Question New PC for Cataclysm (yep, again!)

It's my time, now!
    Cataclysm is coming and my QuadCore won't be able (I'm sure) to give me all the details I need to enjoy new dungeons!

Sooo...

Here we have a pre-configured PC I could buy: what do you think about this?

Case
    ASUS TA-B12 MidiT Black/Gray noPws

Power Supply
    CORSAIR TX 750W Ultra-quiet 4Pci-e 8sata 20-24pin

Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D-E P55 2xPci-e 4DDR3 CF SATA3+USB3

CPU
    INTEL Core i5 760 (Lga1156)

RAM
    2 x PATRIOT DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit (2x2GB) CL7

Hard Disk
    WESTERN DIGITAL WD10EARS 1TB SATA 64MB

Video
    ASUS Nvidia GTX460 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Pci-E

DVD
    ASUS BC-08B1LT Blu-Ray Reader+DVD Burner

O.S.
    MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit OEM

It goes for around 1300 euros here in Italy (1600 USD) but you can't compare italian prices with those in the USA... You lucky guys!

Right now my monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW, but I think it's going to die (it blinks for a few minutes when I turn on my PC). That means that I play at 1680x1050 now but it'll probably change in the near future (1920x1080 maybe?)

Hints please
    "I look bigger in those mirrors where things look bigger."

Nothing wrong with the setup you listed as it is. Just make sure the Windows comes in a language you want, since you can't change it in Home Premium. If you buy english it'll be only english, if you buy italian it'll be only italian.

If you're planning on overclocking you'll need extra CPU fan but that's purely extra.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

May I ask what you are upgrading from? You may it sound like you just upgraded less than a year ago.

The most important thing to running WoW basically is the raw clock speed of the CPU. Although the irony is that a quad core is still going to be better than a dual core of higher clock most likely, because you need at least a 3rd core to handle all the rest of the tasks while WoW runs on the first two to see the best performance.

Depending on your answer, your best bet may be to just buy an SSD to improve load speeds. Or buy a better cooler and overclock your CPU a bit if you are concerned.

Cataclysm doesn't seem to really be much of a difference from Wrath in CPU calc time IMHO. Not like the difference between BC and Wrath. Unless we don't actually get the engine update before installing Cata on the 7th or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    The most important thing to running WoW basically is the raw clock speed of the CPU. Although the irony is that a quad core is still going to be better than a dual core of higher clock most likely, because you need at least a 3rd core to handle all the rest of the tasks while WoW runs on the first two to see the best performance.
    This paragraph is pretty much universally wrong. The Core i architecture makes a slower i5/i7 equal to or better than a faster Phenom II x4. For instance, the i5 760 is pretty much equal to a Phenom II x4 965 when both are at stock speeds.

Within the same product line, a faster dual core will typically outperform a slower quad core (for WoW). This typically applies to the AMD CPUs, as the i5 duals/quads use different architectures (the dual cores have on-chip graphics).

Cilraaz: I'm sorry, I was speaking from within the same product line, not between AMD and Intel. As for the 2nd part of yours -- that's what I meant by "most likely." -- Benchmark testing for example, between the 655K and 875K showed that despite the 655K having something like a 700mhz OC above a similarly OC'd 875K .... that the 875K was still beating it in performance by a sizable amount.

It's entirely probable that a 655K OC'd would beat something like an i5 760 though.

15+ Year Old Account
    RAM is overkill, you only need 1 set of (2x2GB), not two. with 8GB you will constantly have 4-5GB just sitting there doing nothing
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

May I ask what you are upgrading from? You may it sound like you just upgraded less than a year ago.
    You are right, I forgot to write what I have now.

According to CPU-Z, I'm writing using:

Power Supply
    Big enough, something around 700/800 W

Motherboard
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Stepping 7, Revision B3) at 2.4 GHz

RAM
    4 x Corsair DDR2 400MHz (PC2-6400)

Hard Disk
    2 x 400 GB in Raid 0

Video
    ATI Radeon 4870 (Core 500 MHz, Memory 900 MHz)

O.S.
    MICROSOFT Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM

According to several tests, my system is a bit "slow" due to memory bottle-neck.
    I have to say, I'm really satisfied with this system (bought it 3 years ago spending a lot) and in Ironforge I see 100 FPS and in Stormwind (the NEW one) I'm around 40 FPS when crowded, always with "above the average" settings (no, not Ultra). But I NEED (that's odd, uh?) to spend money and anyway I need a new PC due to my job. Two PCs at home, oh my...

But, yes, I could even upgrade my system and wait for the second PC... Not sure I'd have same performance as a new monster...

I have the Q9550 myself, which defaults at 2.83ghz and with an avg OC to 3.4ghz it still runs WoW on ultra great. No hiccups while raiding even in AOE, and even running around Dalaran I never saw it dip below like 35-40fps. Your system isn't that old yet to warrant a full upgrade just for WoW imho unless you really have the money to spare.

Honestly, I might try just buying something like the Coolermaster Hyper212+ heatsink/fan for your CPU, and doing a moderate overclock to ~3.0ghz and see how you like the performance. The 4870 is still a decent GPU, being just a tad worse than the GTX460 768mb. Worst case scenario, you still upgrade later and can just use that heatsink on your new build.

And that premade price sounds really high, even accounting for currency differences. Are premade PCs really that expensive in Europe? You could get those parts from Newegg for like $650...

I have the Q9550 myself, which defaults at 2.83ghz and with an avg OC to 3.4ghz it still runs WoW on ultra great. No hiccups while raiding even in AOE, and even running around Dalaran I never saw it dip below like 35-40fps.
    Uhm, 3.4 Ghz is +40% speed compared to my system.
    Or, other way round, 18-28 FPS in Dalaran. True, I can confirm that.
    But, pretty sure I won't get those FPS at Ultra.

Honestly, I might try just buying something like the Coolermaster Hyper212+ heatsink/fan for your CPU, and doing a moderate overclock to ~3.0ghz and see how you like the performance.
    I agree, even if last time I tried to OC my CPU I almost put on fire my whole house LOL. Not really good at it.

And that premade price sounds really high, even accounting for currency differences. Are premade PCs really that expensive in Europe?
    Nop, problem is not with "premade" but with currency conversion.
    Due to market choices, usually 1 USD = 1 EUR + 30% when it comes to buying stock components from other markets.
    Something that costs 100 USDs usually doesn't cost 77 euros here, but 130 LOL