[Cataclysm] Mastery Cap

I've red several guides and i'm searching for this information. Is there a Mastery Cap ?

I think that for MM it's self-explanatory : Mastery just grants on ranged attack a chance to fire an additional shot. So we can't have more than 100% chance to fire an additional shot.

But for SV, the mastery grants an increase of elemental damage. So it will be possible that mastery inscrease elemental damage more than a 100%. It's the same for BM.

So what do you think about it ?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what blizzard has indicated thus far, there won't be a mastery cap, at least until things get out of hand, at which point they can always tune the numbers with relative ease.

its like another arp but for every class, it will be OP on the end of expansion like arp was imo

too much mastery for marksmen means infinite free shots

Not infinite but technicly it would be possible that for MM every single shot you shoot that the chance for Wild Quiver to proc would be 100%. Technicly Surv and BM don't have that problem.

However to reach that "cap" for MM it would be the following calculation:

Base of 14.1% chance and increased by 1.8% for every Mastery Point.

So to cover that complete 100% you need to have (100% - 14.1%) / 1.8%/MP = 47.7222 Mastery Points

I believe the conversion rate at level 85 is 180 Mastery Rating for 1 Mastery Point (correct me on this if I'm wrong)

So that makes 8590 Mastery Rating need to get the cap at level 85. That is an insane amount that probably through conventional means won't be hit.

@sawier

Not true, the problem with arp was that it scaled exponential instead of linear. This resulted the stat to scale very bad when you could only collect low amounts of it on gear and scale very good (better than all the other stats who more/less scale linear) once you could have a lot of it. All tree Masteries have the same linear (y = ax + b) type of formula as you can clearly see. So this problem won't occur anymore.
    Creator of the Hunter Got Focus Add-On, your best overview in deciding what to do with your focus!

To reach 100% WQ proc it would take 9,112 Mastery Rating. Not an 'over 9000' joke either. That's how much it actually takes at 85. It might be interesting to think about, but it's nothing you'll ever worry about in game.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sawier View Post
    its like another arp but for every class, it will be OP on the end of expansion like arp was imo
    the biggest reason they made mastery is so they have a "tuning knob" on classes so there intent seems to be keeping arp under control

But with end game stuff, the mastery cap seems to be not so far when you look at number like 300 mastery rating on 1 blue basic item.

Theorically, if we reach the amount of 8000 mastery rating and tilt the cap, i'm wondering how works WQ, 1 free shot per shots? if it's the case that's insane.

Yes for every shot you fire (maybe a few exceptions on things like concussive shot or the like, haven't realy tested it) Wild Quiver can proc, shooting an extra arrow that deals 115% weapon damage.

I wouldn't see why you couldn't tilt the cap to indeed the point where every shot you fire also sends off that additional Wild Quiver shot, the only things stopping you from doing that is the amount of Mastery Rating that is going to be available.
    Creator of the Hunter Got Focus Add-On, your best overview in deciding what to do with your focus!

Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    From what blizzard has indicated thus far, there won't be a mastery cap, at least until things get out of hand, at which point they can always tune the numbers with relative ease.
    This,
    I would also say that a 100% mastery for an arms warrior would be VERY OP, Imagine every attack you are doing x2, it'd be like AssKandhi proccing off of a sword proc off of itself like it used to do at 60
    Last edited by Leetgarg; 2010-11-28 at 12:39 PM.

Good luck getting 100% on any of those abilities! Even if every piece of gear had 500 mastery on them--an impossible scenario given that not every item is created equal with allocated itemization points--you'd only end up with 8000 mastery before gemming. Testing shows that mastery just isn't that great for most classes compared to your primary stat at 85 thanks to the brutal decay, although it's far from useless(usually), but I doubt gemming straight mastery would ever be attractive.

As an example, I'll compare a piece of ilevel 200 DK gear of the same slot to a 277 piece. 200 chestpiece has 60 crit and 72 haste, for a combined total of 132. 277 piece has 122 crit and 106 haste for a combined total of 228, or about 170% greater rating itemization. If we weigh these results against the 359 T11 DK chest(essentially the same as the ilevel 200 chest) and increase it by the same amount, we can surmise that--assuming an equal number of ilevels or equivalent between the lowest and highest tier--the end result should have in the neighborhood of 700 points split between two stats, which is roughly a 54%/46% split between ratings stats. You'll find the same split applies to each piece of armor in this example.

707 rating split 54/46 is(approximately, no exacts here) 381/325. This is theoretically the highest you'll see on any of your 16 pieces of gear, and it's not quite 500 at all. It's also important to note that it's been said by blues that the ilevel increase got a little out of hand in wotlk, so the end result will likely be a smaller ilevel increase, and thus fewer stats if all goes as planned in Cata. But really, when does anything go as planned?
    Last edited by Kanzel; 2010-11-28 at 01:19 PM.

Ok, the mastery cap isn't easy to reach but it's not impossible. We can just calculate a cap with trinket. When i see numbers like 200 MRating on blue gear in heroic, i can imagine that epic gear in heroic raid would have more Mrating. Then imagine the amount of Mrating on epic gear from raid T13.

And if we dont reach the mastery cap (8000), we can use trinket like Skardyn's grace (proc 1425 Mrating). So the cap will be around 6575 (more attainable).

By the way, if we don't reach 100%, 80% still OP imo -).

And it procs from every shot including silence shot and Concussive Shot

Quote Originally Posted by yoman View Post
    And it procs from every shot including silence shot and Concussive Shot
    If this is true than hunters at a certain point when they have a free cooldown available could get tempted to shoot a Concussive shot as it might proc Wild Quiver for some extra damage, always handy, although the main priority would remain not to get focus starved off course...

Deleted
    No worries blizzard wont left us to reach numbers like these.I don`t think we will be able to get more that 40% with balanced tr3 raid gear

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    No worries blizzard wont left us to reach numbers like these.I don`t think we will be able to get more that 40% with balanced tr3 raid gear
    Blizz never initially wanted ArP to get passively capped either... That happened. A thing I've learned in this game is that if someone says something is impossible, someone will make it a priority to go out and do it. As an example: Completing every achievement in the game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetgarg View Post
    Blizz never initially wanted ArP to get passively capped either... That happened. A thing I've learned in this game is that if someone says something is impossible, someone will make it a priority to go out and do it. As an example: Completing every achievement in the game...
    Soo true, It's human nature to attempt to do what others tell you is impossible.
    To quote my engineering professor:

"Through hard work and determination the improbable becomes the possible. The impossible just takes a little longer..."