Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ppr View Post
    WOTLK allowed more slacking. You can solo 3-5 man quests. The new (experimental) raiding system made raiding and gathering gear mind numbing and static. The WOTLK generation takes getting epics, and this game for granted.

The Cataclysm generation will breed a smarter generation of new players. Why?

- You have "Jump out of the shit" quests at lower levels. And even in low-level encounters.
    - You have more difficult low-level instances, with special, and harder encounters. Bosses have more HP, etc.
    - You have new, inteligent quests around the world. Some quests that teaches you stuff you need at high-end gaming.
    - Overall, you are teached important skills early. And there is more learning at lower levels, instead of the "kill kill, gather gather" mind numbing style.
    - The whole game is helping you. The UI and the helping system.
    - etc, etc, etc. You name it!

WOTLK made WoW a game where you stand in Dalaran. Your job is to gather epics by going heroic after heroic to get emblems for your "free gear". Wotlk made a generation of spoiled players. This is true...

If you are a new player now, ENJOY IT. Because WOTLK was a "bad" time for starting. This game is better than ever for new players!

Oh, the story:

I ran RFC with my friends last night. The tank left after the fel-boss in the middle. Skipping level 15 instances, come on? Another WOTLK error.
    you clearly see the HCs from +ulduar gear yes?

Just a few things you ignore totally:
    Azjol Nerub:
    Anub Arak does a casted attack that could kill you in pre-heroic and heroic gear if shit came down and you were supposed to move out. also he had pound that still kills a lot of stupid players.
    Hadranox needs you to stay away from AE attacks and focussing on her.
    The elders tought you how to singlepull groups and focus target.
    disspelling on adds

Halls of Lightning:
    loken needed you to move away from him at the right time. as well did the second and third boss.
    the first boss needed to be pulled at the right time and had a whirlwind.

CoT4:
    coordinated fight for fast kill with regeneration pauses timed

Oculus:
    not even starting to count what you needed to do here! Line of sight, kite, positioning, mounted combat, interrupts!

Halls of Stone:
    out of AE, knockback runaway AE stun thing, AE avoidance overall, every boss. disspelling and MC knowledge

gundrak:
    getting friends out of snakes, walk out of stationary AE, kite, interrupt, positioning, topping off the tank before healer gets impaled

draktharon:
    special fight mechanic, fear, adds during boss, line of sight (for the achievement and if you had a really weak group)

VH:
    kiting, AE avoidance, specific add control during bossfight, dragon mechanic, using items to win (water boss)

Nexus:
    interrupts, timing with boss attacks, targetswitching, AE avoidance, spellreflect mechanic and constant moving

FoS:
    AE, boss selfheal, interrupts, spellreflect, CC, ae avoidance, movement

PoS:
    stack mechanic resetting, AE avoidance, resistance mechanic, kiting, kiting enraged boss over ice, moving away from friends to avoid mass freeze..

HoR:
    massive CC, AE avoidance, topping off group, recovering low HP, debuff mechanics, focus dmg

remember that content is supposed to be hard if you have lower gear. if you have equal gear why do the content? so doing HoR in TotGC gear wasnt supposed to be hard. the only thing you dont get taught in 5man are things you cant do like tank-swaps and other stuff you just dont have the number of people for.

People forget where they were and think its been this 10min nexus running since wotlk was out. thats plain BS. most people I know to be in ICC25 or ICC10HC still die from haigan! so no, dont expect cata to change anything about it as we will overgear instances sooner or later and the mechanics are everything but new we get there!

There is a reason why Professor Putricide, sindy and LK heroic are not something everybody has packed in their achievement bag. not even in 10man! If it werent for 10k dps players and nerfs to it, most players wouldnt have even dreamed about getting the red protodrake !!!
    Ill have to put many exclamation marks here for the ignorance and forgetting people are showing to wrath. I did TDM heroic with some difficulties back in TBC and I had merely kara gear and was partially blue (tank bear) and thats what we should expect from being geared like that. No one I know with t5 had problems doing the instance and I know many that still dont do that one solo for the adds can still nuke them if they hit a couple of times.
    Last edited by mmocdbbb194638; 2010-11-26 at 10:28 AM.

