Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

I mac for wow ?? How do they compare

Hey currently I have a crappy Toshiba laptop, and gonna get a apple computer for Xmas, the price range is around £1400 max currently I run all my graphics setting on low when I play wow. In dala I get around 5-12 FPS stable, in 25 man raids like 5 stable and its getting to much feel like I dont wanna play because of it.

Because I havent posted alot i cant link yet but basicaly my Toshiba has a 2GB RAM and a intel core 2duo CPU

and the imac im thinking of getting has 8GB RAM and an I3 processer, how do you think it will compare to the Toshiba cant say much more cuz the the thread says I cant post links, even thought i typed it all out

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Macs play WoW just fine. Like most computers the more ram you have the better off you are. Additionally on Macs there is a built in video recording feature in WoW. If the only thing holding you back from getting that iMac is WoW then go right ahead and get it. You will be just fine.

Cant say im an expert on macs but but for £1400 you can get a pretty powerful pc... easily capable of playing wow on max settings and having no problems.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

15+ Year Old Account
    not to point out the obvious, but you're asking how an 8GB RAM i3 processor Mac will fair up to your current 2GB RAM core 2Duo laptop?

I mean... it seems pretty clear that it'll be better....

i can say it will run much smoother i have a macbook pro with 4gb ram and an i7 processor, and everything is running very smoothly. 40-50fps in dalaran, 60-70 elsewhere, with high graphical settings

btw, i should recommend getting atleast an i5 processor, and 8gb is quite the overkill

Quote Originally Posted by chilsberry123 View Post
    Hey currently I have a crappy Toshiba laptop, and gonna get a apple computer for Xmas, the price range is around £1400 max currently I run all my graphics setting on low when I play wow. In dala I get around 5-12 FPS stable, in 25 man raids like 5 stable and its getting to much feel like I dont wanna play because of it.

Because I havent posted alot i cant link yet but basicaly my Toshiba has a 2GB RAM and a intel core 2duo CPU

and the imac im thinking of getting has 8GB RAM and an I3 processer, how do you think it will compare to the Toshiba cant say much more cuz the the thread says I cant post links, even thought i typed it all out
    You only need 4GB of RAM. Spend the extra money on a better video card

Deleted
    Cheers, yh kind of an obvious question d3v however I have read up alot and some forums say macs just cannot hold wow and it runs crap, just wanted to make sure I will also be running things like photoshop and logic studio on it will that make any difference to how the pc runs? ( Dont know anything about computers really)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    My iMac can run on all highest at around 114 FPS during combat.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cheers, yh kind of an obvious question d3v however I have read up alot and some forums say macs just cannot hold wow and it runs crap, just wanted to make sure I will also be running things like photoshop and logic studio on it will that make any difference to how the pc runs? ( Dont know anything about computers really)
    Just a heads up, but depending on what version of Photoshop you choose to run it may or may not be able to handle all the ram in your computer.

Deleted
    The apple store dont let you customise like they used to I cant upgrade the graphis card or the I5 processor , cuz i cant link it if you guys wanna check it out in full, just on on to the apple store/uk its the £999 I mac with the extra 4GB RAM added

I have both mac and pc. Normally i play wow on pc (21" screen, great mouse and keyboard) but i've installed wow on my macbook (pro 13") everything is great; no errors, steady fps, good wifi connection (router in same room)
    So Mac Os is friendly to world of warcraft, however you might want to change stock mouse and keyboard for gaming ones, gl

Deleted
    Patrickstarr, what imac have you got? whats the specc

---------- Post added 2010-11-28 at 03:54 PM ----------

Yh lol, ill just plug my naga raza in it, and logi tech G15 not a big fan of the magic mouse

I play on a Mac Pro and it runs flawlessly. My only warning (and I don't know if this is all Macs or just my own problem) is that the high quality shadows and the new realistic water effects are disabled on the Mac client.

Quote Originally Posted by SimmisterSimm View Post
    I play on a Mac Pro and it runs flawlessly. My only warning (and I don't know if this is all Macs or just my own problem) is that the high quality shadows and the new realistic water effects are disabled on the Mac client.
    euhm, the realistic water effects & high quality shadows work just fine here (macbook pro)

Deleted
    You don't need more than 4 GB's of ram and a decent dual core to handle wow at maximum. Simply because it won't use more than that even if you have it ( bla bla wow won't use all cores bla bla wow is 64bit bla bla tehnical nonsense bla bla). You should be more than ok wi that new thingie .

Off topic: It's weird, I have almost the same power that you have (2GB DDR and 2GHz dual core) only that I use a PC and I don't drop under 40 FPS.

I wouldnt normally do this and I know it's against the rules, but you're getting £1400 for a christmas present?
    How rich are you fucking parents?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a gaming pc, do not purchase anything from Apple. Build it yourself starting with an intel chip or get someone to help you if you're not really into computers. Another option is a site like cyberpower, which isn't always spot-on, but should help you know what to look for/get started. I say this primarily because getting a mac to run games with the fluidity of a gaming-minded PC, will cost you probably twice as much money.

Deleted
    haha vidal, m8 its for my music tech course but i want a good wow pc also over 2 years + i need an upgrade pc had same 1 for like 3 years, btw not that rich

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal View Post
    I wouldnt normally do this and I know it's against the rules, but you're getting £1400 for a christmas present?
    How rich are you fucking parents?
    He could have a rich grand parent or dying relative or just nice parents. I've been known to sacrifice birthday presents for a little larger investment in a Christmas present too.

Deleted
    PC for gaming, mac for graphical desing.
    END.