1. #15561
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    My computer is:

    Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 3.6Ghz 6 core / 12 thread CPU
    MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i (1.0) closed loop water cooler.
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 PC4-24000 Memory
    evga Geforce GTX 660 TI Signature 2 (don't laugh, I'm waiting on a 1070 or 1080).
    OCZ ZT Series 750w Gold PSU
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD (C:\)
    OCZ Trion 150 500GB SSD (D:\... Steam + Games)
    WD Green 3TB HDD (Media, Work)
    {removed in final build} WD Black 1TB HDD
    {removed in final build} 2x OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
    Creative Labs XiFi Fatality Sound Card
    Corsair Vengeance C70 (black) case
    Various wires and doodads.

    It's probably considerably different from everyone elses comp considering the motherboard and CPU choice. And yes it's overclocked to hell.
    What's your OC and voltage?

  2. #15562
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    What's your OC and voltage?
    lol usually when people overclock them, they simply state it. Like in my post. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41394969

    And I just saw the little comment... considerably different, haha. Not really, I and many others have X99 motherboards and i7-5820Ks... but then there are people who went even further and got the 5930K or 5960X... no one is a special unique butterfly here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  3. #15563
    Over 9000! Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,267
    4.5GHz and 1.3v.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol usually when people overclock them, they simply state it. Like in my post. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41394969

    And I just saw the little comment... considerably different, haha. Not really, I and many others have X99 motherboards and i7-5820Ks... but then there are people who went even further and got the 5930K or 5960X... no one is a special unique butterfly here.
    Some context.

    I copied most of the post from our guild forum where we discuss this stuff. We build a lot of computer builders in Tyranny. We have had a running "guild standard build" since 2010 that's been Z68->Z77->Z87 -> Z97->Z170. It's been a kind of $1200 model build that I'm sure you can image (Core i5 K, Z motherboard of the time, the memory of the time, a Geforce GTZ x70, ever larger SSD). Most are Z170 as of late (or previously, Z97). People buy parts, send them to me or somebody else, we build them and send them back. In the guild, I'm the only one with with a X99, which is why I said that.

    Our build is like Unicorn, but with Corsair and MSI parts (I love MSI's UEFI). We put i a NH-D15 or H100i depending what people want. Cases have generally been corsair, but we just switched to the NZXT H440, which I really, really like.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-07-22 at 10:45 PM.

  4. #15564
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    4.5GHz and 1.3v.
    Reeeeally? Can you prove it? :O

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-Leaderboards
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  5. #15565
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Okingjo
    Posts
    12,571
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Now now, just cause your chip is garbage doesn't mean others are. :P
    I actually never bothered to try [email protected] now that I think about it but too lazy to bother.

  6. #15566
    Over 9000! Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Gladly

    Name: Skroesec
    Processor: Intel Core i7 5820k Haswell-E
    Clock:4498.6 MHz
    Voltage: 1.298V
    Cooler: Corsair H100i v1.0
    Screenshot LINK: I'll get this later
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.x86.fr/s1anxi

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Now now, just cause your chip is garbage doesn't mean others are. :P
    I actually never bothered to try [email protected] now that I think about it but too lazy to bother.
    It's very stable. I read that instability happens when you try and push it past 4.6 and 1.375v. Some apparently do well up to 4.6 and 1.35 iirc.

  7. #15567
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Now now, just cause your chip is garbage doesn't mean others are. :P
    I actually never bothered to try [email protected] now that I think about it but too lazy to bother.
    Where did I say that?

    Though we do know that the 5820K is a binned CPU, and has a very hard wall that basically you can't get past when you hit it.

    Some of us hit it at 4.3, some at 4.5, I don't really know of any who took it further, sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  8. #15568
    Scarab Lord Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Basement.
    Posts
    4,476
    New setup in 2 weeks unless I change my mind

    Case- Zalman Z11 Neo
    CPU- AMD FX-6300
    HDD- Western Digital Blue 2TB
    PSU- EVGA 600B Bronze 80 plus
    GPU- Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB.
    RAM- Hyper X Fury Series 8GB 1600 DDR3.
    MOBO- Asus M5A97 R2.0.
    WiFi Card- TP Link TL WDN4800 N900 Pcie card.
    OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

    And as for thermal compound got this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045JCFLY and as for disc drive I'll just reuse my current crappy one. And as for CPU cooler already got a 6 month old 212 evo so might as well stick with it. Tbh might cheapen it a bit and get a quad core and a 950.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; Yesterday at 12:01 AM.
    "A life with no changes can’t be called life. You can only call it experience." Lelouch Vi Britannia.
    “Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.” Ernest Cline.