Deleted
    tl;dr

But I tell you man, some players... Like just earlier I was tanking a random 5 man, and I try to tell a hunter in the group that he should go survival instead of MM until he gets his armor pen. up. He just goes on about how there's going to be a gear reset soon and stuff, and then has the audacity to comment on me tanking in resilience gear!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zackkaufen View Post
    So giving people advice makes you a "nothing-better-to-do-in-life-but-raider" ? There can be discussion about specs, gear etc without brainless arguing.

---------- Post added 2010-11-26 at 10:22 AM ----------

You said Wrath makes it impossible to fail but you also said you've never been to ICC. Most people judge their success rate on their progress. No-one actually pays any attention to gearscore.

I'm not judging you for not raiding, I'm just saying getting a high gearscore and lots of JP soon after dinging is not 'success'.
    ICC is one of the raids. And in normal mode, it is impossible to fail, so you mean the HC mode.
    It's no the harderst of encounters, still, it is not easy. But that is ONE raid.

ICC does not set an expample for the whole expansion. Did ICC breed smarter players when it arrived? No, because it is to easy for people with minimal effort to gain good gear and achievements. You can get T9, which is supposed to be the second best tier in the game, just by standing in dalaran, leeching "heroics". Heroics that demands you to stand there...

Is it to much to ask to actually do something for your gear?

---------- Post added 2010-11-26 at 11:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by akuaku View Post
    you clearly see the HCs from +ulduar gear yes?

Just a few things you ignore totally:
    Azjol Nerub:
    Anub Arak does a casted attack that could kill you in pre-heroic and heroic gear if shit came down and you were supposed to move out. also he had pound that still kills a lot of stupid players.
    Hadranox needs you to stay away from AE attacks and focussing on her.
    The elders tought you how to singlepull groups and focus target.
    disspelling on adds

Halls of Lightning:
    loken needed you to move away from him at the right time. as well did the second and third boss.
    the first boss needed to be pulled at the right time and had a whirlwind.

CoT4:
    coordinated fight for fast kill with regeneration pauses timed

Oculus:
    not even starting to count what you needed to do here! Line of sight, kite, positioning, mounted combat, interrupts!

Halls of Stone:
    out of AE, knockback runaway AE stun thing, AE avoidance overall, every boss. disspelling and MC knowledge

gundrak:
    getting friends out of snakes, walk out of stationary AE, kite, interrupt, positioning, topping off the tank before healer gets impaled

draktharon:
    special fight mechanic, fear, adds during boss, line of sight (for the achievement and if you had a really weak group)

VH:
    kiting, AE avoidance, specific add control during bossfight, dragon mechanic, using items to win (water boss)

Nexus:
    interrupts, timing with boss attacks, targetswitching, AE avoidance, spellreflect mechanic and constant moving

FoS:
    AE, boss selfheal, interrupts, spellreflect, CC, ae avoidance, movement

PoS:
    stack mechanic resetting, AE avoidance, resistance mechanic, kiting, kiting enraged boss over ice, moving away from friends to avoid mass freeze..

HoR:
    massive CC, AE avoidance, topping off group, recovering low HP, debuff mechanics, focus dmg

remember that content is supposed to be hard if you have lower gear. if you have equal gear why do the content? so doing HoR in TotGC gear wasnt supposed to be hard. the only thing you dont get taught in 5man are things you cant do like tank-swaps and other stuff you just dont have the number of people for.

People forget where they were and think its been this 10min nexus running since wotlk was out. thats plain BS. most people I know to be in ICC25 or ICC10HC still die from haigan! so no, dont expect cata to change anything about it as we will overgear instances sooner or later and the mechanics are everything but new we get there!
    Are you kidding me? I played from the start to.
    I wont even answer on that list of abilities that are meant to be challenging.

Listen.

In Cataclysm, we are not "forced" to run instances that are way below our level of gear to gain the highest currency. Raiders can do raids to gain it, and non-raiders can do Heroics.

