I just need advise...

Hello people, it seams that this forum is the correct one to post this questions/VENT. I'm a Disc Healer and I consider myself pretty good. I play this way, I get my Focus target "Tank" and POM,Shield,Flash Heal and the occasion Penance, but I also like to contribute as much as I can by shielding others and using POH once i a while, I hardly go OOM because I use the Shadowfiend and I use Smite healing to get my evangelism up and more mana. I use SKADA to track my healing + Absorbs, and by skada I'm top 2 on healing always, the thing is that I still get the occasional tell, asking me why I'm that low on healing, obviously they use other addons to track healing making me fall wayyy low on healing. How do you guys deal with this type of people,how do you make them understand?, Im doing my job,nobody is dying and Im helping the raid. im speachless.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is what we have to deal with as a Disc Healer. The new "Recount" includes absorbs as part of the overall healing, so our numbers have gone up. But if you are doing your job, the good players notice and the bad players never will, then ignore them. On the other hand, I cannot get used to using smite for healing....in fact I did not take that skill as I never use it. I will POM, Shield, Heal, and then use Flash and Penance on an as needed basis. Getting into the habit of using Heal has been hard but anticipation and planning seem to be working.

Deleted
    Just read how you start off your healing with PoM and then shield. But , depending on the fight maybe the shield wont break and PoM never jumps anywhere? When DiscHealing i always start with shield and then renew, using PoM on one of the dps´ers who i suspect will get hit by the boss.
    I dont even have heal down on my actionbar yet but will start to use it in Cata as it seems to be the way to go.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    if ur raid or group is mostly or completely alive after an encounter u know u did ur job...

I wouldn't worry to much about the meters. With the new recount, (at least as far as I've checked) overhealing is not counted, which puts Discipline in an even weirder state, w/ absorption etc. All I would use recount for, as a healer, is to examine your stats at the end of a fight, and evaluate where importance lies within a given encounter(for yourself, and yourself only). Otherwise, if you can complete the encounter, especially with the whole group alive, your doing your job.

Being on the top of a recount doesn't make you good, nor bad. Infact, each fight can be so vastly different in mechanics, that the recount for healers is going to be somewhere completely new each fight, with no particular pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshow View Post
    nobody is dying.
    This, right there.
    Don't listen to douchebags (yes, there's MANY of them out there).

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've once been out healed as a disc priest. People tell me I need to quit bubbling people so they can actually heal, its quite amusing.
    These people obviously aren't using recount absorbs. I suggest you make sure you have correct healing meters and link them the ACTUAL healing + absorbs.

15+ Year Old Account
    If nobody is dying and your output is low...perhaps the raid is using too many healers?

This is just an alternate option to other rightly suggested ones in this thread.

@ lynguistic: My recount adds absorption effects to Healing Done now, even with my bubble part disabled. I'm not sure if it correctly calculates it though as this has always been an issue.

As disc, the only thing i use meters for is finding the meanest caster and feeding them power infusion...healing meters are a joke.
    The feeling returns whenever we close our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivicen View Post
    It's nice to know where you gauge on output, but as I always tell clowns saying _____'s healing is low, "Did anyone die?"
    While this is true, some raid leaders want to make sure people aren't slacking

Use Skada imo, it's simpler than Recount, counts absorbs, and isn't a damn Addon Memory hog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Just because no one is dying don't mean that all healers are pulling their weight. There could be a healer who really is slacking and the others are simply compensating for that person's fail. /general statement

At any rate, recount doesn't seem to reliably track absorbs. I show up on recount a lot lower than I do on parses because of the way that the absorbs are being calculated. As Ultima points out, the number of healers also has a huge impact on how people perform on the meters. However, as a disc priest, this really is of little consequence: our shields trump anyone else's heals. The only person who can really "snipe" the majority of your heals are other priests or someone with a Val'anyr.
    It also sounds like you're tank healing a lot. Is this what the raid leader/healing leader is expecting of you? If your role isn't clearly defined and the leaders are worrying about numbers, ask them what they're looking for out of you. Disc priests will push out bigger numbers if they focus primarily on the raid instead of primarily on a tank. If the people in charge of assignments truly want you focusing on tanks, then they should know to expect lower numbers. Given that disc priests can't currently spec into Inspiration, I've given up on helping out with the tanks outside of a few special situations. Usually, my entire focus is on the raid.

Aside from that...
    Don't bother smiting, it's a mana loss and the heal is crappy. You'd be better off using the mana and GCDs to pop off some more shields.
    Are you standing around doing nothing? Even if it's just for a few seconds here and there? You should make the most of every GCD. As soon as you can cast something, you should be casting. Mash the button until the spell goes off (or play with the new latency thing?).
    If you're doing everything right and people are still complaining, tell them to just piss off. If they're incapable of understanding the unique role that disc priests play and how the spec operates, they're mediocre(at best) and not worth much attention.
    Last edited by Liliyah; 2010-12-02 at 06:51 PM.

Like everyone has said... meters as a healer are silly- EXCEPT for a few useful features. See -> Damage Taken, Overhealing Done, Friendly Fire.

That said, if you're a healer, if you are consistently staying out of fire, and generally not having half of other's healing, and not overhealing a ton, then you're more or less fine. If your healing -IS- low, take a look at overhealing, it may just be that you're getting the cast off ~.5 seconds too late, and it's all going to overheals.
    Past 'rigs in service (Now the dad's gaming rig):

Current 'rigs: