Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

If you got time would you please answer this.

Hello,

At school im doing a project mostly about WoW and how easly addicted people can get. But also other stuff.

If you'd can I would want people who read this to write:

Why are you playing WoW?

What Consequences's do you know about it?

Have you seen anything changing about you when you started to play it? If yes. In what way and actions?

and ofcourse.

Why did you start playing WoW?

Looking forward to your answers, //// Verissaugh

Please write it serious, dont want people to jump on me just couz they dont think its something to write about even while I do.

Save yourself time and make shit up and keep it believeable. Simples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't be addicted to WoW :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellphantine View Post
    "Rock Knocker"
    as in Rock Knocker Hellphantine
    Spend 100+ hours melee dpsing under a boss' testicles.
    - From the create your own title thread.

Deleted
    Doing a project that highlights video games in a bad way?

You sold out

Deleted
    I pretty much asked for serious answers since this is pretty much going to be a serious project, not something I made up by myself. So please dont write something if your not seriously answer the questions. Thank you.

The project is not only about bad things about the game. Its also how much it has helped some people.

Deleted
    Why are you playing WoW?
    Its fun and playable with friends.

dont get what you mean...

Have you seen anything changing about you when you started to play it? If yes. In what way and actions?
    Well im not sure its related but when i started playing wow my wold started to get colder... well maybe because it was october xD
    nah i played games before and i pretty much just play other games less now then play more at all.

i promised a friend to try it and i liked it.
    i didnt think it would be worth the money so i played on a p-server at first but after seeing how much more fun it is to play on a populated server i switcht over ^^

If you want to write about wow being adictiv keep one thing in mind. the problem is not the "drug" its the society that makes ppl want to lose themself in it.
    and yes i just called wow a drug, it can be one if you want to, like tv, church, buying shoes, performing art...

Deleted
    Well I would answer but the problem is that you started off with a biased statement:
    how easly addicted people can get
    Do you mean specifically wow or generally why people get addicted? Its not very scientific to start off with expectations about the result! Keep that in mind when you write something "scientific" even if its just a homework or small project.

Mhmm Ill still try to answer so you arent left naked here:

I first tried wow on the vanilla beta account of a friend, so its more than 6 years now that I first played wow.
    I really started to play wow after I finished my Abitur (somewhat High School degree) and didnt know what to do. I was in a Counterstrike Clan back then and we all started to play wow. Also my two best RL friends started to play wow back then.

I play wow nowadays because I have a great time playing it. The concept is fun, the world is huge and mostly free of annoyances like lack of content, imbalanced gameplay (like horribly hard to kill a mob, or 100kk EP for levelup) and I can play with my best RL friends from back then even though we live several hours cardrive apart now. It's not the quick round based gameplay like Left4dead or Counterstrike or Starcraft but you actually can pursue progress over weeks rather than start over every 20 minutes. However we still do play round based games and other RPGs like TwoWorlds2 or Neverwinter Nights.

The most recent consequences are that I stay up later at night then I intend to (though only being until midnight, I get up at 6 in the morning) because my friend usually comes online around 22 oclock (10 pm) as he has a slightly different work time.

I have been quite addicted to wow and probably still am. However I do get to work on time and I finish what I have to do. WoW doesnt have that great of an impact on me at the moment. What it did was that whenever I pick up a RPG I tend to go through it really really fast instead of reading the storyline and such. I regret that part as its not the goal to beat the game as quickly as possible but to immerse into the story and fantasy of RPGs.

Im currently doing my bachelor thesis working for a company so WoW did not have any impact on my career as far as I can tell.
    However I did play less while I had a girlfriend, in fact she played more vidgames than I did at the time (facebook games, and other browser games). When I left her I was depressed and started to hide in wow and other games. Being in an environment that has roughly 90% males (engineering) videogames arent that much of a social life killer. Everyone plays them, even the 10% women play them. So there is no real impact on that.

Hope you get that biased statement fixed and look at the topic without expectations for the result or you just might take the first post after yours as advice.

Edit: On a side note: One of my addict-behavioral actions was that I did the math to justify the 15€ I pay monthly. You can play the game for a month for 15€ but you can only get 1.5 drinks for it in a club, also many clubs have 15€ entrance fee. So yeah, be a driver once a month and wow doesnt seem expensive anymore
    Last edited by mmocdbbb194638; 2010-11-29 at 01:16 PM.

Why are you playing WoW? I play WoW to pass free time in the day

What Consequences's do you know about it? it costs money

Have you seen anything changing about you when you started to play it? If yes. In what way and actions? Nope

and ofcourse.

Why did you start playing WoW? started playing WoW because at the time when WoW was being released I was playing halo competitively in MLG and my team ended up quitting and switched to world of warcraft. i followed and have played since

Quote Originally Posted by Serfinur View Post
    I pretty much asked for serious answers since this is pretty much going to be a serious project, not something I made up by myself. So please dont write something if your not seriously answer the questions. Thank you.

