The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonygoon View Post
    It was a fun build, I got to teach someone about building a computer, and I spent a bunch of money. I had fun.
    The important things in life! Recurring themes! FUN. That is what matters, isn't it?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account

Wink Colors! They're everywhere!

Not sure if this has already been shown in this Thread but I'll try something new:

Photo taken of my SONY KD-75S9005B running an Ambilight Clone System with 318 LED's driven by a Teensy 3.2 and AmbiBox 2.1.7.

The video doesn't do it justice as my camera is struggling with dark environments but I guess you can see what it's all about.
    May want to skip forward to 2:18 to see the 60 LED/m Strips putting out small details around the border.

Two more shots of the rear side:

The 60 LED/m WS2812B Strips around the Border of the TV and in the center the necessary Power Supply, in my case a MeanWell 5V 40A RSP-200-5.
    There's 103 horizontal LED's and 58 Vertical LED's with the corners shared for a total of 318 LED's pulling up to ~19A ( 318 x 0.06A ).

Below the white Ethernet Port of the TV lies the Hardware Heart of the system, a Teensy 3.2 Controller on top of an OctoWS2811 Board.
    The Teensy receives it's information from the PC the whole System is connected to via USB and sends the Information to the WS2812B LED Strips.

The Software Heart is AmbiBox 2.1.7 of which demmax2004, the Developer, provided me with a custom Version supporting more than 300 LED's ( AmbiBox calls them Zones ).
    The necessary Arduino Code to be uploaded to the Teensy beforehand can be found here.
    Line 47 const int ledsPerStrip = 60; needs to be altered to your personal needs on how many LED's per Strip you have installed - In my case 106.

Fullscreen Gaming is supposed to be possible using the PlayClaw Capture Software that comes with AmbiBox but I wasn't able to get it running on Windows 10 so I'm left with Borderless Window Gaming which is still plenty enough for my needs =)

AmbiBox also supports Profiles that allows for quick changing between Aspect Rations like when watching regular 16:9 Content, 2.53:1 Movies or 4:3 Old School stuff.
    26803200 Pixels

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow.

That is extremely cool.

It has been awhile since I originally posted my rig, had it built end of 2014 and upgraded the GPU recently from the 750ti. Thoughts? Any suggestions? I mainly play WOW but am looking at possibly playing some new titles now with the upgrade. Any suggestions on good MMO games for desktop would be appreciated as well.

Specs are in my sig below. I didn't list the PSU, it is an EVGA Supernova NEX750B (750W 80+ Bronze)

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by bocephus; 2016-01-11 at 02:46 AM.
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz, Win 7 Ult 64-bit, Ram Crucial Ballistix Sport (4x8) 32GB DDR3 @ 799MHz, Mobo ASUSTeK Z97-A, Zalman Air Cooler, Monitors (3) - DELL 2709W (1), DELL E2414H (x2), Drives Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(x2)SSD in Raid 0, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM 3.5" @ 7200 rpm, Samsung T1 500GB USB 3.0 External SSD, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ w/BP, Fractal Design Arc XL, EVGA Supernova NEX750B, HL-DT-ST BD-RE Cd-R optical, G710 Mechanical Keyboard, G500 Gaming Mouse

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh a Fractal case with the two SSDs mounted in a cage and the HDD in the other cage? I want to put the HDD in the bottom HDD cage and take out the top one.

Though if I am totally honest, I'd rather see the two SSDs behind the motherboard, or just on the floor of the case, with the one HDD in a bottom spot of the cage or something. =S Something like what I've done in the pic below.

I really want to rebuild that. XD Nice specs, but I want to rebuild damn it!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what's with the two or three extra PCI/PCI-E cards in the bottom near the PSU? What are they doing exactly?
    "A flower.

Thanks for the input Deltrus. The layout was done by the computer tech that actually built it for me. I have only upgraded the RAM and GPU since he built it. Would the rearrangement you suggest help in cooling, or purely aesthetic? I am mostly interested in performance rather looks as no one besides me typically sees the rig and I rarely see the inside as the window of the case is facing away from me. It does everything I need, appreciate the comment on the specs. I still have the 750ti ftw I replaced with the 980ti ftw gpu... might use it in an older rig if it is compatible (not sure). Very nice layout in your picture by the way, thumbs up!