And did you know that WOTLK made the highest item-level jump EVER ingame when new content arrived? As i said, huge experiment by blizzard.
    This made us overgear instances like FFFUCK.

And this made the "heroics" patheticly easy. I played since the start, i know the heroics were somehow challenging the first few months ingame.
    Last edited by Winfernal; 2010-11-26 at 10:29 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroape View Post
    "Wrath Baby" is a term invented by wrath babies who want to elevate themselves from other wrath babies.

Personally I never cared much for people stupidity - it's a fact that WotLK PvE has been a cake walk in almost every regard - it doesn't matter if you were a die-hard theorycrafter and creative player or just an ignorant, lazy retard - you will still achieve your goals.

Beacuse WotLK made it imposible for anyone to fail, no matter how much they sucked.

Came back a month ago (after a year break), left my old warrior which I had since 2005 behind. Leveled a new Warr from scratch on a new server, 2 weeks from dinging I'm 5,6 / 4,9 gs fury/prot, capped on 4k JP and HP, almost maxed 2 crafting profs and epic flying .
    Haven't set foot in ICC and due to work/personal schedule I only play roughly 4 nights a week...

I mean... if this is not a cake walk than what is??
    Ah. Now I understand where are you people are coming from. You actually think that this is good. You think that this is good gear, and that you have accomplished something by doing this. Go get you a LK kill, 25 man, and then come back. Go get 12/12 HM and come back to us. This game is not lol-faceroll easy. It's just easy to get a set of full 245 gear. Please don't be confused that gear = skill.

People who have killed LK HM, Algalon, Yogg +0, and OS 3drakes, at progression lvl did not say that the game was easy. They enjoyed the challange.

To be clear, it was 9 weeks before the first kill LK 25 HM. Too easy? I think not.
    Cheers.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adulax View Post
    Ah. Now I understand where are you people are coming from. You actually think that this is good. You think that this is good gear, and that you have accomplished something by doing this. Go get you a LK kill, 25 man, and then come back. Go get 12/12 HM and come back to us. This game is not lol-faceroll easy. It's just easy to get a set of full 245 gear. Please don't be confused that gear = skill.

People who have killed LK HM, Algalon, Yogg +0, and OS 3drakes, at progression lvl did not say that the game was easy. They enjoyed the challange.

To be clear, it was 9 weeks before the first kill LK 25 HM. Too easy? I think not.
    Cheers.
    This is not about the HC raiders only. This is about the WoW population as a whole. So you can stop with the "ICC IZ SO HARDCORE LULZ" argument...

This is about how new players, and old ones are fitting in this game. This is about how this game works as a whole. Name the hardest encounters ever ingame, but you cant deny that WOTLK breeded a new generation of mindless zombie-players.
    Last edited by Winfernal; 2010-11-26 at 10:34 AM.

Deleted
    ICC is one of the raids. And in normal mode, it is impossible to fail, so you mean the HC mode.
    It's no the harderst of encounters, still, it is not easy. But that is ONE raid.

ICC does not set an expample for the whole expansion. Did ICC breed smarter players when it arrived? No, because it is to easy for people with minimal effort to gain good gear and achievements. You can get T9, which is supposed to be the second best tier in the game, just by standing in dalaran, leeching "heroics". Heroics that demands you to stand there...

Is it to much to ask to actually do something for your gear?
    You completey misunderstood his point. Everyone can get extremely nice gear at this point (4.01, lol), but if you haven't been progressing through any raids equal to your gear level (can't progress PvP wise atm) then you can hardly say you've achieved anything but reaching the level cap.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    You completey misunderstood his point. Everyone can get extremely nice gear at this point (4.01, lol), but if you haven't been progressing through any raids equal to your gear level (can't progress PvP wise atm) then you can hardly say you've achieved anything but reaching the level cap.
    My opinion is that this expansion is, and have been one huge experiment. (WOTLK). Many new features that have never been tested before were implented here. And the raid-progression is one of them, and i believe it failed. They partially did to...

