Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a Cooler Master V650S. Is it any good?

Also, Corsair Dominator Platinum - any good? I'm thinking of buying 16 GB 1866 MHz.

Edit: Reason I'm asking here is that it's surprisingly hard to find proper reviews of the PSU.
    It's made by Enhance by the way, here's a review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C...VSM750/11.html

For the price of a v650s you're better off with the evga 750 G2 that has a semi-passive fan mode, is fully modular and is overall much better built along with better electrical performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    SeaSonic or GTFO! Seriously, don't waste your money on meh products.
    No point getting Seasonic these days over a Super Flower unit unless its cheaper, you aren't getting a PSU from Seasonic for the price of the 750 G2 with that build quality/performance/semi-passive fan.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    For the price of a v650s you're better off with the evga 750 G2 that has a semi-passive fan mode, is fully modular and is overall much better built along with better electrical performance.
    I had that unit, twice, and had major problems with both units. I ended up getting a full refund and buying a corsair PSU instead. The coil whine on both of them was loud enough to hear even with my headset on, and 1 of them had sparks inside, major hazards..

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    I had that unit, twice, and had major problems with both units. I ended up getting a full refund and buying a corsair PSU instead. The coil whine on both of them was loud enough to hear even with my headset on, and 1 of them had sparks inside, major hazards..
    Which PSU?
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Some small additions for my pc setup:

1M Green led strip with a 50cm cable that plugs into USB
    http://i.imgur.com/DKvfInu.jpg

And a custom braided&Coiled usb cable for my keyboard (the colours are bit off since my room isn't really optimal place to take pictures)
    http://i.imgur.com/211GazX.jpg

Both products were ordered and custom made by http://pexonpcs.co.uk/

Also station as a whole with specs and everything http://imgur.com/a/WKEO8
    Last edited by voryon; 2014-08-27 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added image album

Deleted

Woo.

Deleted
    whats the specs on that view ?

Next round of parts picked up. Now I have to wait for water cooling parts from the US.

i7 4790k
    z97 hero
    32gb corsair vengence pro 2133
    xspc D5 photon 270 pump/res combo

What's the difference between a basic z97 mobo and some of the more high end ones?

The basic motherboard is supposed to be a weaker overclocker usually, typically requiring higher voltage and the likes, and as you go higher-end it's supposed to scale. That said, once you're somewhere in the middle of the pack any gains have pretty much vanished usually.

Beyond that it's mostly feature based. There's a point where they drop off much of the legacy features, and as you go up in price you start seeing M.2, the occasional PLX chip (for giving more than two cards in 16x slots enough PCIe lanes), Wifi, gimmicks like the plastic cover on the Sabertooth, the (rather unnecessary but cool looking) metal backplate on the Maximus VII, etc.

That said, decide what you want from the board. You'll probably find boards fulfilling your needs in the middle of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    What's the difference between a basic z97 mobo and some of the more high end ones?
    Features. Basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    The basic motherboard is supposed to be a weaker overclocker usually, typically requiring higher voltage and the likes, and as you go higher-end it's supposed to scale. That said, once you're somewhere in the middle of the pack any gains have pretty much vanished usually.
    In theory, yes. But even that is only features. The VRM is moved onto the chip itself, so there's not much differences, if at all, in voltage. The cheapest AsRock z97 and the most blinged ASUS ROG board overclocks basically the same.
    Which is good for the consumer, at least short-term.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's 90% looks and branding and probably 10% features though.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In theory, yes. But even that is only features. The VRM is moved onto the chip itself, so there's not much differences, if at all, in voltage. The cheapest AsRock z97 and the most blinged ASUS ROG board overclocks basically the same.
    Which is good for the consumer, at least short-term.
    Yeah, hence why I put emphasis on "supposed to be". There's some difference still, but honestly you'll probably hit your CPU's limits before anything else, so the differences that do exist won't do much, if anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am going to be building a new PC. Preferably for Gaming and Streaming, minor editing for YT vids. I have a few things already like SSDs, HDD, PSU. I do have a case but its pretty huge and bulky so thats why I added a new one here. I would love some input from you guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4kYRB
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
    So I am going to be building a new PC. Preferably for Gaming and Streaming, minor editing for YT vids. I have a few things already like SSDs, HDD, PSU. I do have a case but its pretty huge and bulky so thats why I added a new one here. I would love some input from you guys

There's a whole forum section for this, I recommend that you post there!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post

Create a new thread here and answer the questions from this post.

Edit: What Tetris said

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Create a new thread here and answer the questions from this post.

Edit: What Tetris said
    Ha sorry bout that, Thanks guys
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A quick question, can you overclock a locked CPU via your motherboard, or is it strictly the unlocked ones?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    A quick question, can you overclock a locked CPU via your motherboard, or is it strictly the unlocked ones?
    yes and no, you can fiddle with the BCLK, but anything more than 1-2% deviation pretty much crashes the whole system, otherwise it's strictly K and X sku CPUs

This is my latest build (August 30) - thanks to the members (especially notarget) for helping build. For Blizzard games + Video encoding/editing.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.75 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $588.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 16:16 EDT-0400

Storage, case and other prep.s are from past build.

currently running pretty smooth - we'll see what happens over the next week.

I'm thinking storage will be next upgrade, then case - hopefully then CPU in a year or so.

let me know what you think of that upgrade series.
    Last edited by Amgyn; 2014-08-29 at 08:23 PM.
    It's just a game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes and no, you can fiddle with the BCLK, but anything more than 1-2% deviation pretty much crashes the whole system, otherwise it's strictly K and X sku CPUs
    Linus got his Xeon E5-2697 up to 113 BCLK pretty nicely. So in essence about 25% overclock with a supposedly "locked" CPU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khDs...E6Xw-yeJA0Tunw