The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Indeed it is. That Noctua definitely brings the enthusiasm level up a notch.
    Honestly... it covers up the RAM so damn well, it basically negates the whole philosophy of RAM needing to look cool. Like, guys, RAM doesn't get hot. =|
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This is gonna be my new build for the next few years, ill post a pic after i build it

CPU: Core i7-6800K 3,4 GHz
    CPU Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H110i
    Mobo: ASUS X99-DELUXE II
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 16 GB DDR4-3000
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    PSU: Corsair RM850X
    SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage, 480 GB
    HD: Seagate 3TB external
    Case: Corsair Graphite 780T
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX2
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Overkill CPU! (As I own the predecessor).

Unless you're going for SLI, you could reduce that to a 650/550W. Mostly just penny pinching considering you have the funding for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its from my old pc which had SLI (not that im not planning it for the future), As for the CPU it was a cheap deal and only 30 euro more then the i7-5820K (for 2011-3 socket)
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Why in the world would you try that.
    Was out all day when the package arrived and arrived home drunk, seemed like a good idea at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Its from my old pc which had SLI (not that im not planning it for the future), As for the CPU it was a cheap deal and only 30 euro more then the i7-5820K (for 2011-3 socket)
    Erm... so wait, do you already have a 5820K? Or are you saying you just have the X99 mobo just because?

Because you really won't see a huuuuuge performance jump from the 5820K to 6800K.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1320?vs=1727
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    No i got a 6800k but a 5825k is 30 euro less so why not get the 6800k, to go with my new x99 mobo.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2016-07-19 at 11:23 AM.

I gave up on the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X since it is still MIA over here and managed to grab an Asus GTX 1080 Strix, so far it's running a good 10-20° C cooler then the old GTX 780.

Now if only they would fix their GPU tweak software so I can still use @ and other keys that would be great. Anyone now a good substitute by any chance?

My computer is:

Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 3.6Ghz 6 core / 12 thread CPU
    MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i (1.0) closed loop water cooler.
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 PC4-24000 Memory
    evga Geforce GTX 660 TI Signature 2 (don't laugh, I'm waiting on a 1070 or 1080).
    OCZ ZT Series 750w Gold PSU
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD (C:\)
    OCZ Trion 150 500GB SSD (D:\... Steam + Games)
    WD Green 3TB HDD (Media, Work)
    {removed in final build} WD Black 1TB HDD
    {removed in final build} 2x OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
    Creative Labs XiFi Fatality Sound Card
    Corsair Vengeance C70 (black) case
    Various wires and doodads.

It's probably considerably different from everyone elses comp considering the motherboard and CPU choice. And yes it's overclocked to hell.

So this began because I just built a computer for a guildie, and I got very jealous of the newer case design (a NZXT H440), and the all-SSD build I did for him. I decided I needed to fix my rig to make it worthy of the Haswell-E CPU I got in December (which replaced by Core i7 930, still going strong in another computer!). The first thing that needed to happen is I needed to drop from 5 drives to fewer, preferably, if possible, a pure SSD. Build. Eventually, we got close, but not there yet.

To that end I bought some wires, fans (see below) and a OCZ Trion 150 500gb SSD.

The OLD wiring

So in the picture above, ignore the OCZ SSD just dangling... that was there so I could move stuff to it. I last rewired my computer in December 2015 when I got the Core i7 5820. I thought I did a pretty good job with it, but in truth, I was never happy with the look. I had 5 drives (a 3TB WD Green HHD, a 1TB WD Black HD, a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, and 2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs). That was getting on my nerves in terms of use because games were everywhere. Internally, I didn't like the rack at the front of the case with the fan.

Before I rewired in December, I had actually double sided taped them to the back of the motherboard, but undid that when I rewired.... but the fan was really doing nothing for the already cool SSDs.

