Thread: UI memory

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile UI memory

i've just installed LUI and few other addons,i removed the Recount since it takes alot of memory usage( 12Mb ) and changed it with Skada(so much less memory and u can use it as threat/dps/healing meter).Now im sitting at 17.5Mb,i see few UI videos where some of em have like 40+Mb memory just for their addons.
    Whats the average memory for addons thats best for raid?i understand it all depends on ur PC performance i just want to estimate it thats all
    tx for ur time

10+ Year Old Account
    At any rate, less is better in this case (generally), but mostly it's how much the addons use in terms of CPU power. On a couple gigs memory, you're not going to miss 20 or 40MB. However, as a general guideline, smaller addons tend to take less CPU power as well.

I'm running less than 8MB with a decent number of addons, but I've seen people with less than 2 as well. However, the lower memory use has to come from somewhere. A lot of the really small addons simply have no ingame configuration, for example. So while, say, oUF_Hank3 might be a lot smaller than Pitbull... it's also a lot harder to setup.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2010-12-01 at 02:17 PM.

Deleted
    All the matters for your in-raid FPS is:
    a) Memory fluctuations. If an addon uses a static 40 mb, all that means is it saves lots of information.
    b) CPU usage

memory usage itself isnt what slows downs your game for the most part, its addons with a heavy cpu use that make fps drop the most and addons who keeps sincronizing every split a second that may give increased latency

i think there was an addon you could use to check the current cpu use of other addons, thats by far a much better number to look at instead of the memory use

i sit around 2mb, but it seems there is some problem with my ui since i get spikes around 5mb.

If you really want to cut down on your memory usage for your UI try switching out to AddOns that don't have in-game configuration. Using things like rAction and rButton styler over things like ButtonFacade and Bartender, or an oUF over something like xPerl.

I usually like to keep my UI memory below 10 mb. (sitting at 7 mb with tukui + all raid addons and some mage addons).

15+ Year Old Account
    i use recount and soemtimes i go above 80MB if i forget to reset it :P

but like many others stated it doesnt realy amtter. the think that slows you down is mostly addons the do a lot of lines of code in thier <OnUpdate> as that is happening each frame.

if you hoever have your game freeze every once a while for a few secs it mgiht be addon that is bugged or realy badly written

The avarage usage of addons is realy depents on what it wants to store in the memory. like damage meters have to story each damage a player did but that takes up a lot of memory. addon that only display thing that are happening at the moment like health bars and such they donthave to use a lot of memery as they use the curreny accurate infomation and dont have to store it
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Yeah I can't use recount anymore while raiding because it causes screen tears whenever it stops or starts parsing.

Deleted
    Mine sits at about 40mb with auctioneer, and about 10 without it. Doesn't make a huge difference.

My ui uses around 400kb. I prefer having the usage low. I am into having a full custom ui with as much memory used as possible, don't know why...

10+ Year Old Account
    Im usually around 50ish. Largest are arkinventory, recount, carbonite, and altoholic.

at Treeston
    you forgot the GPU usage. I know its not much but its there!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like going over 5MBs my UI sits at 1-2MBs, 4 tops in a raid. (TukUI FTW!)
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Chrlol, rendering 2d static objects as an overlay over a 3d world takes next to no GPU cycles, unless you've got an addon active similar to Aurora (which makes the static objects mostly transparent, which costs GPU/CPU cycles) or FogBG (which puts a rendered particle fog animation into your static objects).

15+ Year Old Account
    Not too long ago >60 MB wasn't uncommon. I use somewhere in the ballpark of 100 addons and I'm constantly changing them out or trying new ones. Most of the memory came from Gearscore and Recount. Something changed recently that brought me down to around 20. I think it was Gearscore. If I strip my UI down to just the bare minimum to keep the look of it it drops to like 8. I use some addons that I know are memory heavy though for the features they offer.

I would like to recommend TinyDPS over Skada and Recount. I did a test a few days ago where I ran a few heroics with the three addons running at the same time.

TinyDPS and Recount had captured exactly the same numbers, in damage done, in DPS, in healing - exactly the same. Only difference was TinyDPS using about 1/10th of Recounts memory usage.

Skada's capturing was sometimes up the walls compared to the other two. It was generally lacking about 70-100k in the damage done-meter compared to the other two (per HC), and the DPS calculation was a bit off too.

TL;DR
    TinyDPS is the way to go.

Deleted
    "I don't like going over X mb addon memory usage" feels like quite a flawed argument, since it rarely matters...

now i have to use 15-17 mb of my memory

My standard UI is around 12mb, with Gearscore/Recount/Auctioneer it can spike up to 120mb after a full raid session

Those 3 are the only real memory users these days