Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do it for free with a little more time and effort that you would have spent standing around in your main city waiting for bg's and randoms anyway, or spend 8k+ gold... hmmf tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Szczypior View Post
    Approx mats needed from 1 to 450:

* 133 x [Rough Stone]
    * 190 x [Copper Bar]
    * 70 x [Coarse Stone]
    * 7 x [Silver Bar]
    * 180 x [Bronze Bar]
    * 105 x [Heavy Stone]
    * 5 x [Gold Bar]
    * 230 x [Iron Bar]
    * 50 x [Steel Bar]
    * 5 x [Truesilver Bar]
    * 60 x [Solid Stone]
    * 150 x [Mageweave Cloth]
    * 320 x [Mithril Bar]
    * 20 x [Dense Stone]
    * 420 x [Thorium Bar]
    * 80 x [Rugged Leather] or 10 [Star Ruby]
    * 152 x [Fel Iron Bar]
    * 10 x [Netherweave Cloth]
    * 85 x [Adamantite Bar]
    * 320 x [Cobalt Bar]
    * 441 x [Saronite Bar]
    * 20 x [Crystallized Air]
    * 7 x [Titanium Bar]
    * 33 x [Eternal Earth]
    * 13 x [Eternal Shadow]
    * 13 x [Eternal Water]

It would take like 2 days to farm mats (about 24 hours I think) as a lvl 80
    It's a LOT easier since they made Thorium Bars = 1 Thorium Ore... That's a HUGE part of the grind right there, Cuts out probably 4-6 hours, easy depending on the server. Plus, I've seen Mithril a lot more often with the new patch.

All in all, I think the grind wouldn't be horrible at all. Compared to JC or Engy? I think it's pretty reasonable actually.

I actually did that recently on my death knight. For some reason I find farming relaxing- I know it's economically silly.

Although my case was a little different- I stopped farming at 425 or whenever eternal belt buckles became available. Those things sell above the price of the mats, and people still buy it, two weeks before an expansion.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Jerry View Post
    Do it for free with a little more time and effort that you would have spent standing around in your main city waiting for bg's and randoms anyway, or spend 8k+ gold... hmmf tough one.
    Well that's my plan

Spending little or no gold is definitely possible. But why? When I pick up a new profession for an alt or drop one from my main I get a guide via google. If you have a matching gathering profession that you want to level as well, perfect! But you'll need more stuff than you find/gather to get this to 450/525. If I get you correctly that's what you want to grindfarm, in order not to spend gold on mats from the ah.
    I always have a look at the ah, sometimes there's really cheap stuff which can save you a whole lot of time. If you buy stuff for around 1000 gold from the ah (which is not too much these days) but save a couple of hours, you can easily earn that money by daily quests etc. (Btw: my favourite is bwl! grab 2 or 3 friends, get to nef in 30 minutes, earn ~400 gold and sell the elementium! you'll want to go there anyway for learning how to smelt elementium bars.)
    On top: You can sell the green stuff you produce or at best have an enchanter at hand - you can make a lot of money by selling lowlvl-dusts and essences.

tldr: farming is good, but don't neglect the ah! look for good offers and use your time efficiently.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulliedaft View Post
    Spending little or no gold is definitely possible. But why? When I pick up a new profession for an alt or drop one from my main I get a guide via google. If you have a matching gathering profession that you want to level as well, perfect! But you'll need more stuff than you find/gather to get this to 450/525. If I get you correctly that's what you want to grindfarm, in order not to spend gold on mats from the ah.
    I always have a look at the ah, sometimes there's really cheap stuff which can save you a whole lot of time. If you buy stuff for around 1000 gold from the ah (which is not too much these days) but save a couple of hours, you can easily earn that money by daily quests etc. (Btw: my favourite is bwl! grab 2 or 3 friends, get to nef in 30 minutes, earn ~400 gold and sell the elementium! you'll want to go there anyway for learning how to smelt elementium bars.)
    On top: You can sell the green stuff you produce or at best have an enchanter at hand - you can make a lot of money by selling lowlvl-dusts and essences.

tldr: farming is good, but don't neglect the ah! look for good offers and use your time efficiently.
    I got the time, and i want to spend little gold.
    Im not lazy, and i am very patient, so why not? :P

If it is critical, i will look it up at AH, ofcourse. But nothing in my head tells me that this is impossible to do without trusting the AH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by winterfox72 View Post
    The Mithril and Thorium mining seem to take the longest..Which is why they are som damn expensive..But once You get to outlands..especially if You have Epic flying..Its is really fast from there on out.
    for mithril, currently, making a BIG circle around searing gorge is the way to go, one big circle covering the outer wall, over and over, its GG, dont worry about mithril in the caves..

got quiet a bit of truesilver as well, and a few gold ores.

i have not found an awesome place for thorium as of yet... they took away EPL From me

though winterspring, blasted lands, or un'goro should be good, un'goro maybe to start thorium since it will have more small veins, then one of the others

one thing is, leveling both at the same time, do not bother leaving the zone right when you outlevel it / able to reach the next, mine till they turn green or grey, you need many more mats, than what it'll take to level your mining.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Thorium is everywhere in Winterspring now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    I take it you have not been through the new old world yet on any of your toons, all the node spawns right now are so high that if you where to mine every node you see it could take you an hr to do one quest. (OK not that bad but close), and Thorium has not been rare in a long time, like 3.0 or 3.1 Going around the edges of ungo pre 4.0.3a you could get 4-6 stacks of thorium per lap without even going in any cave just by staying near the edges of the map.
    Un'goro got nerfed a bit, but still good place to go to farm Thorium. On the other hand Mithril got much easier to get in the new world. I would check the prices on some ore, as it can be really cheap at the AH, and it can save a lot of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just power-leveled BS on my Death Knight. It took approximately 4k gold, 3 of which I made back selling all the stuff I made,

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Jerry View Post
    That 1 stack of copper/tin/... in your bag worths the same as the one in the AH.
    Neither one is free.

OT.: It is doable, but note that you will still need to spend some money on the AH the buy the non ore mats like leathers, gems, cloths..etc. A couple hundred gold should be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

I did it to prepare for my Blacksmithing Tauren Paladin. Had two bank tabs /full/ of mats for BS'ing, took about 2 weeks of idling doing it while I did other stuff. It's not too hard, other than Tin and Mithril, which don't pop up nearly as much as say, Copper, Thorium, or Iron. I hear this changed, though -- I've certainly seen a LOT more mithril in some zones with my lowbies.

yes? ppl level it up while leveling
    ggg

I don't know why people always hit the AH to level their professions... Even when a low level friend needs something made i go out and gather the matts myself. I've even taken to stockpiling metals and stones with my Warrior, as i plan on leveling an Engineer in the future.

When given the choice of doing something myself, or paying for another person to do it, if i can do it jsut as well, i'll do it myself. I suppose it all depends on how you feel about farming. Personally, i find it relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I never did it any other way.
    this.

You don't even need to go to 450, the new Blacksmithing recipes are learned at 425, require significantly less materials, and probably are upgrades to boot.

Don't forget you could always spam trade, it would at least slow down the thunderfury spam and anal spam.

Ofcourse you can but it will take some time.

yes its possible, its actually rather easy to do provided you have the correct profs. However the problem with that is that ussually if you went and spent the same amount of time grinding gold instead of mats, you will make enough money to buy all/most of your mats and still have money left over.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Allright, i've spent yesterday farming. And i've farmed ALL the mats required for 1-300 leveling. Oh man, you need patience...

http://i52.tinypic.com/307ww1j.jpg

I will continue today, after ive found out where to put all the green shit...