The project is not only about bad things about the game. Its also how much it has helped some people.
    Serious project? If you insist.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serfinur View Post
    Hello,

At school im doing a project mostly about WoW and how easly addicted people can get. But also other stuff.

If you'd can I would want people who read this to write:

Why are you playing WoW?

and ofcourse.

Looking forward to your answers, //// Verissaugh

Please write it serious, dont want people to jump on me just couz they dont think its something to write about even while I do.
    Why am I playing WoW?
    I have some friends in game and am pretty close with the guild I'm in. I play a lot of video games anyway, so the fact that I now just play one, which is WoW, doesn't make that huge of a difference. It's a hobby for me, like anything else I could be doing. I also play because I am a numbers guy, and there's a lot of numbers involved in maximizing your performance and efficiency (how much you get done in the time you play).
    People can become hermits. They stop socializing, stop communication with the outside world. But there are a lot of video games like that, and like any addiction it has concequences.
    Virtually nothing has changed for me. I still schedule raiding around my life, rather than my life around raiding. I still see friends on the weekends and go to Youth Group.
    I started playing because a group of friends were all playing on the same server and they wanted me and a buddy of mine to join. Unfortunately my buddy and I stopped playing for awhile and when we got back, they had switched factions. Eventually we met another buddy who we're close with now, that invited us to change servers. I started playing for the same reason I still play. For the social experience and because I get to use my numeracy and logic skills in game.

Why are you playing WoW?
    -Because my friends are playing, and it's fun to do stuff with them ingame too.

-I've got addicted a bit, and it's now part of my life, I always log in for at least ten minutes if it's possible.
    -I've learned 80% of my current English from this game. I started 3 yrs. ago, now I'm 16, and I'm one of the best English-speaking in my class (not ego'ing).

I became a huge fan of fantasy/sci-fi in ~4 days of playing World of Warcraft. I didn't like it before. After this time I watched the LotR Trilogy, the HP series, and a lot more fantasy/sci-fi.

and ofcourse.
    Because my friends invited me
    This account is considered as inactive as of 9th feb. 2011. I am now Gorgash from now on.

Deleted
    I started playing because of south park.
    I am lazy and I don't do my school work, part of the reason is wow, but it's not the only reason. I play it because I'm in a good guild with awesome people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm how bout you look at your own behavrior and also look what changed when you started playing.
    Always find de idiotic things in yourself and not try to see the mutated limbs at the other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockmanzero View Post
    Hmmm how bout you look at your own behavrior and also look what changed when you started playing.
    Always find de idiotic things in yourself and not try to see the mutated limbs at the other.
    totally missing the scientific part here...
    you can not take your own experiences into account while doing research of any kind. Now go troll somewhere else

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even though you're biased against all us socially rejected "gamers", I'll take a whack at it.

Why are you playing WoW?:
    I have a lot of free time, since soccer isn't really my thing, games were a great way to spend my free time.

What Consequences's do you know about it?:
    It's a black hole sucking up time and money but other than that I don't have any problems with it, it's only a problem if you want it to be one.

Have you seen anything changing about you when you started to play it? If yes. In what way and actions?:
    I spend less time doing school work and the likes, not that it matters in any way.

Why did you start playing WoW?:
    I wanted a great RPG to play and 3-4 million people playing the game told me that it was the best out there.

And as other people have mentioned, you're hugely biased, try not letting it reflect on your project too much, only seeing one side/the side you want to see, makes for bad projects and bad grades.

Why are you playing WoW?
    I'm not, I'm answering your survey. Granted, I should also be working.

I have to live up to my FULL LIFE CONSEQUENCES and that is all I know

Yes. I've gotten older. My hair is going slightly grey.

and ofcourse.
    of course.

TV made me.

10+ Year Old Account
    just by the way. Classify it as a compulsion not an addiction. Although similiar in many ways an addiction builds a chemical dependecy whilst a compulsion just stimulates the one segment of your brain. You can die from not getting you fix of a drug if you got seriously addicted, but you will only get bored if you stop playing WoW suddenly without reason.

Why are you playing WoW?
    A lot of content that is playable and enjoyable with a lot of people.

This makes it sound like heroine or such. The same consequences that any hobby could possibly have. It's time consuming, but there's also a social aspect of it, so the only real consequence is somewhat bad grades(even tho it boosted my Englishgrades sky-high) and somewhat poor health.

A lot better at English, but I also tend to be a bit less outside, doing stuff.

and ofcourse.

Friends started.

Kthx, and bai.

1. I don't, just on my friend's acc sometimes
    2. I forget to do homework sometimes.
    3. I'm pro now , things aren't so complicated/lame anymore(talent trees, weapon skills.. ammo/soul shards).
    4. Because my friend showed it to me in '07 and it was 100000x more epic than Runescape despite its poor graphics(which looked awesome when I first started playing), they're still better than Runescape in every single way.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    Can't be addicted to WoW :P
    ^ so true!!!!!!!