Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well there's 2 parts to this scenario.

You win at getting what you want without much trouble to yourself, regardless to consequence at others.

You fail in the 'corporate' manner for letting your team mates down. There is no arguing that.

Depending on who your boss(es) are depends on what you say about taking time off, for Dec 7 I told my FSgt. that I planned to take some leave for a week even though we have alot of stuff to do before the end of the year. He asked me why not for xmas and I told him we get plenty of time off and I plan on using some vacation time for WoW. He then said (this is all jokingly) "You son of a bitch, I was hoping if no one was planning on taking some time off I was gonna do the same thing" So then i go into the whole well dude you should of just done it and then i gotta hear about how the FSgt has got to be the one taking the hits. So i said that sounds like a plan and he agreed more so to give my vacation because im sitting at 82 days of leave and near the 'hard' cap so to speak!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trejan View Post
    Well there's 2 parts to this scenario.

You win at getting what you want without much trouble to yourself, regardless to consequence at others.

You fail in the 'corporate' manner for letting your team mates down. There is no arguing that.
    The fault is not his for the company scheduling things on the day he planned to have off. If you read the OP's post, he said the first thing he did when they announced the release date was request time off. Several weeks ago his company knew he would be off on the 7th.

He does not fail at "corporate manner". His boss let his team mates down by allowing so many things to be scheduled when he knew they were short handed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also people that think it's bad about OP taking a day off and stuff for WoW release...it shouldn't matter at all for what reason he takes a day off. All employees have a specific amount of vacation time that they are entitled to use any time of the year if it pass through the manager/boss and get approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    I would go to work that day. The servers are going to be so unstable you are wasteing a day off. Why not take off the up coming friday and give yourself a nice three day weeknd. By that time they should have hotfixed all the major bugs and most of the people will be out of the starting area, and you wont have to deal with crashing servers every 5 minutes.
    What proof do you have for servers being unstable?

Why so many client events on Dec 7? Are they all Final Fantasy MMO fans and pissed off at Cata or something?

Probably going to hurt you in the long run, people who put there jobs before other things tend to get promoted.

gotta take time off to go for server first

Gave me a nice giggle...
    Thanks OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Quote Originally Posted by Diurden View Post
    lol wut?
    was that ment to be some kind of implication he got on his knees to get the vacation?
    I think he means to question how the OP's vacation is validated whereas employee #7 gave up her vacation on the same day for the project. This story seems very iffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

15+ Year Old Account
    Smells like epic failure to me.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by rinda View Post
    i'd make sure they knew i was taking a day off to play a video game and dare them to do one thing about it. if you don't have the balls to let people know you're doing something, stop doing it.

---------- Post added 2010-11-29 at 10:20 PM ----------

then as they lay there dying, alone, they wonder wtf happened to their life

---------- Post added 2010-11-29 at 10:21 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

they've been unstable during every major patch and expansion release for the past 6 years
    These tend to be the people that have families, and can support them. Or they spend there weekends drinking and sleeping around. Just because you put your job ahead of some things, doesn't make your life any crappier, some people don't like social interactions and stay inside most there life, to you that may seem bad but they are as happy as can be.

If you like having money and working, you don't take days off for games, if you get fired there's a reason.

---------- Post added 2010-11-29 at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shigenari View Post
    No, people who are successful in their chosen field tend to get promoted. People who put their job above other things have failed to realise the fact that a job is just a necessity to survive in a capitalist society; it should in no way be the thing around which the rest of your life revolves. If you actually do put your job on a pedestal, it's also save to assume that you genuinely believe that your employer gives a fuck about you- You employer does not give a fuck about you; If your relationship was anything other than business, requesting time off for anything other than a timetabled holiday or an emergency wouldn't be a problem as they would make concessions for you.

By all means, take pride in your work, but don't pretend that it is anything other than a job.
    Not everyone works at a Grocery store.
    Last edited by Eatfreshsub; 2010-11-29 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried my damnedest to get the 7th-9th off for some Cata-release indulgence; initially I was given the go-ahead, but now we have a client that wants us on site that week. We are also a small company (12 people).

Pretty hard to justify fucking up everyone else's schedule right before the holidays just so I can have some quality time with a video game.

the fact that he took the day off long before all of the now popping up appointments makes this situation completely OK, and should not at all be viewed as ethically wrong.

Taking a day off has NOTHING to do with what you will be doing to your company. Your legally allowed to take them if you have days off to use, although WoW may seem as a not important enough reason to do so to some people.

I have 3 absences for all of my college courses, i have not used any of them yet. i have NO GUILT for taking a day off, when the rest of the year im working my ass off and maintaining good grades.

My happiness comes before my work, because if im pissed off/not focused and i could have taken a day off to rectify or avoid that, then that just seems like a dumb move in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulus View Post
    For those of you reading this thread thinking "I've never met any weird people on WoW", then it's probably you.

That was great. Although, its not your problem as long as you aren't calling in sick or taking days off every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

10+ Year Old Account
    bahahaha epic win
    >(^v^)< <(^v^)> >(^v^)< <(^v^)> ^(^v^)v v(^v^)^ ^(^v^)v <(^v^<) <(___)> (>^v^)> <(^v^)> >(^v^)< ^(^v^)v v(^v^)^
    - Moonkin Dance: It's better than yours

My Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit if someone there knows about cataclysm and finds this post, wtf you are screwed. Wont be that hard to figure out.

Employee #7 has re-scheduled her planned vacation...

...so you can play wow?

Made me lol

Deleted
    Its sad that you put a bit of silicon and pixels over real life, lets look at the pro's and cons...

Pro's.... You get to play warcraft for a day.... Errrrr Sad
    Con's.... you get to put a lot of people out because of game.

Lets face it, if you lost your job you wouldn't exactly be able to fall back on warcraft to help you out, it'll not make you pro, or even look good on your CV

Reason left last job : Put a game above real life priorities..

what is also sad is that you include your family in your lies.. So what if something happens and they get in touch with your family? "oh we've not seen him in months, he's always playing on that computer"..

Yeah i'd love to make the excuse and play warcraft, however, friends, family and real life work comes first, always will do. I'll get to play it when i can.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    if it were me... being the half-way decent human being i am... i would recant my original request for the 7th off ESPECIALLY since someone is rescheduling their vacation for this hub bub at the office... but then again i would also be tortured by my conscience for taking a day off for cata in the first place... but then again you didnt ask for opinions on the matter so kindly ignore my input lol...

PS since your taking the day off you better enjoy the hell out of it have fun

15+ Year Old Account
    So much hypocrisy in this thread.