretty good imo! Two issues that I ran into; The lip where the case latches caused trouble as I forgot to measure exactly how much to move in which resulted in me cutting about 1/16th of an inch too far on the panel. The second problem was that while trying to remove the window to move it over I had used way too much tape. It took two of us pulling to get the panel separated because I left enough acrylic on the inside so that if I ever wanted to expand the window to the HDD bays I could. I went crazy and use about half a roll of #4010 3m tape. This resulted in us warping the panel almost all the way down the angle of the window. We were able to bend it back for the most part without it being very noticeable. There's a bit of shadow in the upper right corner, but I'm deciding if I want to leave it as is or cut up the other panel that I have. I had two left side panels from when NZXT shipped me a replacement for the right side panel. Most likely I'll cut up the other panel tomorrow and measure a bit more carefully so that it's 100%! I'll definitely post some more pictures later this week when I get my second 7950 and my NZXT Hue! But in other news I've finally got some decent pics of my gaming setup!

Specs:
    CPU: I5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Cooler: Antek branded 120 CLC
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
    Ram: G Skill 1600 Mhz
    PSU: Corsair TX850
    CPU: Gigabyte 7950 @ 1100/1400
    SDD: OCZ Agility 3 120 Gb
    HDD: WD Black 1 Tb
    Last edited by Shiromar; 2013-09-08 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Err that's pretty normal, my i5 2500K idles around that with an H100. Corsair's Hydro coolers don't do particularly well when it comes to idle temps, it's load temps where they take the lead - it's load temps that matter.
    Check load temps with P95, overclock accordingly, you can let Haswell run well into the high 80's for comfortable everyday usage.

Also can't your 200mm top exhaust be moved further towards the front of the case? I can see it's job is to vent out the H80i's intake air, but in that position most of the H80i's air will be flowing completely past it.

Sucks about the rest of the stuff not coming together though
    What is your clock rating? My 2600K idles at 28-32 at stock speed and pushes 40 degrees when overclocked to around 4.2 GHz on a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 cooler.

That's because it's watercooling. It always has a higher idle temperature, but a lower temperaturegain when on load. I also have 32-35 degrees, even after a delid, but my temperatures only go up to 48-50 during prime95. (stock speeds).

Scarab Lord
    Temps during load turned out fine actually(59c at 4.1Ghz and 1.150v). Unfortunately I only got the processor up to [email protected] before BSOD and other strangeness. Can't for the life of me get it to run at 4.2Ghz even at 1.3v, I don't dare go higher on closed-loop water.

Guess I lost the lottery, pretty damn hard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Temps during load turned out fine actually(59c at 4.1Ghz and 1.150v. Unfortunately I only got the processor up to [email protected] before BSOD and other strangeness. Can't for the life of me get it to run at 4.2Ghz even at 1.3v, I don't dare go higher on closed-loop water.

Guess I lost the lottery, pretty damn hard as well.
    Have you actually increased VRIN (CPU input voltage) to 2.0 before attempting to raise the voltage up to 1.3? That helps a greta deal with stability and you might be able to push some more out of a chip that seems pretty damn awful.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

I've been lurking this thread for quite a while and am curious how you get the cooler to cool when a CPU is delidded. Isn't there a gap between the base of the cooler and the top of the CPU?

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I've been lurking this thread for quite a while and am curious how you get the cooler to cool when a CPU is delidded. Isn't there a gap between the base of the cooler and the top of the CPU?
    You delid, brush off intel's TIM, use some liquid metal TIM, paste the CPU back together and then use the cooler. I don't know of anyone that did nude-CPU cooling yet.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Scarab Lord
    Have you actually increased VRIN (CPU input voltage) to 2.0 before attempting to raise the voltage up to 1.3? That helps a greta deal with stability and you might be able to push some more out of a chip that seems pretty damn awful.
    I did not. I'm following a guide and they did not mention that. Yes, I'm that new to this :>

You delid, brush off intel's TIM, use some liquid metal TIM, paste the CPU back together and then use the cooler. I don't know of anyone that did nude-CPU cooling yet.
    Ahhh thank you. Looking to start OC'ing here soon, but just need to find the time.

