Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

evangelism/archangel worth it?

I keep seeing disc priests from "top" guilds on my server(even though they're all just bad imo) specced into it and I don't understand why. Tell me when on earth is there time to cast smite when heals need to be tossed. Is this really something I should be speccing into because I can't seem to see it being worth the points. Is it going to be important for cata? I never have mana issues in any fight. Even with rapture being nerfed. Pop shadowfiend with hymn of hope and arcane torrent is enough for me. Heroic LK is a breeze and I still pull 50% of heals with constant bubbling. With that being said why are people actually using this ability!

if smite is talented, it heals also, so then you have time, since you heal with it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    But it's so unreliable on who it heals I don't see how attunement is worth it. And smite hardly does much damage to begin with that the heals aren't even large enough to suffice.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I keep asking then same, its worth on 5mans, yes but i don't see the point on it in raid envoirment, even if it's talented your smite is healing like for 2.5k which is pretty crapy
    http://spamheal.wordpress.com/

SpamHeal – Restoration shaman & not only Blog
    Shaman mechanic, theory and practice blog.

Deleted
    If you dont count the haste , with holy talent your smite is near 2.0 secs. When I first tried this I feel like time is slowing down. If they increase the Healing with or reduce the cast time it may be useful. But for now meh.

You use it when you don't need to heal to try and keep a stack going and get mana back
    You don't need it in Wrath but you will in Cataclysm

The point isn't to cast 5 smites directly in a row, unless there is really 10 seconds in which nobody needs healing, you just pop one out whenever you have time so that the stack does not fall off and then consume them when you need your mana back

15+ Year Old Account
    You can't compare Cataclysm raid healing with ICC, so you probably don't have an entirely accurate picture yet. I'd say wait till you've done new raid content before really scrutinizing.

I think it was likely nerfed a bit too hard considering that at the same time Heal was buffed quite significantly, so right now it isn't looking very appealing.

---------- Post added 2010-12-02 at 11:21 AM ----------

One thing I don't understand is why people think it's slow though. It's faster than Heal.
    Last edited by Ananan; 2010-12-02 at 10:32 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm asking the point of it now and if it were going to be useful for cata. Because they're really isn't the need right now. I've read a lot that disc probably won't be needing it from beta testers. My point is why people would want to bother speccing into it now, not much of a point until cata actually arrive. But why raid with that during heroic lk or rs for that matter. Waste of time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkist View Post
    I keep asking then same, its worth on 5mans, yes but i don't see the point on it in raid envoirment, even if it's talented your smite is healing like for 2.5k which is pretty crapy
    What in the world are you talking abut? its healing for 5 to 7 k for me unbuffed 10-11k in icc

Quote Originally Posted by lynguistic View Post
    I'm asking the point of it now and if it were going to be useful for cata. Because they're really isn't the need right now. I've read a lot that disc probably won't be needing it from beta testers. My point is why people would want to bother speccing into it now, not much of a point until cata actually arrive. But why raid with that during heroic lk or rs for that matter. Waste of time.
    There's not a need now because mana is not a problem, but where else are you going to put the points?
    Archangel makes up most of your T2 talents, you might as well take it now and not bother having to respec to get it later.

At the moment there is nothing else worth speccing into with current content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananan View Post
    I think it was likely nerfed a bit too hard considering that at the same time Heal was buffed quite significantly, so right now it isn't looking very appealing.

---------- Post added 2010-12-02 at 11:21 AM ----------

One thing I don't understand is why people think it's slow though. It's faster than Heal.[COLOR="red"]
    The thing is.. it doesn't really heal much at all and that can cost you lives.

And having to cast it 5 times makes it take a very long time before youre accually going to do what you are supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    The thing is.. it doesn't really heal much at all and that can cost you lives.

And having to cast it 5 times makes it take a very long time before youre accually going to do what you are supposed to.
    Cast once, go back to healing.
    As long as you cast it again before the stack falls off you don't have to cast it five times in a row.

But what are you comparing it to? Flash Heal? It was never supposed to replace Flash Heal. It was supposed to "replace" Heal.

Is it crap in ICC? Yes, but so is Heal.

Our guild's Disc Priest can 2 heal heroic Saurfang with smite alone.... And he does still do a significant amount of healing.

Yo Dawg, I heard you like Pirates. Well, I put a Bloodsail in your Bloodsail, and now you can Pirate while you Pirate.

Deleted
    I have specced into those talents as well, and yes it is worth it. you have around 20seconds before the Evangelism goes off and you loose your stacks. in those 20 seconds you have lots of time to cast another heal. If you have 5 stacks you use archangel, which increases your healing by 15% as well. you dont even HAVE to go to 5 stacks, every stack you have from Evangelism gives you the ability to use Archangel. and every stack gives you 3% increased healing if you use archangel. (so 5stacks = 15% more healing while Archangel is active). The CD of Archangel is, I believe, 30 seconds, and you have Archangel active for about 20seconds. so actually you miss around 10secs healing without the Archangel buff

Not to forget it gives mana back as well. Yup, great skill!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Power20 View Post
    What in the world are you talking abut? its healing for 5 to 7 k for me unbuffed 10-11k in icc
    Atonement
    When you deal damage with Smite, you instantly heal a nearby low health friendly party or raid target within 15 yards from the enemy target equal to 100% of the damage dealt.
    Your smite is hitting like for 10-11k, nerf that
    http://spamheal.wordpress.com/

SpamHeal – Restoration shaman & not only Blog
    Shaman mechanic, theory and practice blog.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, I still don't feel convinced. I just specced fully into and focused will and inner sanctum for survivability(and because unless your fully committing to the evange build, why not) and took the 2% haste and empowered healing which increases your four heals by 15%, which you lose when going with evangelism. But everyone has their own healing style I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkist View Post
    Your smite is hitting like for 10-11k, nerf that
    Nerf smite?

ICC has a 30% damage buff and a 30% healing buff. Evangelism stacks the dmg your smite does. So at 5 stacks it's doing 30% (I think) more damage too. That's a lot more damage and a lot more healing.

A single smite outside of ICC does piss all, you could argue they need to nerf the ICC buff but there's no reason to nerf a slow casting spell that hits for 3-4k unbuffed.