There are other things that annoyed me. Wires were all sorts of colors. Fans were the right fans for where they are, but were random. It was as clean as could be with the wires for this set up

The Old wiring, backside

This is the backside of the old wiring. Considering how many fans and drives I had crammed in here, I thought it was good at the time. One thing I wanted to eliminate for sure was as many power cables coming from my PSU. If you look carefully in the middle you'll see an aftermarket fan controller powered by PCI-E. It was great at the time, but I decided that had to go - it was another wire. The goal was to put as much as I could on SATA Power. These cables + the # of drives were the root of the problem.

I ended up buying two things to accomplish this task:

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...Fan+controller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The former would do the same thing as my controller, but with SATA Power. The second item would allow me to daisy chain the drives I did decide to keep without having the awkwardly fold and orient the PSU's SATA power cable, also in turn giving me more SATA Power connectors to work with for other devices. The goal was to have one SATA Power cable for 3 storage drives, the Corsair H100i, the LED strip and the fan controller. In the final build I succeeded in this with the help of an SATA Power splitter I happened to have already.

The rewired inside!
    I bought a few more things to clean up the inside!

First, I got red sleeved Motherboard power and PCI-E extension cables.

My PSU is... unusual. Most computers I use use Corsairs, but this one I got back in 2011 or so and was a top reviewed one. I knew less about brands then I do now. I plan on getting a different PSU down the road and put this one in another PC. When I do that, I'll get individually sleaved cables for that PSU, rather than extensions. But for now, extensions will have to do.

I replaced the 4 fans on the H100i. The two inside were the ringed Corsair Air SP120s, that match the one at the back of the case. IN a lot of the computers I've seen on various websites, I liked the accent of the ring, and these were the recomended fans for this set up.

I didn't take a picture of the back, but I carefully hid everything... much easier considering I cut the wires in the case down by about half!

I also made all the SATA cables red... consistent with the red/black theme. I had them lying around already. I'm not sure about their oreintation, but they're fine for now.

Overall I couldn't believe the difference cleaning up the wires, getting some drives out of there, and getting some red extensionc ables made. It's like a whole new computer internally.

The side panel on!
    If you look at the bottom of the case... where is the PSU? I made a PSU shroud out of aluminum from Loews! have some carbon fiber tape to wrap it to give it a different look... but I'm undecided if I'm going to do it or not. I kind of like how it reflects light!

Anyone wanting to do this simply needs an 18"x6" piece of anything. That gives space in the back for wires to run (it doesn't touch the far side of the case). It is held in place with double sided tape.

External-top
    So here's the case. In case you haven't recognized it, it's a black Corsair Vengeance C70 with an aftermarket flat, clear window (replacing the grilled one that was darker that came with it).

This case is about 4 years old now (mine is 3 I think) but I adore it. Granted, it is missing some of the features of more modern cases, particularly NZXT ones, like a PSU shrouds, integrated SSD mounts and other tricky ways to hide and route cables, but it can do most of what more recent cases can do.

In this picture you see two things. First I put 2x Corsair Air SP 120 red on the top of the H100i. I didn't have that previously... and I don't know why consider I like the look of them on the front.

Under the power buttons is my fan controller. I had that since the December Rewire. It provides the lights inside the case. It's terrffic, can do any color, and would be the one I reccomend for people wanting to light their case. Since we're going with a red-black theme, it'll stay red. Maybe next case I'll do a white-blue one?

Rewired Case, Front

Here it is from another perspective. I'm very proud of how it turned out. Making a pretty internal case isn't hard... it just needed a little planning and about $80 of supplies for visual consistency!

My set up (pre-rewiring)!

3 monitors (all different), Corsair K70 Keyboard, Razer Naga. Also mandatory Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past pack in poster that has been in whatever bedroom/office/dorm I've had since 1992.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that an iPad or something on top of your left-most monitor? O.o
    "A flower.

