Thread: Titan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Halo would be terrible as a MMO.

Titan sounds like it should be from the greek era and we all know fantasy MMOs generally make a lot more money than space MMOs.
    Planetside?
    Ochun <Decimation> (lvl.. 83!?) gogo casual lvling!

Halo is owned by Microsoft, there are rumours that 343 Industries (Microsoft Games Studios owned studio) are remaking the original Halo. Alas, it won't be a Halo MMOFPS.

It also won't be Mass Effect, purely because Mass Effect is EA, or at least Dragon Age is, and considering ME2 is coming out on the PS3, I doubt Mass Effect is Microsoft Game Studios.
    In fact, I had a moment of genius and realised I could just check the case; Mass Effect is published by EA, meaning Activision aren't going to be getting their hands on it anytime soon.

As for 'MMOFPS wha!!?', check out Borderlands, it may work like that, or it could work like Halo / Call of Duty where it's purely shooting people to kill them.

But I think it's a bit soon to start these theories when Blizzard haven't actually announced it yet.
    Wait until they reveal some details, that we can then grow the rumours from there.

I think it will be an MMOFPS like PlanetSide. I think Blizzard will be like HA IT WAS StarCraft all along "umad?". You can train as a zealot, DT, templar, carrier,phoenix etc. You'll have to work with other players to strategically overcome the opposition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Doubtful since Microsoft owns the rights to Halo last time I checked.
    This.. just because Bungie developed Halo doesn't mean they have the rights to use the trademark. They are merely a tool and a provider.

I am personally hoping that it turns out to be a Greek centered/lore based MMO. I am going along the names it's been given of project Hydra and Titan. Just a shot in the dark. It would be different from everything they've done so far.

I remember Ironlore did Titan's quest and that was rather appealing for such an under appreciated title. Seeing something similar come to life as an MMO rather than just a Diablo clone would be something I'd invest more time and money towards.

Wishful thinking.

I suppose a science fiction FPS would be entertaining. I don't see how it will work as a MMO, but I could be pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by palladinthug; 2010-12-01 at 10:50 AM. Reason: 3rd shift nonesense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Yes because having an opinion in opposition to your opinion makes us all bastards. Great logic there.

Warcraft was originally going to be a Warhammer game before the deal fell through, so it ended up with its own lore over the several FPS releases.

May be a similar situation here - take the Halo "feel", as it were, but make it into its own game.

Or, it could be something entirely different. <Shrug>. No way to tell at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstrider View Post
    If this Titan project turns out to be a Halo MMO, that'll be one of the first Blizzard games I won't buy, Halo is one of the most overrated game series of the last 2 generations, it's a mediocre shooter at best, and it's storyline wasn't all that great either.
    Ofc they can't make a "Mass Effect" MMO but they might be doing the same thing that Mass Effect did - creating a completely new and awesome Scifi universe.

God I hope it's Scifi, I can't take another MMO with orcs, dwarfs and mages.

Website here...

http://www.blizzardnewmmo.com/

Quite handy. Also seen somewhere talk of it being a bit Fallout-esque. Which seems to on the right tracks of sci-fi, post-apocalyptic...
    Last edited by marrakoosh; 2010-12-01 at 10:51 AM.

I hope it's going to be a robotcraft or something where we have a robot and will get upgrades as we fight or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    I hope it's going to be a robotcraft or something where we have a robot and will get upgrades as we fight or something.
    An online robot wars? Like Armoured Core! But online...coolz.

I like Halo, but it just won't work as an MMO.

I like MMORPGs and FPS but MMOFPS? No thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummbles View Post
    The reason there are so few tanks isn't because tanking is hard, it's because everyone else is a fucking idiot. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliq View Post
    MS owns the Halo franchise. Activision will never publish any Halo game unless they are sold the rights to.
    Right, but who's to say Microsoft didn't green light it? Yes they cut it, but shortly then after (later the same month), Bungie signed with Activision Blizzard. With MMO juggernaut Blizzard at the helm, why would they say no? They stand to make a killing off it.

The facts that both projects are called Titan, Bungie has an exclusive deal with Activision Blizzard for all Halo games for the next 10 years, Blizzard's hiring talent for an unannounced Sci-Fi MMO, Ensemble Studios dropped it right before Bungie signed with Activision, this an untapped market for the Halo franchise, Microsoft has cut exclusive deals with Activision in the past (see Call of Duty), and Blizzard's stated it will appeal to a 'broader audience than the WoW community' all point to it being a Halo MMOFPS.

On the other hand, Blizzard has had job listings for this project since 2007, well before Bungie signed with Activision.
    Last edited by Leinie; 2010-12-01 at 11:07 AM.

It definitely sounds like a futuristic-space type MMO, And damn I can tell you after hearing this. I cannot wait =D

Quote Originally Posted by palladinthug View Post
    I am personally hoping that it turns out to be a Greek centered/lore based MMO. I am going along the names it's been given of project Hydra and Titan. Just a shot in the dark. It would be different from everything they've done so far.

I remember Ironlore did Titan's quest and that was rather appealing for such an under appreciated title. Seeing something similar come to life as an MMO rather than just a Diablo clone would be something I'd invest more time and money towards.

Wishful thinking.

I suppose a science fiction FPS would be entertaining. I don't see how it will work as a MMO, but I could be pleasantly surprised.
    As far as I recall, Project Hydra was the codename for Diablo 3.

I'm a bit mixed on the whole MMO-FPS business. On one hand I do like the part where manual skill plays a greater role, on the other hand playing from Australia in FPS games at any level of competition just doesn't work unless there is local hosting. As a genre they can be fun - I certainly enjoyed Borderlands a tonne - but I have doubts for a long term MMOPFS, especially if they are looking to it as a replacement for the primary subscription service.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLNemesis View Post
    I think it will be an MMOFPS like PlanetSide. I think Blizzard will be like HA IT WAS StarCraft all along "umad?". You can train as a zealot, DT, templar, carrier,phoenix etc. You'll have to work with other players to strategically overcome the opposition.
    I see it more like Blizzard being like LOL IT WAS REALLY WOWX6.

In a year or two, after WoW hits 20 million subscribers, Blizzard-Activision will fully realize the logistical and financial nightmare of trying to end it. Recovery is going to be daunting, owing itself mainly to Blizzard themselves being charged with the task of developing a WoW-killer. Let's be honest: it can't be done. Aside from literally physically ending it, the only way it could be done so by subscription drawing is by either 1) stealing such a significant amount of WoW gameplay elements that it is essentially a reskin, or 2) deliberate diminishing of current and upcoming WoW content to make another game look more attractive. With neither of these options being viable, it's simple enough to see how unlikely it is that Blizzard's goal of making a WoW-competitive MMO comes to fruition. Aside from that, I don't care about constant content expansion. New areas, new classes, new races, all sound great. Granted, the numbers we would start seeing in health, mana, damage, and so on, would likely be ridiculous, but for me, that's WoW returning to its true roots: no limit on how powerful someone may become.

Of course, I may be wrong about it meaning to be competitive to WoW. It could be just as likely that it's Blizzard simply wanting to engage in a new "craft" IP, as they only have three canons: Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon8912 View Post
    Night Elf mage makes my eyes bleed.

They'll be too scared to switch from a 12million (in a few years probably will double the number) fantasy game to a space-like game, they've got StarcraftII already, with 2 titles left to sell too, I guess they'll keep themself close to the magic/Warcraft/rpg style.

Also, Titan?

I thought they'd have called it "Old God", since it's way stronger. Wohoo

A skill based mmofps is what I'm hoping for. Not like Tabula Rasa, but more like PlanetSide. But it has to be skill based, like CS:S style or something.

I think in all reality that's the only type of game that could ever drag me away from WoW long term.

It also makes sense for them to go into a completely different genre to retain all the subs in WoW.

Skill based is hopeful, since with all MMO games there's usually a sense of progression. If you've played for 50 hours and some guy has played for 5 minutes, you will have an advantage over him. He could still potentially win, but it'll be an uphill struggle.
    I'm hoping it turns out to be like Planetside. Planetside was one of the most epic games I ever played, until SOE cocked it up and ruined the whole thing. 10 man dropships landing in bases with tanks and robots coming in the front door and defending the cores from cover were some of the most tense things I've done in online games and I get the feeling blizzard could recreate and improve on it with enough effort.