Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Is there REALLY 12million people playing?

As the title says and here is my proof as to why I say no.

If you take blizzards revenue # and multiply 12million by 15$ per month for 12 months they do not equal each other. not even close.

12million players paying 15 a month for a whole year = 2,160,000,000

Revenue in 2009 =" June 30 they recorded $1.038 billion in revenue. " -source = http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/08/...wers-2009-rev/

Revenue includes every bit of money that comes in or goes out by definition so that means the store too.

I am open to debate on this matter i'd like a few different view points and math calculations from other players.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they say theres 12 million people playing, that means theres 12 million people playing, they arn't allowed to falsely advertise.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

If Blizzard says there are 12 million active subscribers, then there are. We can't prove it either way, so there's no point in debating this.

PS: A lot of their active "subscribers" don't pay $15/mo.
    Last edited by Resies; 2010-11-26 at 05:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    time to invest for big dividends?

Cost of maintaining the servers / paying employees count?
    ( I don't know if that is what revenue includes, I have no idea about finance ;] )

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There may be 12 million accounts but There can't be that many people playing based on the numbers i have found. We can't forget about recruit a friend and such and the cost of the game it's self. not to mention all the things they sell on their store.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    As the title says and here is my proof as to why I say no.

If you take blizzards revenue # and multiply 12million by 15$ per month for 12 months they do not equal each other. not even close.

12million players paying 15 a month for a whole year = 2,160,000,000

Revenue in 2009 =" June 30 they recorded $1.038 billion in revenue. " -source = http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/08/...wers-2009-rev/

Revenue includes every bit of money that comes in or goes out by definition so that means the store too.

I am open to debate on this matter i'd like a few different view points and math calculations from other players.
    because this really matters whY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulf View Post
    You actually get a raidspot as a clicker dps

sigh.

Deleted
    If im not mistaking they say 12 million subscribers which would mean 12 million purchased accounts, in that count and the inactive ones.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    it means that 12 million accounts have been created.

I'm sure not every single person who ever created an account is playing at this very moment.

There are many, MANY players with more than one account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakwave View Post
    Geeks are awesome because they have sex with your wife while you are cleaning McDonalds bathrooms.
    "PROUD POSTER IN THE LEGENDARY If u are horde 2011 THREAD!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    There are 12 million people playing. Why would Blizzard lie about how many people play? 11.5 million, 12 million, 2 billion, All of these are just stats because the human mind cant comprehend that amount of people. Thats where that old saying "1 person dies, its a disaster, 10 people die its a tragedy, 10,000 people die its a statistic.". I may have paraphrased, but it went along the lines of that.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

Don't forget the not everyone pay's $15 a month. First there are 3- 6- and 12-month plans which cut it down by a few dollars a month. Then in other countries the subscription cost is different, particularly in China where they don't pay anywhere near $15 a month to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dindo View Post
    it means that 12 million accounts have been created.

I'm sure not every single person who ever created an account is playing at this very moment.

There are many, MANY players with more than one account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peakone View Post
    If im not mistaking they say 12 million subscribers which would mean 12 million purchased accounts, in that count and the inactive ones.
    If you read their press release they very carefully explained what an active subscriber was.

There are probably 4-6 million people that play. 12 million accounts created total.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    There are probably 4-6 million people that play. 12 million accounts created total.
    I take it you didn't read Blizzard's press release?

The sweatshops in China that buy bulk accounts in the thousands don't pay anywhere near $15 a month. Not to mention regular players with free game time and bulk game time (12 months of WoW =/= $15 a month). June 2009 was over a year ago, well before their 12 million subscriber landmark and also before the store/several account services they now offer.

They can't lie about their subscribers.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see but I really don't think it is true. Even if you factor in all the variables it still comes to around 5-7 million.

I see but I really don't think it is true. Even if you factor in all the variables it still comes to around 5-7 million.
    So you have access to every single statistic they have?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also I didn't post this for people to get all mad or bicker just wanted a simple intelligent debate.

There may be 12 million accounts but There can't be that many people playing based on the numbers i have found. We can't forget about recruit a friend and such and the cost of the game it's self. not to mention all the things they sell on their store.
    What are these so called 'numbers you have found' and how did you obtain them because I honestly doubt you found anything really proving the opposite of what they've stated. You guessing based off a few things we know of in the game isn't proof, it's a guess.

Also I didn't post this for people to get all mad or bicker just wanted a simple intelligent debate.
    Then you could try showing some intelligence?