10+ Year Old Account

Need a good, effective GPU before Cata :D

Looking to buy a Graphics Card before Cata. I don't need much, I just want to run WoW steadily. Like, let's say, 30 consistent frames during a fight like Marrowgar, or Sindragosa.
    My system has 4 Gigs of Ram and a 450W Power Supply, it can handle most games with ease, but I'm only using an integrated Graphics Card...and it sucks ._.

Suggestions! What kind of prices am I looking at? Where can I buy it? Will it be in my mailbox by/before Dec.7th?

EDIT:

Windows 7, 32 Bit, running 1366x768; If a new monitor is in my future it would most likely run at 1600x1200 or less.
    The exact name of my processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    The Graphics Card is a crappy "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family", according to my System Info

Also, I can afford a new Power Supply, but I know next to nothing about them.

Another Edit:
    The GeForce GTX 460 and the PowerColor HD6850 look like they can do what I want. Should I focus on my CPU and Power Supply to bolster my weak system?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2010-11-27 at 03:25 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

15+ Year Old Account
    CPU is what determines how well the game will run, not GPU. What CPU do you have?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

if he is using integrated graphics, any graphics card will greatly increase his performance

good value cards for wow: 4850, gts 450, gtx 460 768mb, gtx 470
    good value cards for other games; 6850, 6870
    Last edited by Kripparrian; 2010-11-26 at 08:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    and if it's integrated graphics the chances of his CPU being very powerful are quite slim
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    Looking to buy a Graphics Card before Cata. I don't need much, I just want to run WoW steadily. Like, let's say, 30 consistent frames during a fight like Marrowgar, or Sindragosa.

My system has 4 Gigs of Ram and a 450W Power Supply, it can handle most games with ease, but I'm only using an integrated Graphics Card...and it sucks ._.

Suggestions! What kind of prices am I looking at? Where can I buy it? Will it be in my mailbox by/before Dec.7th?
    There's not much you can do with that setup, however if you are able to run PCI Express x16 video cards, I highly recommend the XFX Radeon 6850. This is pretty much a much-improved version of the 5770 and/or 5830. It provides improved performance, better tesselation and consumes far far less power than any video card out there today, which would make it a good choice for your very limiting power supply. However, even with that you may very well be pushing it and might have to spring for a new power supply as well, or a new computer all around.

If at all possible, could you provide specifics on your system? It would make the process easier without speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kripparrian View Post
    if he is using integrated graphics, any graphics card will greatly increase his performance

good value cards for wow: 4850, gts 450, gtx 460 768mb, gtx 470
    good value cards for other games; 6850, 6870
    Add to that HD5670 and HD5770. Great value cards for WoW.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Get a GTX 460. I got an EVGA GTX 460, and I pretty much never drop below 30 fps at 1920x1080, except in super-crowded places.

And yes, it also relies on what CPU you're using. WoW is much more CPU-intensive than it is GPU-intensive. However, GPU REALLY helps with the new graphic effects (water, sunshafts, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Your PSU probably wont be sufficient for a 460, get a 6850 and enjoy a massive upgrade

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    CPU is what determines how well the game will run, not GPU. What CPU do you have?
    Heh, an Intel dual core 2 :P

Perhaps I should look into an ATI Quad or something?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

You'd need a new mobo then if you were gonna get an ATI quad core. But I'm not sure if you're reading this anymore, since you're apparently banned.

Dual core? BAH! Quad core or bust, I say. :P

Upgrading to a quad core alone would give you a good boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".