Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Angry Blizzard makes enough money!!! <RANT>

<rant>
    I just read that blizz is giving 50% of all proceeds from the moonkin pet to MAWF. I think that's awesome, BUT, why don't they give 100%? Let's say they laid out 10 grand developing this pet, and to be honest, they have most of the pet code already, it's really about one of their elite artists knocking this model out in about, what, 8 hours? Including animations? I'm being generous here I think.

Ok, they spent 10k developing this thing, now they have the code for it and can produce unlimited copies for free. Do they really need to keep 50% of the profit from it? 12 million subs x 15 bucks a month = 180,000,000 (yes, 180 MILLION per MONTH) in subs, but I know, some people pay for a year in advance, or 3 months, lets round that down to a cool 150 million, just in subs. Not to mention all the money they make on merchandise, including all the other lame ass pets and mounts they sell. Seriously blizz, you couldn't let this one go for free? Give all profit to MAWF? Even if they spent 50k, or 100k making this one pet, it's a drop in the bucket, and now that they have it, it costs them nothing to reproduce it.

I appreciate the fact that they didn't HAVE to give anything to anybody, but really, I think this is one of those "hey look, we care about the world, we're giving back", but they're profiting much more than they're giving away.
    </rant>

Flame on!

I enjoyed your rant. +1 for you

why don't you just donate 10 bucks then? its the same price you would give blizzard and the donation is in YOUR name.
    or are you going to preach morals and what not without donating a cent?

I think you forgot some things. Employee salaries, development costs, taxes, licenses, server costs, monthly bills, etc.

It might be nice if they donated a bit more, sure, but it doesn't really bug me.

Same rant, different pet

You obviously missed the Monk pet the first time i came around

honestly, if you were selling something from your own company, regardless of how much money you have, wouldnt you want some of it? Theyre contributing money to others, which is awesome, but its not like they make all of that money and stick it in a vault somewhere for the future. Its the money that keeps things getting bigger and better for the company.

They didn't have to donate any at all.
    They didn't have to even make the pet.
    Companies are supposed to make money.
    Their subscribers in China pay much less per month.
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    They didn't have to donate any at all.
    They didn't have to even make the pet.
    Companies are supposed to make money.
    Their subscribers in China pay much less per month.
    - Insert Locked Thread

"hey, if you dont like it, go to Russia"

-Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolicious View Post
    I did a rant like this before, I got banned
    That's what happens when you voice your opinion anywhere.

You- we- do NOT know the specifics of what it takes and what it costs to run, create, and manage a MMORPG the size of WoW.

Lets not make assumptions- they do what they do and they have a reason for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know how long it takes to make a 3D model. The model its self took a month. Also they don't just have one guy/girl making them. They probably have several people working on it. Maybe 2-3 for the modelling, and maybe 1 or 2 people for the colouring. Also Blizzard is a business they have a right to keep any amount. Hell 50% is fairly generous. Also I would have bought it even if it wasn't a charity item.
    Naus' Armoury - Armoury

People like you, need to shut up.
    Shuttle of Illidan

I don't see the point of this rant. As long as they warn you that they give 50% to the charity work in question. It would be a different story if you didn't know, but they tell you. No one is forcing you to donate $10 to Blizzard so they can donate $5. You could just donate $10 and not get a pet with it. What's the issue here???

I totally understand the fact that blizz is a company, and needs to profit, it's the point of business. However, if you're going to give back to the community, don't half-ass it to try to look good on paper.

why don't you just donate 10 bucks then? its the same price you would give blizzard and the donation is in YOUR name.
    or are you going to preach morals and what not without donating a cent?
    I didn't say that I don't donate, and I'm not gonna go in to how much or what. Plus I'm not a multi-billion-dollar-a-year megacorp.

Deleted
    Companies have to answer to share holders and investors as well.

I'm buying one as soon as I can. The fact that they're not limiting the amount they will donate is amazing. Every single account could buy one and the money would be donated. There are several corporations that limit donations to a hard cap, like the Pink Bucket thing at KFC where they would only donate up to 100k or 1 million, something like that. That, as well as donating 50% is huge. Don't act so silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinicide View Post
    I totally understand the fact that blizz is a company, and needs to profit, it's the point of business. However, if you're going to give back to the community, don't half-ass it to try to look good on paper.
    You say this as if Blizzard has never given to charity except via these pets.

but they're profiting much more than they're giving away.
    </rant>

Flame on!
    If they are donating half the proceeds from the sales, that means they are making equal amount to what they are giving away, not "much more". But, that's not profit. To calculate profit, you still need to subtract the costs from their half of the proceeds....meaning they will be making *less* than what they are giving away.