Thread: 80-85

80-85

I'm intending to go for server first. While I don't realistically expect it on a high population server, I want to give it the best attempt possible. Any tips or ideas of how many days/ hours I should expect to reach it?

I don't believe that's what you should be worried about if you're planning on getting Server First. Meaning you should probably try to find out the best ways to level as quickly as possible, learn as much as you can about it. Just the desire to get Server First will hardly get you anywhere.
    Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable on the matter will post in this thread to answer your actual question.

I realize that. I have the week off work, have 25 quests ready to turn in, and pre ordered the digital version to start as soon as possible. I have a full plan, I'm just not sure what to expect time wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prepare to really not sleep much, Um when you are doing quests kill things on the way to quests just some extra XP, Run some dungeons so you get some nice XP from the Dungeon Quests, but make sure if you dungeon you do it with decent people it will go faster

I'm aiming for 14-18 hours straight

I'm planning on 30+ hours easy. I'm just curious if I'll only be 82 at that point...

10+ Year Old Account
    Do some 25 dailies and turn all of them in once Cataclysm is up and running.

That should give you a big XP boost to start off with.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Do some 25 dailies and turn all of them in once Cataclysm is up and running.

That should give you a big XP boost to start off with.
    Is this really working? Some people mentioned that XP for Lv80 Dailies has been disabled.
    But as usual those are just rumors, i haven't found anything to that topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phibi View Post
    Is this really working? Some people mentioned that XP for Lv80 Dailies has been disabled.
    No, You will be able to turn in the 25 dailies. Good way to get a half of level or so.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LandPirate View Post
    Um when you are doing quests kill things on the way to quests just some extra XP, Run some dungeons so you get some nice XP from the Dungeon Quests, but make sure if you dungeon you do it with decent people it will go faster
    Don't do any of this.

Judging by beta I quested to about level 83 and a half in around 12 hours /played. Admittedly about a quarter of this was in dungeons. I would expect that around 30 hours would be quite a respectable 80-85 time and probably put you in good running for a server first. I got a server first in wotlk and I had used wowhead to plan out my questing in advance, which quests to skip (high population + collect x of quests are not nice) and had them all written down in a spreadsheet including co-ords of where the best completion points would be. Once you've been up for the first 10 hours you'll be so far ahead of the rest of the server that you won't need to fight for mobs and it'll be plain sailing from then on. The only thing you'll have to worry about are "OMG how are you lvl 84 already, nolifer" whispers!

Quote Originally Posted by Phibi View Post
    there was a post last week, the interview ones, that said they are not going to do anything to dissuade people from stacking 25 dailies in preparation for cata.

When you do quests don't loot mobs unless they drop an item for a quest. You'd be surprised how much time looting adds up to!
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Khadir09 View Post
    I'm planning on 30+ hours easy. I'm just curious if I'll only be 82 at that point...
    depending on how hardcore you do it will be 85 or close to it.

as for op timescale.... if your not hitting or close to hitting 85 after 20 hours your probably not going to get server first more so if you have a beta tester on your server who has already leveled and practiced leveling on beta.

as for tips,
    first make sure you have plenty of water and healthy foods (fruit etc) for the grind
    second rest ALOT on the 6th to get the server first your going to have to play from the second the servers allow access to hyjal etc for about 24 hours straight
    third make sure your getting your copy via digital download or an online retailer who has a history of always getting games to you the day before official release (so the 6th) if your getting it from a store you have to think; are they actually going to open at midnight?; if they are how many people are going to turn up? you could be at the end of a really long queue; as soon as you are home you still have to upgrade account and install. all those things puts you at a MASSIVE disadvantage against someone else who is going for server first who got the game earlier than you and could get the install/account upgrade done on the 6th
    finally start studying wowhead, you need to get yourself super familiar with the quests and maps