Here is a picture of the back of the computer, the other slots I believe you asked about are for extra, though largely unneeded, usb ports and the wifi card I use to link in (the card is usually turned off though) to the second LAN I have at my house for wife and kids (not enough bandwidth out in my rural area for just one internet connection to keep up). This pic was taken before many of the peripherals were attached.

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz, Win 7 Ult 64-bit, Ram Crucial Ballistix Sport (4x8) 32GB DDR3 @ 799MHz, Mobo ASUSTeK Z97-A, Zalman Air Cooler, Monitors (3) - DELL 2709W (1), DELL E2414H (x2), Drives Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(x2)SSD in Raid 0, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM 3.5" @ 7200 rpm, Samsung T1 500GB USB 3.0 External SSD, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ w/BP, Fractal Design Arc XL, EVGA Supernova NEX750B, HL-DT-ST BD-RE Cd-R optical, G710 Mechanical Keyboard, G500 Gaming Mouse

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly aesthetic - though less hard drive cages blocking your front fans would help with airflow. ^_<
    "A flower.

ok, thanks. have to say though, the Fractal may not be pretty,I like it though ... between the ambient temp in the room staying around 68 degrees F, and the massive amount of general space in the Arc XL, it stays pretty darn cool even with the heaviest loads. One of the main reasons for going with the big black tower was functionality and general ease of use and airflow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Fractal, they're some of the most gorgeous cases, but every case can be ruined by poor cable management and such. :P That tech didn't do that for ya, unfortunately.

You'd be surprised how much easier I've actually found using a mid-tower chassis as opposed to a full-tower, as before I got my Fractal Design Define R4, I had a Cooler Master HAF X. All sorts of issues with full tower, to name a few...

A) 8-pin CPU power cord is barely ever long enough/is being pulled pretty damn hard to come up the back if you want to make the insides look nice.
    B) It's fucking huge, dare you want to move it around at all, work in it, take it to a LAN party, etc, it's a pain in the ass... and the back, literally!
    C) It just looks silly if you aren't using it to its full potential. :P By full potential I mean at minimum two GPUs, custom liquid cooling, multiple hard drives/SSDs, big ol' PSU... you get the gist. In today's age of low-TDP CPUs and GPUs, they pull so little power and create such little heat, and so on and so forth, what coupled with the vastly improved fans we now have vs even 5 years ago, and the dust filters, you can bet your ass you'll have ample airflow in even the most cramped up case!

- - - Updated - - -

Mkay.

Here's a few quick pictures of my computer with the GTX 970 installed.

Pictures are from Canon 7D Mark II with a Canon 50mm f/1.4, the two pictures with that f stop are the ones zoomed right in on the GPU itself, notice how quickly it blurs out the background? LOVELY.

Specs for those wondering:

i7-5820K@4.0GHz cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard (older version pre-USB 3.1)
    32GB Crucial 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
    Crucial mx100 512GB SSD
    Crucial M500 250GB SSD
    WD Black 5TB
    WD Black 1TB
    WD Blue 1TB
    SeaSonic X660 Gold PSU
    Housed in a Fractal Design Define R4 White no-window chassis

Peripherals:

Samsung S34E790C 34" Curved 3440x1440 PLS display
    Corsair K70 Blues Mech. Keyboard
    Steelseries Sensei RAW Mouse
    Blue Snowball mic
    Schiit Modi DAC + Asgard 2 AMP stack
    Sennheiser HD598 headphones
    Presonus Eris E5 studio monitors
    KRK K10S subwoofer
    Duh bestest IKEA desk I could've asked for.

A link to my more recent setup post with more pictures...

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post37812004
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2016-01-11 at 10:04 AM.
    "A flower.

A little update from me, added some leds, motherboard armor, new fans i think, and sleeved cables.

http://imgur.com/a/fCxfD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyouweed View Post
    A little update from me, added some leds, motherboard armor, new fans i think, and sleeved cables.

