Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Blizzard's Evolution

I have seen countless people say "Blizzard is a business, they exist to make money." I agree that a business must try to profit. However, when the desire for that profit becomes more important than the customer is that anything more than greed?

I doubt that most people get into the game development field because they want to make a lot of money, there are tons of more lucrative paths to choose. Game development is a career chosen because of the passion, the love of it. They strive to make an awesome game and they do a great job.

However, recently, the desire for Blizzard to profit has become much stronger.
    They no longer seek to profit by simply making an awesome game...
    Changes that were said to never happen began to appear with price tags on them...
    They have traded happiness for more profit.

Where this metamorphosis began, we can only speculate but you can not deny a change.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

So the items you pay for... help to down a boss? Kill faster? Live longer?

QQ more.

Blizzard has stated ANY item they sell will not give someone an advantage in-game and will be cosmetic. So far they have kept their word.

Fail post.
    Last edited by slashbase; 2010-11-30 at 06:46 PM.

any business that never changes dies. expecting them to stay the same forever is short sighted and naive

Oh yes I can, Blizzard are improving - making better content as time passes, they deserve the money they are taking.

Last time I checked a sparkly horse and couple of vanity pets didn't help anyone win the tourneys or get first kills faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesswho69 View Post
    Last time I checked a sparkly horse and couple of vanity pets didn't help anyone win the tourneys or get first kills faster.
    Mijen isn't saying "QQ player X won everything thanks to paying real money for some vanity pet", he's saying Blizzard did stuff they said they'd never do. It's a question of....well, saying it's a question of trust would be to take it to a level too high at the moment (in my opinion), but I hope you get my point.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

I will agree with you the day Blizzard start selling stuff like an entire dungeon pack that give way over the top item, a premade max lvl character with raiding gear, potion that give an unfair advantage over other player. Otherwise it just some vanity stuff that doesn't give any unfair advantage beside having something else to show-off. Pet sold on the store are the equivalent of placing more buck for the collector edition. You get something to show off that you have the collector but beside that your at the same level than other player.

Again I've never read a post from blizzard saying they were never gonna sell vanity pet on the store.
    Also at the first blizzon they were announcing the tcg that included the same stuff: mount, items, vanity pet.
    Last edited by Strongold; 2010-11-30 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mijen View Post
    I have seen countless people say "Blizzard is a business, they exist to make money." I agree that a business must try to profit. However, when the desire for that profit becomes more important than the customer is that anything more than greed?
    Interesting. The capitalist model depends on greed to function, yet greed is something we call consider a terrible character trait, however if you were ever to criticise capitalism you would have a hoarde of people blindly defending it as a part of "freedom" while being labelled a communist at the same time.
    "The truth, my goal."

I doubt that most people get into the game development field because they want to make a lot of money, there are tons of more lucrative paths to choose. Game development is a career chosen because of the passion, the love of it. They strive to make an awesome game and they do a great job.

Changes that were said to never happen began to appear with price tags on them...

Where this metamorphosis began, we can only speculate but you can not deny a change.
    Im sure you think that you're making sense in your head but you did not give one line of evidence for this. I give this post a 0/10. Give some evidence and then we'll talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    (Oh god I'm such a troll)

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare Blizzard, a business, want to make some easy money. Who cares, half the money goes to charity.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

You know one thing blizz hasn't done? Raise the rates for subscriptions. We all want to whine about how blizz is only in it for the money yet they have never made me pay more to play each month. I know there are some poeple out there that play and have never bought more that vanilla wow (crazies) yet they can still play. This hate toward a company that is so passionate they throw a party every year and walk around interacting with fans has become annoying and shame on all the trolls and haters.

Name one thing that they said they would never do. They never said that they wouldn't sell in-game cosmetic items for real money, but rather that they wouldn't sell in-game items that actually improve your character's performance. Having a pet does absolutely nothing for your toon in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    so wot ;O I agree COOL stuff like mini ragnaros should be hard to get pet & no buy pet but, it idd doesn't kill a boss faster of whatsoever so its no need, its for people who want it.

On a second tough: I remember that it quite unfair that I'm able to do cooking on min-ragnaros without a cooking fire that really game breaking lol

Wasn't $1.1 million sent to a charity from the stuff bought on the blizzard store and such?

Deleted
    Blizzard is the best game company in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velyndina View Post
    Wasn't $1.1 million sent to a charity from the stuff bought on the blizzard store and such?
    Ya but Blizzard is a soulless company that just wants to make money, shit like that doesn't matter.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Nearly every musician enters the business because of their love of music. Few leave the business without "selling out" to some degree. The same goes for game companies. Call it greed if you want, it is just a fact of life.

As soon as blizzard starts only giving out pets via the store or starts selling something besides vanity items/gear for actual cash I will be the first to say I was wrong about them. Until then it is just people running in circles screaming "The sky is falling" just because the company changes a few small things that don't affect game play. In the end, Blizzard is a publicly shared company. They have to keep the stockholders happy, and that means showing them a economically booming company.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Name one thing that they said they would never do.
    Faction change.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Name one thing that they said they would never do. They never said that they wouldn't sell in-game cosmetic items for real money, but rather that they wouldn't sell in-game items that actually improve your character's performance. Having a pet does absolutely nothing for your toon in-game.
    PVE to PVP server transfers, race changes and faction changes. I'm neutral on this topic, I just wanted to add this tidbit to the discussion.