I did not. I'm following a guide and they did not mention that. Yes, I'm that new to this :>
    I highly suggest following this great guide. While it is tailored to Gigabyte boards, it explains a great deal of the basics and it will help you figure out things on your MSI board as well.

Scarab Lord
    I highly suggest following this great guide. While it is tailored to Gigabyte boards, it explains a great deal of the basics and it will help you figure out things on your MSI board as well.
    Thanks! It seems more in-depth than the guide I found on Linustechtips. I'll read up on it right away.

Thanks! It seems more in-depth than the guide I found on Linustechtips. I'll read up on it right away.
    Let us know how it goes!

This is my first build ever, what a great experience!

4770k- OC to 4.1 stable
    Noctua D-14
    16G corsair vengeance
    Asus Hero Maximus Mobo
    Asus 7970 GPU
    Cooler Master Haf Blue
    Asus DVD/CD
    2TB WD black HD
    Logitech game pad/MMO mouse
    Razor anas- keyboard

Scarab Lord
    So much is happening in your pictures. Cutest dog, dirtiest keyboard I've ever seen and then an amazing computer. I love it!

Although you could resize those pics a bit or link them

- - - Updated - - -

Yea sorry about that went through and resized them. Couple thoughts on the build. Noctua D-14 and corsair vengeance don't go well together, the cooler barely fits. Should have just got the H100i system. Asus AI suite 3 Overclocked my Haswell to 4.6 then locked up the motherboard, I would not recommend using that software. My Temps never go over 115 degrees F and im at 4.1 stable now and leaving it. ROG ramdisk is pretty nice if you put your WTF files on it, you basically get instant load times in game. I decided to go with a 42 inch 1080p TV over a gaming monitor, and holy crap you wont ever go back if you do this, the quality is still there. That's about it, hope you guys enjoyed.

Scarab Lord
    Let us know how it goes!
    I'm running [email protected] at the moment and it seems stable. Only been running AIDA64 for about 4 hours so far but it's looking good, contemplating if P95 for 12 hours would be wise as well but I really don't like the ways P95 pressure my computer and the noises it makes it do. I swear the fans are running at close to 2800RPM during P95, it's not okay when your fans only are supposed to do 2700RPM. Although my h80i seems to be overcompensating because it doesn't get super hot. During 100% load I only average about 63-65°c.

Didn't have to touch VRIN though. Trick was to enable XMP for my ram and clock them at 1600Mhz and increase their voltage to 1.5 and that allowed me to reach up to 4.7Ghz. But I'm not sure I'm willing to go above 4.5Ghz since I fear that bumping up voltage to 1.3 for extended periods might cause the already overachieving h80i to implode into itself due to it's RPM creating a black hole.

I think 4.5Ghz is a good everyday clock so probably gonna stay here.

Didn't have to touch VRIN though. Trick was to enable XMP for my ram and clock them at 1600Mhz and increase their voltage to 1.5 and that allowed me to reach up to 4.7Ghz. But I'm not sure I'm willing to go above 4.5Ghz since I fear that bumping up voltage to 1.3 for extended periods might cause the already overachieving h80i to implode into itself due to it's RPM creating a black hole.

I think 4.5Ghz is a good everyday clock so probably gonna stay here.
    I'm assuming your fans are auto adjusting their speed based on heat seeing the high rpm noise is only a problem at load/prime95. I mean you will never hit that kind of extended stress on your cpu outside of p95. So the noise shouldn't be a problem? I personally don't really give a shit about my comp but I run a 3770k oc'd to 4.8 at 1.29v. And on top of it I crank my fans down to near silent rpms during casual use/idle as 40-45c idle temps don't bother me. Even at load I run the two h80i fans at like 55-70%. Gaming (BF3) I don't go above 60, but p95 takes me into the mid 70s which I'm also fine with. Beats having to listen to a jet all day.

Just updated my build quite a bit inside an Arc Midi R2. Still have work to do with cable management, and should be getting a white LED lighting kit in as well. Ignore my cat scratched furniture. :P

i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics