Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outside your window... sit up straighter, that's bad for your posture!

Exclamation A New Scam - Screenshots of a convincing scam page!

Normally I'm a very cautious guy and these emails that my "account is under questions" and other terrible attempts to scam my account information don't get past me, nor my Web Page Security that alerts me to forged pages etc. However, today I got an email and.. I almost fell for it. It was very well put together, very well written, and the web page itself didn't trigger my forgery alert, and seemed to be the real deal.

But then I noticed two little differences that saved me, and to be sure I went to the actual Battle.net page manually and saw that my "Remember Me" option was still in effect and I didn't need to log in. This screenshot is the fake page and I highlighted in red the subtle differences that made me realize it was a scam.

The Scam Page:
    http://img841.imageshack.us/i/scampage.jpg/

And here is the Real Page:
    http://img19.imageshack.us/i/truepage.jpg/

Even the email that was sent was ALMOST 100% accurate but it too had a few subtle differences I didn't catch at first. I even went to my actual Battle.net page and changed my information to receive an email to compare the two side by side.

Fake Email: There is a slightly different lay out and there is no name after the "Hello," at the Top line, it also includes phone numbers when the actual email has no phone numbers in it.

Sender: noreply @ blizzard.com
    Subject: Battle.net Account - Account Change Notice

Hello,

This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through the Account Management website.

*** If you made recent account changes, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** If you did NOT make any changes to your account, we recommend you log in to Account Management review your account settings.

If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to happen, please contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for further assistance.

Billing & Account Services can be reached at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499 Mon-Fri, 8AM-8PM Pacific Time) or at billing @ blizzard. com.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The Battle.net Support Team
    Blizzard Entertainment
    www. blizzard . com /support
    Online Privacy Policy
    Here is the REAL Email for a change in account information:

Sender: Blizzard Entertainment
    Subject: Battle.net Account - Contact Information Updated

Hello Dairios,

This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through Battle.net Account Management. If you recently made changes to your account information, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** However, if you did NOT make any recent changes to your account information, we recommend you change your password and make appropriate corrections as soon as possible to ensure account security.

You can log in to Account Management at the following link to review your account settings:
    http://www.battle.net/account

If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to occur, click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions or contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The Battle.net Support Team
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Online Privacy Policy
    I hope this helps if you happen across this as well, and hopefully it'll help you catch the one email that may trick you in the future!
    Last edited by Dairios; 2010-11-28 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Edited to remove the few links that popped up I didn't mean for
    "Is it a crime to know the truth? Is it sin to reach for those things which you fear?" - Schwarzvald

This is kinda frightening, thanks for sharing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dairios View Post
    the subtle differences
    lol

We wouldn't need locks for our lockboxes if there was no thievery in the world right Pile?

Its really not that hard to tell a fake email from the real deal, anything that doesnt have battle.net as the sender is fake, simplez.

Deleted
    Don't even go on that website.

P.S This isn't new and posting about it will get you a ban. BAN HAMMER INC!

Deleted
    Nah, don't ban him. He's being social and helpful. For instance I just now saw that particular scam, so thanks, who knows if I wouldn't click it out of habit I need to learn to look for the more subtle hints as well.

When you get an email from Blizzard (or even if it's fake), always go to battle.net manually. Most of the times, they're luring you by email and that's where they get you. Never trust a link in the mail AT ALL even if it's the real deal. Always go to battle.net by typing it in.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

Deleted
    Seriously ^^, dodgy one contains as follows:
    StarCraft?II
    Diablo?III
    ?2010 Blizzard blablabla
    not to mention that stupidly large cocked up web address, how could you even consider this as real cmon, its good compared to some ive seen but still clearly a fake. Random ? in places must have flicked a light on!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamorak View Post
    Its really not that hard to tell a fake email from the real deal, anything that doesnt have battle.net as the sender is fake, simplez.
    WARNING! THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Faking an email address is trivially easy - when I was at college, my friends and I would regularly send eachother emails with the sent from address as "GOD", "ADMIN" e.t.c.

In other words - don't trust the email address to be true, and if you are at all worried about blizz emails - *NEVER* click links - always type the address in manually. (That is, the correct battle net address, not whatever it says in the email ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by Renwin View Post
    When you get an email from Blizzard (or even if it's fake), always go to battle.net manually. Most of the times, they're luring you by email and that's where they get you. Never trust a link in the mail AT ALL even if it's the real deal. Always go to battle.net by typing it in.
    this guys is right... i never click on any link i always go 2 my battlenet account myself to see whats what
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Well that's a relief. I've gotten a ton of these recently, and I was kind of confused, and thought someone may be attempting to hack my account. I always go to the site manually, though, and I don't click links in the e-mails.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside your window... sit up straighter, that's bad for your posture!
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOGG View Post
    StarCraft?II
    Diablo?III
    ?2010 Blizzard blablabla
    not to mention that stupidly large cocked up web address, how could you even consider this as real cmon, its good compared to some ive seen but still clearly a fake. Random ? in places must have flicked a light on!
    Truth be told, I didn't actually notice those few ?'s in the picture till I went back at your post and had another look! Mark that up to 3 little faults then xD
    "Is it a crime to know the truth? Is it sin to reach for those things which you fear?" - Schwarzvald

it's easy enough to tell if it's a scam. anytime you get a supposed blizz e-mail, mouse over the link(but do not click), and look on your browser where it shows the loading/done/etc... information(lower left for firefox). for most of them, it should display where the link -actually- goes.

if you're still not sure if it's real or not, like already said, manually type the battle.net address instead of clicking the link. You should never actually click links in your e-mails anyways.

Chinese people(Gold Farmers) never give up.. do they?

Deleted
    As people said. If you think its real, go to Battle.net to check if anything happend to your account. I notcied the other day that the real mails go to my inbox, and the fakes go to my spam mail. (it got locked for some wierd reason)

and theres fake mails that end with battle.net aswell, but as I said, they all go to my spam mail.

<normal address>.supporsafe-management.com

This isn't subtle.

Scam emails:
    1. Mouseover the link in the email
    2. Compare the destination at the bottom of the screen with what you know to be legit (http://www.battle.net/account)
    3. ???
    4. Profit

i have received several of these emails recently and the best way to tell them apart from real ones is to just hover over the link to the battle net website.
    http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/y...nt=bsemail.jpg
    the website address is just stupid and if it is different from just battle.net ignore the email its clearly fake

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAsleep View Post
    Don't even go on that website.

P.S This isn't new and posting about it will get you a ban. BAN HAMMER INC!
    &

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOGG View Post
    StarCraft?II
    Diablo?III
    ?2010 Blizzard blablabla
    Seriously, what's your problems smartasses? ..

I for one am very gratefull for this "heads up" .. That scam is by far one of the best I've seen made against the Battlenet security,

Thanks Dairios!

10+ Year Old Account
    If I saw that email I would have thought it to be fake right away fake emails allways open with something like:
    Hello,
    Hello Player,
    Dear player,
    This will 90% of the time be the case except for if they have gotten your Email from a website where you openly post your name.

Blizzard will ALLWAYS open with:
    Hello (Name here),
    Check for your self,
    But if you are unsure allways go into the website manually, just to be safe