The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally do not mind the color either. The color is very warm and unique to Noctua.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't really dislike the look of Noctua fans, but I really have trouble getting them to mix well with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    iirc those were for industrial customers only, and at the time of announcement, noctua had no plans to release them to consumers
    What the hell, what's the benefit for industrial customers to get black fans instead of brown'ish?

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    What the hell, what's the benefit for industrial customers to get black fans instead of brown'ish?
    The "industrial fans" run at over 2000 RPM, are made of a specially tough plastic and are designed for longevity and high airflow over everything else. At least that is what the Noctua rep said in the interview with Linus at CES (or maybe Computex) last year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    for a company that makes very good computer fans, why make black fans that look like every thing else that other manufacturers make ?

industrial fans dont get show cased, consumer systems do, and the current colour scheme they use, well people will know, this awesome rig uses noctua straight away even when operational, think people are missing this so much, they dont care about what you think the system looks, they care for people knowing that you are using it, its brand recognition

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Comparing the specs to Noctua NFS-12B it is a bit of a letdown, lower CFM, same static pressure at a tiny bit louder noise, even a much cheaper fan like Enermax T.B Silence has the same CFM and noise but a bit better static pressure for half the price.
    Nice alternatives. He says he doesn't like the color scheme of Noctua fans, so I offered up the NB's. I really don't understand what the cat fight about bearings is. Does it spin? Is it near silent? does it have a MTBF of 100k+ hours? Does it push 40+CFM? then whats the real diff? I can see higher CFM's appealing to those who are running air cooling (Such as the gent that I quoted), but unless you are running a single, 80+MM rad to cool 5+ waterblocks, you don't need a windstorm in your case.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, my console gaming setup got upgraded. (55 inch yay)

Lights up at night. It was a bitch installing those lights. Bonus IM3 Piano Kill. Shitty iPhone 5 Cam.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-01-21 at 01:12 PM.

That.. is ..s quite simply .. badass, sir. /Kudos. I srsly dig it, both the concept, and the actual use of it. Shame I suck at anything to do with code.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    Nice alternatives. He says he doesn't like the color scheme of Noctua fans, so I offered up the NB's. I really don't understand what the cat fight about bearings is. Does it spin? Is it near silent? does it have a MTBF of 100k+ hours? Does it push 40+CFM? then whats the real diff? I can see higher CFM's appealing to those who are running air cooling (Such as the gent that I quoted), but unless you are running a single, 80+MM rad to cool 5+ waterblocks, you don't need a windstorm in your case.
    Kind of moot. The only reason to use noctua fans is because they are silent and move a lot of air, and, are considered one of the best at that. There's a ton of random fans that have better colour scheme but don't either have the performance nor silence to really be an alternative for the noctuas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Kind of moot. The only reason to use noctua fans is because they are silent and move a lot of air, and, are considered one of the best at that. There's a ton of random fans that have better colour scheme but don't either have the performance nor silence to really be an alternative for the noctuas.
    I feel this is a bit too generalised. "the only reason"? Hardly. They're also the best looking fans on the market with a very good colour scheme, performance, longevity as well as coming with industry leading packaging and accessories. Liking the colourscheme or not, no one has to. But it's far better than yet another tacky "red and black everything!!". I like be quiet! a lot as well, but wouldn't use the because of the mounting system.

15+ Year Old Account

Colors and Form Threads appear to be a hot combination I see.

Found a nice Fan available in 120/140mm
    that matches my color scheme quite well:

I'm soo going to peel off that sticker before installation.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Now THAT is what I call a neat idea :°

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I feel this is a bit too generalised. "the only reason"? Hardly. They're also the best looking fans on the market with a very good colour scheme, performance, longevity as well as coming with industry leading packaging and accessories. Liking the colourscheme or not, no one has to. But it's far better than yet another tacky "red and black everything!!". I like be quiet! a lot as well, but wouldn't use the because of the mounting system.
    i think red/black is quickly becoming the new UV/Acrylic, in 2005 nothing was cooler than a full transparent case and UV everything, now its considered tacky, same thing with massive cases, i think people are moving towards a no wasted space and mature/refined look with less color flash

i think red/black is quickly becoming the new UV/Acrylic, in 2005 nothing was cooler than a full transparent case and UV everything, now its considered tacky, same thing with massive cases, i think people are moving towards a no wasted space and mature/refined look with less color flash
    I welcome this change. I've always preferred cases with simple aesthetics and great functionality over "flashy" cases with lots of plastic and LEDs, but little-to-no functionality.

10+ Year Old Account
    transparent case and UV everything
    Oh god, guilty!

Does that make me a pioneer then?

I'm actually doing an experiment this weekend with red lighting. I usually try to stay away from red specifically. It tends to be way too overpowering, lighting wise. Once all my stuff gets here (Friday, I hope) I will have some pix to share.
    I'm going with red and black this go'round for 2 reasons: 1.) it is the color scheme of my music project (my comp is also my DAW), and 2.) the system is an AMD build (SHUUUUUNNNNN!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    and 2.) the system is an AMD build (SHUUUUUNNNNN!)
    way back in time AMD's color was green

Deleted
    I use a Corsair Carbide Air 540 with PURPLE lighting. It. Is. Beautiful.

way back in time AMD's color was green
    Still is

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    While the end-user software for these lights is pretty fucking terrible, the API is well documented, easy to use, and simple to program using pretty much any language because there are plenty of pre-rolled classes to handle it. I wrote one for Ruby when experimenting but my demo app on the Windows PC is C#. If anybody has a set of Hue lights and wants to help experiment, give a shout and I'll share code. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with them, and yeah it's pointless but still, it's kind of cool that you can actually do this sort of thing if you want to.
    That's interesting. Makes me want to get a set and just play around with them.