2012 Nexus 7. I use the Comcast App on it mostly, but also have my Google Keep To do lists up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    My computer is:

Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 3.6Ghz 6 core / 12 thread CPU
    MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i (1.0) closed loop water cooler.
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 PC4-24000 Memory
    evga Geforce GTX 660 TI Signature 2 (don't laugh, I'm waiting on a 1070 or 1080).
    OCZ ZT Series 750w Gold PSU
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD (C:\)
    OCZ Trion 150 500GB SSD (D:\... Steam + Games)
    WD Green 3TB HDD (Media, Work)
    {removed in final build} WD Black 1TB HDD
    {removed in final build} 2x OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
    Creative Labs XiFi Fatality Sound Card
    Corsair Vengeance C70 (black) case
    Various wires and doodads.

It's probably considerably different from everyone elses comp considering the motherboard and CPU choice. And yes it's overclocked to hell.
    What's your OC and voltage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    What's your OC and voltage?
    lol usually when people overclock them, they simply state it. Like in my post. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41394969

And I just saw the little comment... considerably different, haha. Not really, I and many others have X99 motherboards and i7-5820Ks... but then there are people who went even further and got the 5930K or 5960X... no one is a special unique butterfly here.
    "A flower.

4.5GHz and 1.3v.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol usually when people overclock them, they simply state it. Like in my post. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41394969

And I just saw the little comment... considerably different, haha. Not really, I and many others have X99 motherboards and i7-5820Ks... but then there are people who went even further and got the 5930K or 5960X... no one is a special unique butterfly here.
    Some context.

I copied most of the post from our guild forum where we discuss this stuff. We build a lot of computer builders in Tyranny. We have had a running "guild standard build" since 2010 that's been Z68->Z77->Z87 -> Z97->Z170. It's been a kind of $1200 model build that I'm sure you can image (Core i5 K, Z motherboard of the time, the memory of the time, a Geforce GTZ x70, ever larger SSD). Most are Z170 as of late (or previously, Z97). People buy parts, send them to me or somebody else, we build them and send them back. In the guild, I'm the only one with with a X99, which is why I said that.

Our build is like Unicorn, but with Corsair and MSI parts (I love MSI's UEFI). We put i a NH-D15 or H100i depending what people want. Cases have generally been corsair, but we just switched to the NZXT H440, which I really, really like.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-07-22 at 10:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    4.5GHz and 1.3v.
    Reeeeally? Can you prove it? :O

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-Leaderboards
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now now, just cause your chip is garbage doesn't mean others are. :P
    I actually never bothered to try 4.5@1.3V now that I think about it but too lazy to bother.

Gladly

Name: Skroesec
    Processor: Intel Core i7 5820k Haswell-E
    Clock:4498.6 MHz
    Voltage: 1.298V
    Cooler: Corsair H100i v1.0
    Screenshot LINK: I'll get this later
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.x86.fr/s1anxi

- - - Updated - - -

I actually never bothered to try 4.5@1.3V now that I think about it but too lazy to bother.
    It's very stable. I read that instability happens when you try and push it past 4.6 and 1.375v. Some apparently do well up to 4.6 and 1.35 iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did I say that?

Though we do know that the 5820K is a binned CPU, and has a very hard wall that basically you can't get past when you hit it.

Some of us hit it at 4.3, some at 4.5, I don't really know of any who took it further, sadly.
    "A flower.

New setup in 2 weeks unless I change my mind

Case- Zalman Z11 Neo
    CPU- AMD FX-6300
    HDD- Western Digital Blue 2TB
    PSU- EVGA 600B Bronze 80 plus
    GPU- Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB.
    RAM- Hyper X Fury Series 8GB 1600 DDR3.
    MOBO- Asus M5A97 R2.0.
    WiFi Card- TP Link TL WDN4800 N900 Pcie card.
    OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

And as for thermal compound got this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045JCFLY and as for disc drive I'll just reuse my current crappy one. And as for CPU cooler already got a 6 month old 212 evo so might as well stick with it. Tbh might cheapen it a bit and get a quad core and a 950.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-07-23 at 12:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did I say that?

Though we do know that the 5820K is a binned CPU, and has a very hard wall that basically you can't get past when you hit it.

Some of us hit it at 4.3, some at 4.5, I don't really know of any who took it further, sadly.
    I was joking atound.