Im not talking about "now". This is pre-cata, lol. Im talking about the whole expansion. And the "feeling" of it...

Deleted
    Because gathering almost the best tier of gear, by literaly standing in Dalaran happened in Vanilla. Come on
    I don't blame Blizzard. It was experimental, and let's hope that they learned from it.

EDIT:
    Oh, misread! Sorry :P

---------- Post added 2010-11-26 at 11:02 AM ----------

No, it was just a bad time to start this game. Considering the whole expansion was a huge experiment from Blizzards side.
    to be exact in vanilla you got the best tier of gear by /follow on a healer as you needed 20 people thinking 5 not being afk and 15 people filling up spots you could fill. you had OUT OF COMBAT REZZERS they literally didnt do anything until somebody important died! hunters could do 2 attacks and were oom and did autoshot to dps. fury warriors had to have 2! items and did more aggro than the tank by autoattacking and otherwise not doing anything. look at the bosses in BWL and MC. almost nothing hard there.
    people tend to say "leet shit in vanilla" yeah right. take away the addons you have now and do content from now. unless you are already farming it you will fail more.

vanilla was, apart from certain bosses in AQ20/40, BWL and naxx piss easy. naxx was overtuned, not that the bosses were that hard, they just didnt give much room for fail. and with bigger pings, and 40 people the difficulty arose from that. try LK heroic with 40 people you will wipe, sorry cant find 40 people to be coordinated.

so unless people start to see why "it was hard" it doesnt make sense calling wotlk hard

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    to be exact in vanilla you got the best tier of gear by /follow on a healer as you needed 20 people thinking 5 not being afk and 15 people filling up spots you could fill. you had OUT OF COMBAT REZZERS they literally didnt do anything until somebody important died! hunters could do 2 attacks and were oom and did autoshot to dps. fury warriors had to have 2! items and did more aggro than the tank by autoattacking and otherwise not doing anything. look at the bosses in BWL and MC. almost nothing hard there.
    people tend to say "leet shit in vanilla" yeah right. take away the addons you have now and do content from now. unless you are already farming it you will fail more.

vanilla was, apart from certain bosses in AQ20/40, BWL and naxx piss easy. naxx was overtuned, not that the bosses were that hard, they just didnt give much room for fail. and with bigger pings, and 40 people the difficulty arose from that. try LK heroic with 40 people you will wipe, sorry cant find 40 people to be coordinated.

so unless people start to see why "it was hard" it doesnt make sense calling wotlk hard
    Look, i've did my part defending WOTLK to. And ive used those arguments. I dont love Vanilla, i didnt even play...
    Actually, i believe Vanilla is nostalgia-heaven.

But i love the balance they found between Vanilla and WOTLK for Cataclysm.

And i want the new generation of players to be good players, not mindless players. Thats why i love the "harder" feeling of lower levels in this game.
    And thats why i keep defending myself here, and not WOTLK. Because wotlk did nothing good to the wow generation...
    Last edited by Winfernal; 2010-11-26 at 10:44 AM.

Deleted
    This is not about the HC raiders only. This is about the WoW population as a whole. So you can stop with the "ICC IZ SO HARDCORE LULZ" argument...

This is about how new players, and old ones are fitting in this game. This is about how this game works as a whole. Name the hardest encounters ever ingame, but you cant deny that WOTLK breeded a new generation of mindless zombie-players.
    because those /afk sleepers in classic were afk and not brainless zombies. also thats the theme of woltk right? zombies?
    the most hard encounter at gearlevel is yogg+0 25player if you ask me. many mechanics of which some were unique at the time. and I cant see a pug downing yogg+0 25player even in icc gear. MC will cancel that possibility.

also this thread is about giving advice if not asked for it xD

You do not get the highest gear. tier yes but not gear. and its good that way. before wotlk encounters got nerfed until the low level could attempt them properly now they get better gear over time (because farming those frostbadges did take long if you didnt raid).
    however says woltk is easy all over is a) an idiot and b) a double idiot. its like saying math is easy to a kid that goes to preschool. only because you have "cleared the content" doesnt make it easier. if its "your level" its a good challenge. people that thought it was easy back then (too easy) dont even post here! the others saying it was easy back then cant remember, have red shades on or are plainly trolling.

btw I dont see how one can say t10 251 version is "current tier" as t9 was 258 topnotch.

