Is this overkill for a notebook????

hi people, Im getting a new laptop for christmas mainly to play WoW and i was wondering if this setup is overkill for WoW

Intel i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
    8GB RAM (DDR3 1333MHz), 2GB x 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 16GB
    Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5
    750 GB HDD; Super Multi Optical Drive; 802.11 b/g/n; 1x USB 3.0 port, 3x USB 2.0; Gigabit LAN; VGA and HDMI out
    17.3-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; Illuminated Keyboard; 2.0M Webcam; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System

it is an ASUS G73JW-XA1

Please do not repeatedly post a topic, if it is in queue for moderator approval we will eventually get to it. Also, please refrain from using multiple punctuation marks for no reason.

It is overkill for WoW, you would be better off spending that money on a desktop if possible.

Well I can run wow on my netbook with 512MB of RAM so yeah, its well beyond overkill...
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalir View Post
    Well I can run wow on my netbook with 512MB of RAM so yeah, its well beyond overkill...
    Yes, auction house is fun part of the game. But what you can't do with 512MB RAM netbook is instances, battlegrounds or raids. Even questing is hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the man View Post
    hi people, Im getting a new laptop for christmas mainly to play WoW and i was wondering if this setup is overkill for WoW

it is an ASUS G73JW-XA1
    Asus G73 is pretty much the best possible laptop you can get for gaming purposes. It's definitely overkill for WoW today, but the good thing is that it has so much excess power that it can probably still run new games just fine in 2 years when $500 laptops are worthless junk at lowest settings. If money is not a problem and you want to buy a laptop that lasts for several years it's good choice, but you can play WoW just fine on cheaper laptop too.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-11-30 at 03:04 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I have the older G73 with the ATI 5870 in it, and I can play WoW maxed out with no issues whatsoever

I'd only get a laptop like that if you absolutely need it for reasons other than WoW. If I didn't need to bring in my computer for school I would have bought a desktop as well, but that's not an option for me. Given how big the price tag is on that model of ASUS gaming laptops, you should consider how much you're going to lug it around elsewhere, because if it's just going to sit on your desk for a year then you're far better off getting a (much better) desktop.

I always prefer a Desktop over Laptops, but that Laptop is overkill...

Yes it's a huge overkill... Like, BFG on a critter over kill. That said... I've actually only heard bad things about the G73J. 3 people in my college class got it because they needed new ones and it had pretty impressive stats, and each of them has had problems now. Two had a problem with the battery not charging, and the charging circuit itself, and one had a HD malfunction the first week in, but he hasn't had a problem since.

Honestly, unless you travel -a lot- and want some serious mobile power, it's a pointless laptop to get. I'ma have to agree with getting a cheap desktop (I built one this weekend for my brother starting WoW for $700, and it's running Ultra graphics @ 60 FPS) and getting a cheap laptop if you really want / need one.
    Past 'rigs in service (Now the dad's gaming rig):

Current 'rigs: