Questions to Inscriptioners

Hey there, I plan to get my Warlocks proffessions up in Cataclysm as either Alchemy or Inscription.

Now, alchemy I already know, i've had it on a few characters, and the annoying thing about it is, you have to drink a flask to get your proffession buff. It annoys me because it doesn't feel like my char got better, just feels like some flask improved me. Would have preferred a buff called Alchemically Enhanced or something permanently gained from the proffession.

Anyway, I am thinking about levelling Inscription as that proffession gives me a nice shoulder enchant that doesn't require any buff upkeeping. My main question is this:

Is milling the hell it looks to be?

I've seen quite a few nice macros that basically just mills whatever you want it to, by clicking one button, but this still seems like alot of time spamming one button.

Any words if they are fixing it in Cata, so that you can select it from your proffession tab and choose how many you want to mill?

Anyway, suggestions towards money making and usability in Cataclysm is wellcome. One thing however, the Sand Drake from alchemy means nothing to me, so it's not a motivating factor.

Milling isn't that annoying. Just keybind it and alternate between the button and a click.

Milling is hell, if you want to setup an industry. On the other hand, are you willing to have 3 bank alts with 4 inscriptions bags each full of glyphs? If the answer is no - milling is easy.

1st of all its called scribe!

okies serious stuff now. Here is your bread and butter macro
    /cast milling
    /use herb1
    /use herb2
    etc

eg for the high level northrend herbs i use
    /cast Milling
    /use Icethorn
    /use Lichbloom
    /use Adder's Tongue

Just keep the herbs a product of 5. That means if u got 38 icethorn, put the 3 in your bank. This macro will do everything for you. And it takes 2 second(milling +looting process). It isnt that time consuming. Will take you about a minute for 10 stacks. Protip: Watch a movie or something. Or l2 alt tab like maniac if u play in windowed mode.

Its easy to level it up if u got the mats compared to other profs. The problem is establishing a good market without get thrown of it from the "big boy". Havent tried it thought. Overall its a medium but usefull proffession. Easy to level up, hard to go for the big deal.
    English is not my native language and i type fast. So bare with my typos, like "jsut".

Important!Please read!

DO NOT LEVEL INSCRIPTION!

The inscription market has crashed!

To be specific Inscription is a waste of time. You blow loads of money on herbs to mill. It will take 80+ days to learn all the glyphs through research. Prices on the glyph mastery books are horrendous.

The scrolls are useless the enchant is replaceable.Every toon needs your service, they will only ever need it ONCE!

There is way too my competition unless you learn the hot in demand glyph of the month you will always be undercurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Important!Please read!

DO NOT LEVEL INSCRIPTION!

The inscription market has crashed!

To be specific Inscription is a waste of time. You blow loads of money on herbs to mill. It will take 80+ days to learn all the glyphs through research. Prices on the glyph mastery books are horrendous.

The scrolls are useless the enchant is replaceable.Every toon needs your service, they will only ever need it ONCE!

There is way too my competition unless you learn the hot in demand glyph of the month you will always be undercurt.
    Coming from a scribe who makes plenty of gold from inscription, this is just not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea since 4.03a Tuesday's launch i made around 30k of gold, but i know 90% of the total glyphs. It is true people only use them once, but alot of players have more then one toon and with worgen's coming!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can still make a few thousand a day from my Scribe, the market is booming on my server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post

/cast milling
    /use herb1
    /use herb2
    etc
    <snip>

Its easy to level it up if u got the mats compared to other profs. The problem is establishing a good market without get thrown of it from the "big boy". Havent tried it thought. Overall its a medium but usefull proffession. Easy to level up, hard to go for the big deal.
    Actually with the mill macro ya have there if you have 2 of herb 1 and 5 of herb 2 it'll glitch and not mill herb 2 as it's looking for 5 of herb 1. An easier way is to have the disenchanter addon Enchantrix? I think and set up a keybind to click the yes button. That way it will mill what ever you have 5 of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post

/cast milling
    /use herb1
    /use herb2
    etc

eg for the high level northrend herbs i use
    /cast Milling
    /use Icethorn
    /use Lichbloom
    /use Adder's Tongue

Just keep the herbs a product of 5. That means if u got 38 icethorn, put the 3 in your bank. This macro will do everything for you. And it takes 2 second(milling +looting process). It isnt that time consuming. Will take you about a minute for 10 stacks. Protip: Watch a movie or something. Or l2 alt tab like maniac if u play in windowed mode.

theyre not called scribes...
    they're called inscriptionatorificationizers :P

I stopped reading after "inscriptioner" - but seriously...EVERY profession has the potential to make a lot of money if you know how to manipulate the AH...some people think it's too hard, but there have been consistent and time-tested ways of cornering markets for as long as auctions have existed in this and other games. What most people aren't willing to do is take the TIME required to turn a real profit. Stop caring about how much others' are making on this or that server, with this or that profession.

If you're a scribe, remember the importance of herbalism, corner the market, keep constant watch on a particular hot item, whether it's a material or the glyph itself, and capitalize on it. With the release of Cataclysm, the idea that all professions will have value only increases. Think of all the new characters that will be rolling out of the starter zones in the first month. My advice - stock up now, if you haven't already, and research inscription as it stands in Cataclysm (see the main page of mmo champ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Yewdye View Post
    I stopped reading after "inscriptioner" - but seriously...EVERY profession has the potential to make a lot of money if you know how to manipulate the AH...some people think it's too hard, but there have been consistent and time-tested ways of cornering markets for as long as auctions have existed in this and other games. What most people aren't willing to do is take the TIME required to turn a real profit. Stop caring about how much others' are making on this or that server, with this or that profession.

If you're a scribe, remember the importance of herbalism, corner the market, keep constant watch on a particular hot item, whether it's a material or the glyph itself, and capitalize on it. With the release of Cataclysm, the idea that all professions will have value only increases. Think of all the new characters that will be rolling out of the starter zones in the first month. My advice - stock up now, if you haven't already, and research inscription as it stands in Cataclysm (see the main page of mmo champ?).
    not engineering. They took away money making when they made ammo unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenGirl View Post
    not engineering. They took away money making when they made ammo unnecessary.
    you mean i cant make money selling those northrend wormhole generators?

back on topic, scribes suck. spend time on JC or enchanting, you have a better chance to make money. every time someone upgrades gear they will need your services. scribes not so much as the glyphs are learned once and done. it spiked after 4.0.1 as many glyphs were going for 100g each but has since come back down. plus now the ink trader in dalaran doesnt want ink of the sea anymore, you have to spend time farming herbs in the old world - a tedious task since portals are gone and flying is not yet available. darkmoon cards are still nice but a pain. again prior to the patch there was a huge demand for those insane people but now has dropped back down. i spent too much time to change my profession on my alt and my guild doesnt really have any others so will stick with it. i do regret it and wish i took up JC or enchanting or even alchemy.

hopefully blizz has something in the works to make it more relevant. it be nice that the ink trader would start taking my ink of the seas as they are starting to build up.

i'd have to agree. inscription is expensive, but at cap, with a few sellable glyphs on your AH, you can easily make money, but it's tedious.

the hardest part of being a scribe now, is levelling up inscription before cata, since everyone has hit the cap (as well as the whole problem of permanent glyphs making them less desirable)

i could not imagine how expensive it would be without herbalism now, the vendor change has made levelling herbalism better (xp gains, 50g for a stack of herbs in lv20 areas, etc. ) than levelling inscription. you can always drop herbalism and level up a raid profession, i.e. JC / alchemy / tailoring, etc. for the stats bonuses. or double up herbalism with archaeology, etc.

the actual difficult part is being a scribe without herbalism. it is much tougher to make money this way, but also, you'll be in the eclipse/prep period where high level scribes are storing or farming the AH mats, and also flooding the AH with glyphs. if you're pushing above 100 -300 inscription, the mats will be veery expensive, and nothing will really sell in this bracket without you losing 80-95% of the gold spent in making it.

where someone is selling khadgar's for 50-60g a stack, a 20x stack typically creates enough pigment/ink for 2 glyphs, *if* the glyph is sold, it may only sell for <8g, or 30g to 40g, to 100g, so you make enough to buy 2-4 more glyphs, or lose 45g to create and sell one glyph.

if you're levelling inscrip, you won't sell many glyphs at first, it will be a money sink profession like enchanting or engineering or jewelcrafting, etc.. basically, buying the mats to create 50 glyphs, 20-25 stacks of herbs, 100x mills, 50x pigments to ink, 50x choosing glyphs to make (timeframe is about 8-12 glyphs/minute for bulk) at 1200g, will sell for an average of 30g. perhaps 50g, and then there's your local economy to deal with. to actually esll, you'll probably need to undercut, a lot.

blizz tried to solve this dilemma of levelling unpopular/unwanted items i.e. '+3 spirit for 45g vs +30 spirit for 3g' disparity, with the darkmoon cards, offhands, recall scrolls, enchanting vellum, etc. but vellum/ vanishing powder/disappearance is vendor sold in 4.0.3a / cataclysm, so there will be very expensive gaps (like JC/engineering/fishing/cooking/etc.) where you simply wont be able to get points without spending 1000g on mats, to sell one glyph for 3g18s each week.

bag space is another issue, creating or buying one of each glyph in current 4.0.3a requires about 344 spaces in your bags or your bank (that's 11 32x bags or 4 guild tabs at about 2k ), and about 80 or so (unsure) require daily research/glyph mastery. those will be lucrative, or more often, the market will be saturated on those glyphs that nobody wants.

i think inscription guides break it down better, but IDK. it can make money even now, but you'll need to check your AH for which of the 340+ glyphs you can a) make b) sell c) have ideally little to no competition on (research based glyphs) d) profit
    Last edited by toliman; 2010-11-30 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reveil View Post
    Milling is hell, if you want to setup an industry. On the other hand, are you willing to have 3 bank alts with 4 inscriptions bags each full of glyphs? If the answer is no - milling is easy.
    Better question to that is, will it be worth it to actually do come Cataclysm? By now everyone has the glyphs they need only their new alts will need it and will probably just ask in trade chat. Not sure if it'll be worth it to put up due to AH fees and not selling. Though Cataclysm has some other nice money makers for us.