I always give people adivice even if they don't ask me about it. Sue me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    To clarify a common misinterpretation; there were just as much stupid people
    I chuckled

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    because those /afk sleepers in classic were afk and not brainless zombies. also thats the theme of woltk right? zombies?
    the most hard encounter at gearlevel is yogg+0 25player if you ask me. many mechanics of which some were unique at the time. and I cant see a pug downing yogg+0 25player even in icc gear. MC will cancel that possibility.

also this thread is about giving advice if not asked for it xD

You do not get the highest gear. tier yes but not gear. and its good that way. before wotlk encounters got nerfed until the low level could attempt them properly now they get better gear over time (because farming those frostbadges did take long if you didnt raid).
    however says woltk is easy all over is a) an idiot and b) a double idiot. its like saying math is easy to a kid that goes to preschool. only because you have "cleared the content" doesnt make it easier. if its "your level" its a good challenge. people that thought it was easy back then (too easy) dont even post here! the others saying it was easy back then cant remember, have red shades on or are plainly trolling.

btw I dont see how one can say t10 251 version is "current tier" as t9 was 258 topnotch.
    I don't care about Vanilla!!

I care about now.

And haven't you highjacked a thread before?;D

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    deleted for being so far off topic. Advise with or without consent. Got it.

Now all that remains is to stay focused.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Adulax; 2010-11-26 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    Look, i've did my part defending WOTLK to. And ive used those arguments. I dont love Vanilla, i didnt even play...
    Actually, i believe Vanilla is nostalgia-heaven.

But i love the balance they found between Vanilla and WOTLK for Cataclysm.

And i want the new generation of players to be good players, not mindless players. Thats why i love the "harder" feeling of lower levels in this game.
    And thats why i keep defending myself here, and not WOTLK. Because wotlk did nothing good to the wow generation...
    buffing bad players instead of nerfing bosses is good. being able to slowly catch up instead of being at naxxlevel for 2 years is good. having heroics that basicly introduce the standard of many bossfights is good (check my earlier post). being able to switch to an even higher level once your gear is at par is good. being able to choose between 10 and 25 player is good. giving out free loot from VoA is good (skip a portion of the grind). removing direct setpiece tokens is good (less frustration).

letting players overgear the content - they now think is easy because of that fact.. arguable if good or bad. I say its good as a concept bad because people forget where they come form (still jenny from the block? no J-lo now man!).

Id love to /thread this but as its heavily opinionated its no use

TBC wasnt harder than now. yes it had less options to catch up. yes it was easier to die in heroics if you had kara gear. yes people votekick naxx-geared tank in heroics now because it would almost be a challenge.

While raiding with my guild I took personal care of the players that didnt do the job right so they learned to do it right. too much for random shit. its not like in cata people will miraculously learn to be better just because the game has a different philosophy. actually the philosophy is "talk less damage to the healer doesnt go oom". not much difference from wrath when healers could actually go oom only that it was mostly "do more damage so the boss dies before the healer goes oom". palas were misballenced and got switched to being misballenced when the cata philosophy was introduced. "squse me, i cant onebuttonmash and not go oom, wtf blizz" "ok ok here we still give you 10 buttons but at least you can still not go oom from it. also here a pvp functionality that you dont even have to think anymore when something hits you" "kkthx now ill aggro a weak add that keeps me buffs up so i dont have to think"

I was in a icc10hc raid with my alt healer. it was an alt raid of a pretty good raidguild. too bad they all did a role they dont do on their mains.. so their healers failed, the tank didnt know when to taunt and the DDs stood in AEs. theser were accomplished 25HC farmers and they failed on beginner encounters of 10man HC. I actually saved their asses by regging mana when there was the time and dumping it on the tank when it was needed where as their druid was oom before the tank got to get damage. i hardly ever have to put down manatide for others but that druid was out of mana, innervate and had my manatide. yeah he was top healer but when you looked at who saved the tanks ass it was me with over 60% of it. I was supposed to heal the raid btw.
    so there. stupid players will exist in cata and blizz will look to it that they can experience the game to its fullest and in 2 years people will open a similar thread will say how wrath was harder and do you remember how you had to watch out for shit and so on.

