Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    A lot of people in Australia, like myself, are stuck with slow internet connections due to congestion. For example, I'm paying $100/mo for an 8mbps connection and only get 10kbps most of the time, 100kbps if I'm lucky, or at night for a few hours (2-3am sometimes 4am).

Being able to buy the box with a CD or DVD mostly these days, saves from months or downloading.

15+ Year Old Account
    My connection is fast, and I've grown to love games on Steam. I've even heard game manufacturers call it the "savior of PC gaming". At this point, I'm happy enough having my games downloadable, since I have a fast connection and don't reinstall that often...

I definitely understand the appeal of having something you can touch, though -- I still prefer to buy CDs rather than mp3s via iTunes or whatever; having that collection is important to me, somehow

Deleted
    I like getting the physical product, when I buy something. Only think I have ever bought 1 game on the internet. Guess I see the box as some sort of collectible >_> Cant really explain why I want the box, I just do. Same reason I didnt buy digital download for Cataclysm and have a preorder on the box

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i pefer physical copies over downloaded copies...its like opening a present, you dont know what's inside (the art on the DVD, the manual content, the extra stuff in it)...plus i think it's easier to install.

Deleted
    Steam is my personal lord and savior, appealing to both my wallet and my laziness (who likes leaving the house anyway?). It's amazing just how much of the cost of a boxed game actually goes into the box, the disc, the logistics and the manufacturing process. That being said Steam barely funtions without an internet connection and of course if the net is down, I can't download something

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuzorloth View Post
    Steam is my personal lord and savior, appealing to both my wallet and my laziness (who likes leaving the house anyway?). It's amazing just how much of the cost of a boxed game actually goes into the box, the disc, the logistics and the manufacturing process. That being said Steam barely funtions without an internet connection and of course if the net is down, I can't download something
    It's ironic that you mention how much of the cost of the game goes into the box and logistics and manufacturing process when steam sells games for 20 % overprice.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will ALWAYS buy boxed games given the choice. Something about having to rely on a company to hold my game forever bothers me. I like being able to reformat whenever and get my computer up and running fast. Plus, down the road I don't expect companies to hold games forever, and my friends and I just build PC's to run old games specifically (gogo Win95!)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    There is one advantage that physical media will have over down loadable media is that with the physical media will still be playable (outside of MMO's) if the publisher goes out of business. Down loadable material may not be recoverable if the company is shut down and no one takes over support for the IP.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like to fill my blank shelf with something and that's the game boxes I buy.

Boxes are nice, i dont rly feel like owning a game if i dont own a box, and besides... what if your hard drive dies, would you want to be in my place and download everything all over again with a 1Mbps connection?