Deleted

Competative Tanks?

Hey guys, Long time reader, first time poster here
    I am starting on a new server with my friend, and I have been tanking with my paladin for a very long time.
    I cannot transfer my paladin with me, because I do not have acces to a creditcard. So I am looking into the DK Tankings area Now my question is, do Death Knights have competative tanking capabilities compared to the other tanks? I heard a lot about Druids being nerfed to the ground, and I was worried that the same happend with the Death Knights=/

Also, can DK's have the same amount of "fun" as Prot Warriors in BG's? Like Swifty for example? (So PvE Gear, PvE Spec, and still zerg like hell? :P )

10+ Year Old Account
    No one's really doing endgame 85 right now, so it's hard to say, however there's no real reason why we should not be competitive. e have equitable HP, armor, and CDs to shield tanks, the only real difference is in mastery. That remains to be see, but for the time being our mastery still seems stong.

If you worry about druids then think about it like this:
    I'm leaving small fries aka adds to ot for other tanks and I'll just MT the boss.
    With that the problem is solved

I love love love DK tanking, especially where it is headed in Cata.

When you look at paladins and warriors, they are set up to have passive damage reduction (via block) and then a couple CDs to go with it when the shit hits the fan, so to speak.

DKs on the other hand are setup to decide when they want to avoid damage, by healing themselves and putting shields on themselves and have an arsenal of big and small CDs to stay alive. This allows us to better react to spike damage and also save our healers mana in a pinch.

And because of that, DKs can have a blast in BGs as well. It is very very hard to kill a well geared Blood DK that knows how to work their CDs and keep shielding themselves.

Add to that, we have choices in our rotations and threat is on par with warriors and paladins (paladins can probably spike more than DKs, but speaking at overall threat).

Where we are right now, I would suspect DKs will get thrust into more of the MT role in single tank fights where warriors and paladins will picking up adds since their damage reduction is more static.

Basically, if I did not have my DK right now, and I had to pick one tank class, I would pick DK again.

Dk tanking is fine, more then fine even. the only problem there is with DK tanks in generall is that they start @ 55 and start tanking at first @58 wich in general makes them crap tanks. They have no clue what to do. if you do know what to do ur fine as dk.
    Else you could roll a Warr tank ive just did it and within 16 hours am allready lvl 50 with just dungeon quests (did quest some in aszhera for hobgoblin rep)

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    No one's really doing endgame 85 right now, so it's hard to say, however there's no real reason why we should not be competitive. e have equitable HP, armor, and CDs to shield tanks, the only real difference is in mastery. That remains to be see, but for the time being our mastery still seems stong.
    ^^ this
    however for pvp it's a mixed bag, prot war pvp seems much stronger with the spell reflect and being able to charge/stun so many times. as a dk in blood spec it's a blast against melee, however expect to be kited like crazy against anyone with the know how.

Deleted
    I'm really surprised people are saying druids are "nerfed to the ground" when Cata isn't out yet.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that every single tanking class will be both fun and viable at 85.

Deleted
    Been a DK Tank and DPS, I can say we have been quite badly nerfed as of RIGHT NOW.

But let's be honest, when anyone asks any questions like this we must and should be looking at 85, since it's 1 week away.

Quote Originally Posted by niteline View Post
    Dk tanking is fine, more then fine even. the only problem there is with DK tanks in generall is that they start @ 55 and start tanking at first @58 wich in general makes them crap tanks. They have no clue what to do. if you do know what to do ur fine as dk.
    Else you could roll a Warr tank ive just did it and within 16 hours am allready lvl 50 with just dungeon quests (did quest some in aszhera for hobgoblin rep)
    I'm sick of this explanation. The time you spend 1-80 is insignificant compared to the time you spend at 80, and 1-80 dungeon tanking is NOTHING like 80 raid tanking. DKs starting at 55 is irrelevant to their skill levels. Maybe at <80 you could have a point, but it's irrelevant after 80.

Deleted
    Have to agree with the last comment.

Anyone who's not a complete idiot can do a bit of research on there class, I die a little inside when people ask what specs to use in Trade chat.

Deleted
    All depends on what u enjoy playing to be honest paladin brand new is really easy all the way to high level to tank you just need to learn to hold a bit more threat .

Warrior tanking is fun easy and end game and great fun to level with all the way and a great tank with good cool-downs.

Druid is a different type of tank rotation low level wise and aoe threat wise when u get bear u get maul and mangle but rage starved greatly reduces theat aoe wise but really good single target and can only hold a couple mobs solidly when switch in and out of targets .
    but when past 36 when u get swipe becomes a lot more fun and every level u get stronger and a bit of practice becomes easier when u get lacerate or what ever its called and more gear becomes a lot stronger and easier
    Higher level if played right are superb tanks .

Dk tanking compared tot he rest is a totally different style of tanking in my opinion as u have to manage more cool downs and have to pull aoe wise using d and d and diseases b4 and after u even move in to hold threat but also end game is a superb tank.

I enjoy playing them all there great fun all the way to level with and raid with .

Quote Originally Posted by niteline View Post
    err what?
    bud it's been 2 years, there are guides out and all. stop making out as if dk's are the only class with noob players. every now and then i bump into a war tank who has no idea... and they're the oldest tanks in the game. class =/= player.

starting at 55 has nothing to do with anything - in fact it caused more problems since the initial learning curve is a little steep... almost like trying to play a friends character when you've never touched it before... they have a start up chain which introduces the spells and talents gradually - however it's still much faster than the 1 - 55 lvl so expect to do a bit of reading if you want to know what's what (this is where most ppl fail).

one of the main issues tanking as a low lvl dk was the lack of AoE (initially did not have DnD till around 60 odd)
    my advice is lvl up as normal till you get a hold of dnd, then you can try tanking - since you now have all the aoe moves at your disposal.

rune mechanics were a pain to get used to especially if you're used to spamming as a pally/druid tank (now with the increased haste it's much more lenient with error).

Single target threat is fixed with runestrike now an effective RP dump and not a retarded threat mechanic.

as for the dk tanking nerfs, yeah we were hit hard. but since our self heals scale with %hp and the hp buff for lvl 85... i can see where we're headed for this. dk tanking has never been easier rotation/threat wise and the way things are looking - i think i'll keep it as my main for cata.
    Last edited by xeroxide; 2010-12-01 at 12:58 AM.