vanilla raiding was bullshit for most of the time but people thought it to be good while TBC. now TBC is super duper and wrath is fail-a-hoy. soon cata will be overtuned to WOA FUCK and after t11 people will start to farm stuff and in 2years time wrath is soo nice and in 4 years time cata was the chizz and so on. if wow persists until then.
    Last edited by mmocdbbb194638; 2010-11-26 at 11:35 AM. Reason: because i fail at english

So giving people advice makes you a "nothing-better-to-do-in-life-but-raider" ? There can be discussion about specs, gear etc without brainless arguing.

---------- Post added 2010-11-26 at 10:22 AM ----------

You said Wrath makes it impossible to fail but you also said you've never been to ICC. Most people judge their success rate on their progress. No-one actually pays any attention to gearscore.

I'm not judging you for not raiding, I'm just saying getting a high gearscore and lots of JP soon after dinging is not 'success'.
    Yeah I get kind of confused when people say "you can't fail in wotlk" lol. You can still wipe, thats the only form of "failure" wow has ever had.

And then people claiming the game is easy who are only in crap 232 gear are really something else lol. Thats like saying in Vanilla wow if i could clear UBRS easily then that means the game is easy... doesn't make any sense.

I wonder how long it will take for people to realize bad players will be bad and good players will be good. There are people who started in wotlk that I know that are better than people who have been here since vanilla. There actually were more bad players in Vanilla just nobody noticed it because most people (even people who pretended they were good back then) sucked.
    Last edited by yahtzo; 2010-11-26 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroape View Post
    "Wrath Baby" is a term invented by wrath babies who want to elevate themselves from other wrath babies.

Personally I never cared much for people stupidity - it's a fact that WotLK PvE has been a cake walk in almost every regard - it doesn't matter if you were a die-hard theorycrafter and creative player or just an ignorant, lazy retard - you will still achieve your goals.

Beacuse WotLK made it imposible for anyone to fail, no matter how much they sucked.

Came back a month ago (after a year break), left my old warrior which I had since 2005 behind. Leveled a new Warr from scratch on a new server, 2 weeks from dinging I'm 5,6 / 4,9 gs fury/prot, capped on 4k JP and HP, almost maxed 2 crafting profs and epic flying .
    Haven't set foot in ICC and due to work/personal schedule I only play roughly 4 nights a week...

I mean... if this is not a cake walk than what is??
    You didn't actually clarify that at any point you tried anything that was endgame or hardmode content. Yet you claim it's impossible to fail. Getting gear, leveling proffesions and getting 5k gold aren't things you are supposed to be able to fail at. You say you haven't set foot in ICC so how should you know what the raid content is like?

But well done for getting outdated gear with relative ease.

Deleted

To be very honest when I was coming back it was soley with Cata in mind - I just hoped to level a new char to 80, get the profs up and do it all before the expansion hits live. Raiding a content which will be irrelevant in 2 weeks was not high on my priority list - especially that I though it takes some effort to gear up for. Well, it turns out it doesn't - it's literaly a freebie. And in fact today I'm going to clear ICC with the guild I joined.

Basically I discovered it's not only possible but also piss easy to make up for year+ break in playtime within less than 2 weeks - which does not feel very epic at all...
    Last edited by mmocf6fffb19b5; 2010-11-26 at 11:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    I think its funny how people imply stupid people didnt exist in vanilla or BC
    main difference is that in vanilia at some point you were forced to start learning and using your brain or you could not do nothing.in WotLK you had alternatives that alowed you to continue to progress in full ignorance.at least this is my experience

ITT: People forget about PvP loot vending machines and the gear treadmills from vanilla.