Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Unholy, Blood, or Frost leveling?

The question is what is the best choice of leveling from 80 to 85? And please provide an explanation to your answer.
    Frost?
    Unholy?
    Blood?

Thank you in advance!

There's an active thread talking about this already.

Deleted
    EDIT: Nvm just post if you like, i haven't found any active thread about this as stated above.
    Last edited by mmocb11f6675aa; 2010-11-26 at 03:21 PM.

I'm going to be going DW Frost until 82 and then maybe blood.
    The reason for this is after 82 the mobs hit a lot harder and the self healing from blood will help a lot.
    The reason you want to go frost straight up is because of the talent On a pale horse. At 82 blood can spec into this.
    It is THE most important talent for leveling.

Personally, I'm going to go with a blood spec along the lines of http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000 - more of a focus on the damage-dealing talents from blood, and a push into frost to pick up on a pale horse. RP generation will likely be rather high, so rune strike will be in use a lot for its damage dealing abilities, and probably a 0-disease rotation (although that may change as I level, dependent on how it feels). It arguably might be worth taking one out of BCB and putting it in lichborne for an additional healing spell (DC), particularly beyond 82. I think I'll also be using my offspec unholy gear while in blood spec, to try to mitigate the DPS drop from speccing tank. Not 100% sure about all this yet, and I'll fully admit it's a touch risky, but I reckon it's not entirely unreasonable.

Deleted
    I will use my Frost DPS spec as much as possible, because of the good dps and will make leveling faster.

But for group quests and harder ones, I will use my tank spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably just stick to leveling blood to 85, im in no real rush, plus i wont have to mess around with talent switching. There is also the fact even though my DPS gear is almost up to par to my tanking gear, through tests on beta, I can use my current Tanking gear up to lv 83 easy, and then some. so I won't have to worry about gear until 83ish, and by then, i will have run many dungeons and probably gotten trinkets and replacements for some gear. I remember I got a nice 2 handed polearm/axe before I got any upgrade to gear.

I'll most likely just level up as full blood tank spec, even whilst questing.

I'm not going for Server First but i'll still definately level up fast enough to get into end game content with guild asap.

Frost due to being used to it permanent 15% runspeed and speccing into 20% mountspeed aswell to speed it up.
    Provides me with relativley high burst aoe on demand and fast traveling. Sounds like a awesome leveling spec no self healing really but food/bandadges/gift of the naaru should suffice hopefully

Unholy. Thats just me, before i leveled as Blood and it was easy as cake but as blood is now a tank spec. I would probably go with unholy.

-Blood, optomized a tad for extra DPS and away from Tanking.
    -In DPS Armor of course.

I leveled 2 of them to 85 that way and I found it better because there is NO down time, and with Unholy I had to stop and heal every few mobs, which is a pain in the ass.

Unholy.

Having the ghoul will help out a lot. That, and I don't understand Frost. =)

Blood

I will go blood with DPS gear for some pull and full tanking gear on other. I did the same tactic on my pally in wrath (Prot with DPS and tanking gear) and the result was awesome : Fair DPS on single mob, Awesome DPS on multiple mob, self healing, Instant Q for tanking (well that will be true now, it was not in Wrath since the system was not implemented). I just quested and ran dungeon with guildies non stop while pulling as many mobs as i could. That gave me server first pally and BE, so it work!

Here is my idea why multi mob tanking is the best way to lv as a prot spec... many mobs = many dodge/parry = many occasion to rune strike = increase DPS and free rune via Runic Empowerment = free death Strike = free healing + runic power for more rune strike = free rune via Runic Empowerment =.... ect

I will pull pull pull with Unholy command until i find the maximum number of mobs i can take...

I will not go for server first this year since I have two final on Thursday, dam you engineering!

I find unholy to kill mobs much faster, but u need to sit down and eat every once in a while

blood spec, dps gear, cant go wrong mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    Blood:
    Pros = Lots of self-healing ability (Death Strike, Rune Tap, Vamp. Blood) + damage mitigation, meaning superior survivability and less downtime; Heart Strike's Cleave
    Cons = Tanking spec, not as strong DPS as other specs. It takes longer to kill targets, and with them not killing YOU, fights actually take longer.

Frost:
    Pros = Strongest burst of any spec; bonus RP Gen + Lichborne = Heals; Can simply replace Ob with DS when in need of healing; 20% Mounted speed reduces transit time between pulls; Howling Blast's ranged "Cleave"
    Cons = Dual-wield suffers at higher levels while 2Handed is behind slightly on damage; The playstyle in general: While there's controversy as to what's really wrong with it, I think it's just that Frost wasn't polished as much as the other two specs were... and of course that it's just very confusing and RNG-oriented.

Unholy:
    Pros = Pet hits like a FRICKING TRUCK under Dark Transformation; Buff to Pestilence, and DoTs will usually take down runaway targets; Master of Ghouls causes Raise Dead's CD to match that of Death Pact; Unholy Command allows for chain-pulling; Magic Suppression adds survivability against casters; Playstyle is more 'predictable' (but not necessarily boring so much as anticipation-building)
    Cons = A lot of downtime due to lack of healing (Death Strike is difficult to fit into the U>BF model and Death Pact kills your primary damage output: the Ghoul) and melee survival (which is kinda important since it's a melee class)

Choose your poison.
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2010-12-01 at 03:29 AM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    Cons = Pet has about 5 seconds of downtime when you dismount (by which time the mob in question may be dead);
    Not true anymore, even on live it's has been updated few patches ago !

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally ill be leveling up as Unholy, regardless of pro's and con's ive simply become used to having a ghoul pet along with me, feels weird being frost or blood now and not having a perma pet beside me. Damage from Unholy is good and if you pull some extra mobs ghoul pet with DT buff up and you can claw cleave and aoe them down nicely. Will hurt not to have on a pale horse talent with unoly though, only downside in my eyes.

I tried using my 277 gears in beta, if you DW then good luck to you because at level 82+ you will find that you start to miss on every hit. Your dps will be like close to 2k if lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was leveling as 2h frost but I found myself having to spam death strike alot on higher level mobs. now I just plow through everything as blood. its cake