  9. #15569
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Okingjo
    Posts
    12,571
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Where did I say that?

    Though we do know that the 5820K is a binned CPU, and has a very hard wall that basically you can't get past when you hit it.

    Some of us hit it at 4.3, some at 4.5, I don't really know of any who took it further, sadly.
    I was joking atound.

  10. #15570
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,772
    I just finished my newest build and i'm extremely proud of how it turned out to be.

    After getting a job at my parents company i've been working everyday for the past 3 months to get this together.

    Just happy to be back at gaming!

    Specs in my signature.

    Skylake & Pascal gaming build 2016
    6700K | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV | Corsair LPX 16GB | GTX 1080 Gaming X |
    S850 EVO 500GB | Corsair RM750x | Razer BW Chroma - Razer Deathadder Chroma | Asus Rog 1440p 165Hz IPS |

  11. #15571
    Over 9000! Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Here it is:

    Name: Skroe / Skroesec
    Processor: Intel Core i7 5820k Haswell-E
    Clock:4498.6 MHz
    Voltage: 1.298V
    Cooler: Corsair H100i v1.0
    Screenshot LINK: http://imgur.com/a/QObd3
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.x86.fr/s1anxi

    Honestly I think I could go a little further... maybe I won the silicon lottery. I'm not an overclocking enthusaist or expert or anything. I've been doing it for many years casually and the routine's the same: find a guide with my mobo/CPU combo that is a "high but safe" overclock that anyone with that chip can hit and gradually step it up (though I dont normally do an 8 hour stability test) until it fails. I mean there are guides online for 4.6GHz / 1.35v overclocks with the 5820, but I'm not going to go that far.
    Last edited by Skroe; Yesterday at 05:59 PM.

  12. #15572
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Here it is:

    Name: Skroe / Skroesec
    Processor: Intel Core i7 5820k Haswell-E
    Clock:4498.6 MHz
    Voltage: 1.298V
    Cooler: Corsair H100i v1.0
    Screenshot LINK: http://imgur.com/a/QObd3
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.x86.fr/s1anxi

    Honestly I think I could go a little further... maybe I won the silicon lottery. I'm not an overclocking enthusaist or expert or anything. I've been doing it for many years casually and the routine's the same: find a guide with my mobo/CPU combo that is a "high but safe" overclock that anyone with that chip can hit and gradually step it up (though I dont normally do an 8 hour stability test) until it fails. I mean there are guides online for 4.6GHz / 1.35v overclocks with the 5820, but I'm not going to go that far.
    I'd love a link to the guide you used, if you wouldn't mind! I'd like to see what this chip is actually capable of, but I'm merely the OC leaderboard posterboy, I don't know all the ins and outs of it, especially when it comes to bus speed-tweaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  13. #15573
    Over 9000! Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'd love a link to the guide you used, if you wouldn't mind! I'd like to see what this chip is actually capable of, but I'm merely the OC leaderboard posterboy, I don't know all the ins and outs of it, especially when it comes to bus speed-tweaking.
    Absolutely. It's this one:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlPlKJfWw5M

    I did all of that, then slowly moved the Voltage and Multiplier up (to test stability) to hit 4.5. I keep the lower values used in the video Vcore = 1.275 and Multiplier (CPU Ratio in the bios) = 34, as a back up. But those are the only differences.

    At around 1:50 he starts to fiddle with the Bus (base is 100, sets it to 125).

    Another good resource: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ck-assist.html

    In one of the posts the guy gets 4.4Ghz with a BCLK of 100 and a Ratio of 44 and a Vcore of 1.27V

    From what I've read, these chips are good up to about 1.35 Volts. I'm not gonna try that though.
    Last edited by Skroe; Yesterday at 09:36 PM.

  14. #15574
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,953
    Sweet thanks!

    I'll have to figure out how to translate it to my motherboard when the time comes. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  15. #15575
    Over 9000! Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Sweet thanks!

    I'll have to figure out how to translate it to my motherboard when the time comes. ^_^
    Yeah the MSI UEFI uses some different terminology (at least in comparison to Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA Motherboards I've owned/work with). Still, I fricken love it.

  16. #15576
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Yeah the MSI UEFI uses some different terminology (at least in comparison to Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA Motherboards I've owned/work with). Still, I fricken love it.
    Yeah, I really like the layout of my MSI MPower's UEFI
    Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Samsung 951PRO nVME 512GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic X850

    Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •