Frozen effects breaking early.

So, I'm a new mage. He hit 80 just the other day and before this char I never played a mage before (played since EU vanilla release).
    I've leveled my mage as frost as it seemed to be the most mana efficient route and because the damage was just absolutely retarded (rolled on the day 4.0 hit).

Now something that had been bothering me ever since I got into Northrend, was that whenever I froze something (either CoC, FN, Freeze, etc) there was a SMALL chance my elemental's waterbolt would break the freeze, making my frostbolt/icelance hit like a wet noodle.
    Now while checking some random topics, I found locks complaining about this change:
    Effects which are broken from taking too much damage (Fear, Frost Nova, Entangling Roots, etc.) now break automatically from about half as much damage taken as before.
    Now apparently it's pretty retarded. Fear breaking on 1 DoT tick etc. But how about us mages? Do we need to turn off our pet's main attack to not fuck up our shatter combos?

CC breaking on damage? I see nothing wrong with this!

But seriously though, if you are talking about PvP people would have over 900 resilience so breaking CC would be normal for a new level 80.

Deleted
    I think i read some thing about this and they where going to double the damage it takes to break em as it was too low i will try and find an official post or at least some thing to back this up i'll post in a bit

Quote Originally Posted by DionLight7 View Post
    CC breaking on damage? I see nothing wrong with this!

But seriously though, if you are talking about PvP people would have over 900 resilience so breaking CC would be normal for a new level 80.
    Talking about lvl 80 non-elite mobs here
    But yea, CC breaking on damage isn't something bad. But whenever you attack something your pet starts attacking (at a cast speed faster than frostbolt) and breaks the CC which is otherwise used for burst damage.
    It just seems stupid that you'd have to turn off your pet's main attack (which you get from picking frost in the first place) in order for your skills to go off properly.

Anyway, thanks Althire. I'll look forward to your reply!

You talking about this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvqZunkd_MM

also if you noticed, i play a priest, not a lock

Ah, I didn't see the video, but the thread seemed to be focused on locks. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Althire View Post
    I think i read some thing about this and they where going to double the damage it takes to break em as it was too low i will try and find an official post or at least some thing to back this up i'll post in a bit
    I lol'd

Deleted
    Well i read it wrong they halfed the damaged needed thats why breaking easy now

4.0.3a patch notes
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Patch_4.0.3a
    Effects which are broken from taking too much damage ([Fear], [Frost Nova], [Entangling Roots], etc.) now break automatically from about half as much damage taken as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Althire View Post
    Well i read it wrong they halfed the damaged needed thats why breaking easy now

4.0.3a patch notes
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Patch_4.0.3a
    Which was the reason I made this topic XD
    Nice sig though

Yes, you do need to turn off your pet's attack momentarily if you want to have higher success with the shatter combos.

My advice would be to set your pet to passive and keybind /petattack and /petfollow to two easily accessible keys and get used to controlling when and what it attacks. Every time you freeze a target, tell your pet to stop. Then hit /petattack and Frostbolt at the same time. The waterbolt will go off after your Frostbolt Icelance combo hits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Which was the reason I made this topic XD
    Nice sig though
    Yeah sorry bout that though i had seen it some where but all i have read is some QQ's about it saying double it so its back to normal ^^

I'm not 100% sure how macros work but would it be an idea to have a macro such as:

/cast frostbolt
    /petattack

while keeping your pet on passive?

If I understand this right your pet should start attacking after your frostbolt is cast giving you time to get a shatter combo off, but I may be wrong. The /petattack command may just be carried out as soon as the frostbolt cast starts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightspark View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how macros work but would it be an idea to have a macro such as:

/cast frostbolt
    /petattack

while keeping your pet on passive?

If I understand this right your pet should start attacking after your frostbolt is cast giving you time to get a shatter combo off, but I may be wrong. The /petattack command may just be carried out as soon as the frostbolt cast starts.
    Won't work . If you keep spamming the "pet attack" command with every frostbolt cast the elemental will not actually cast. Because if you tell it "pet attack" whilst it'd mid casting it will stop casting.