Unique color of blue, I dig it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    You are in the demon hunter forum, otherwise known as the 7.0 hype train. Why did you board the hype train if you don't wish to participate in hype train activities?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyouweed View Post

The CPU block on the H100iGTX looks pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The CPU block on the H100iGTX looks pretty sweet.
    One of the best looking aio blocks imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    asked for help and suggestions about 3 months ago and you guys delivered. So here's the PC upgrades:

(larger image here)

OLD
    Motherboard: Asus Essentio CM5675-09 LGA 1156
    CPU: i5-650 Clarkdale dual core @3.2Ghz
    RAM: DDR3 1033 6GB 3x2gb

NEW
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X99 LGA 2011v3
    CPU: i7-5820K 6core overclocked 4.0Ghz (until I can get some proper cooling)
    RAM: DDR4 2400 32GB 4x8gb

Plans...
    Need to replace that GTX 660 TI eventually to match the new hardware (maybe wait for Q2 next gen?). Then would like a new case that supports radiators better. the Storm Scout 2 is great with its handle and all. But is TERRIBLE to try and fit any radiators. Bottom HDD cage is not removable and space above motherboard is non-existent. And the side panel has mounting brackets for 2 120mm fans which are not used so its unnecessary vents to allow more dust. Was thinking the Fractal Design Define S since I have the correct amount of HDD and SSD drives to fully populate the back of it.

here you can see the side panel vents. might just move front fans to the side panel and place a 140mm I have laying around to the front.

and here, you can see how much space the Scout 2 case gives you. Had to remove fans in order to fit the 8pin power connector.
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the front always open like that? =S

- - - Updated - - -

Dude I'm cooling my i7-5820k@4.2GHz and 1.3v with just a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. You can definitely AT LEAST do that with a Noctua. >_<
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Is the front always open like that? =S

- - - Updated - - -

Dude I'm cooling my i7-5820k@4.2GHz and 1.3v with just a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. You can definitely AT LEAST do that with a Noctua. >_<
    What kind of temps do you get in gaming and on idle? I generally see ~40 idle and ~50 in games when it turns up the power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Under major stress I get 74 - 84 Celsius.
    Idling like right now (granted 60 or so tabs of Chrome open omg such stress) I'm getting: 32 to 38 Celsius. Minimum ever in the last 304 hours (looool Realtemp) was 28 to 32 Celsius.
    Restarting RealTemp to compare for gaming...

Just did an 8 man trial in FF XIV ARR: Heavensward and tried Frapsing a bit too, to up the stress on the CPU - other than also getting horrible server lag at the same time (no video will be coming out of that! lol) I got temps ranging:

53 to 62 Celsius.

Really not that bad at all.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    its actually the Cooler Master T4 with Noctua fans. The surface area of the T4 doesn't sufficiently cover the large 5820k chip. But I dont game anymore so I wanted a subtle 4.0Ghz. Didn't even cover the i5-650 completely either, so you can imagine. Will probably push 4.4 once I get proper cooling.

edit: did research of T4 vs Hyper 212 EVO. Looks like they're very close. Still want to replace it eventually.
    http://www.dvtests.com/cooler-master...st-and-review/
    Last edited by Starbrand; 2016-01-25 at 02:30 AM.
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never use something that doesn't completely cover the CPU. That sounds like begging for problems to occur... If you can afford a 5820k and such, I know you could at least afford a decent heatsink that will cover it well.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Under major stress I get 74 - 84 Celsius.
    Idling like right now (granted 60 or so tabs of Chrome open omg such stress) I'm getting: 32 to 38 Celsius. Minimum ever in the last 304 hours (looool Realtemp) was 28 to 32 Celsius.
    Restarting RealTemp to compare for gaming...

Just did an 8 man trial in FF XIV ARR: Heavensward and tried Frapsing a bit too, to up the stress on the CPU - other than also getting horrible server lag at the same time (no video will be coming out of that! lol) I got temps ranging:

53 to 62 Celsius.

Really not that bad at all.
    I guess we're probably getting similar temps because my fans all run at very low speeds ( 300 rpm when the cpu is under 45°C).